Hurley's belief in loyalty and building the right way proving to be right | The Boneyard

Hurley's belief in loyalty and building the right way proving to be right

Reaction Score
As many of you may recall, the following topic was hotly debated on here, particularly during last off-season (around this time when the staff was recruiting A.J. Cole, Joel Ntwambe and others):

Should Hurley run off guys who were not going to be major contributors to the team moving forward?

Interestingly, at least for those actively involved in the debate, the support for each side was fairly evenly split. Some agreed with Hurley and his being loyal to players who stuck by him and the program when he first got here, even if it was questionable if they could help improve us in 2019-2020 after a 3rd losing season in a row in 2018-2019. Others felt that he needed to cut bait with several players (in fact, Isaiah Whaley was considered one of the expendables by this group at the time) to get players into our program who could help improve our chances right away for this last season. Their point (a strong one, I might add) after 3 long years stuck in darkness, our team needed to improve NOW... and too bad if it hurt a few young men's feelings. They were not good enough and should not have been here in the first place.

I for one supported (and will always support) Hurley's position of being loyal to the young men who stuck by him when he first took the job as our head coach. Yes, it may have hurt our record last year (it probably did). But without question his and the coaching staff's standing by that group as they stood by him is a significant reason we are in the position we are in today - 2 top recruiting classes in a row, and more importantly attracting the kind of recruits who have talent AND the right attitude to have us back on the brink of the Top 25 and NCAA Tournament status once again.

It's great to be heading back toward contention again... and honestly it is even better because of the way Dan Hurley has gone about doing it. No shortcuts, no screwing people over. And don't think for a second that the right kind of young men are not committing to play here because of it. They are. And they will continue to do so in the future. I am happy that I am neither an LSU fan, nor an Arizona fan (or a few other colleges out there, I might add).

Thank you Coach Hurley... and thank you to this ultra-professional staff you have put together as well.

Oh, one other thing: WE'RE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK...

... and man it's going to be fun to watch DH mix and match these guys with all the talent and versatility he now has at his finger tips!

Reaction Score
I think a lot of this is right. Remember, take the stairs not the escalator?

I'm way past judging any coach in any sport by his words. The things I look for are tangible. Can he manage the clock at the end of games? Does his team give good effort. Are they in shape? Do his players improve? Is his team better at the end of the season? Can he game plan for different kinds of opponents? Do his teams show poise and confidence? Do the coach take responsibility after a loss?

With Danny, the answers are yes. Dam good hire.

Reaction Score
I don't think a coach should ever run kids out of town. Just because a prior coach brought kids in that might not be good enough isn't a reason to run them out.

Be honest with them. Tell them what they need to do to get better, recruit the guys you need to compete, and if they choose to leave, then they leave. But even though scholarships are technically one year contracts, I believe they should be honored for 4 years assuming the player stays eligible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Talk is good if actions back it up. When a coach says that PT is earned in practice, he better back it up by playing kids who are busting it in practice. And if a kid produces when he gets a shot, he deserves more time. Hurley's backing up his words with actions and whaddya know? He has the loyalty and respect of his players. Coaching's not easy but it's not rocket science either.

Reaction Score
I think the big factor in the debate was seeing Memphis run their entire roster out the door to bring in as much young talent as possible. While at the time we had Hurley focusing on building a culture and bringing in talented guys, but only they were the right fit. The consensus was that Hurley's method would work out the best for UConn in the long term, but was still difficult to swallow after a 3rd straight losing season. Well flash forward a year and I don't think there is a single person in their right mind who would say that Hurley isn't doing it the right way.

It definitely helps when you have a coaching staff that can actually develop players and get the best out of them. Isaiah Whaley's development was something truly special to watch. I can't wait to see how Bouk, Gaffney, and Akok continue to grow.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of this is right. Remember, take the stairs not the escalator?

I'm way past judging any coach in any sport by his words. The things I look for are tangible. Can he manage the clock at the end of games? Does his team give good effort. Are they in shape? Do his players improve? Is his team better at the end of the season? Can he game plan for different kinds of opponents? Do his teams show poise and confidence? Do the coach take responsibility after a loss?

With Danny, the answers are yes. Dam good hire.
Agree with your points..Danny is evolving as a coach as did JC (early in his BE career).. The coaches Danny will be coaching against in the BE will help make him a better coach.. He has also surrounded himself with a great staff..Has a great eye for talent..players and staff.

Reaction Score
One thing I will say is that Insaw zero quit last season. We almost got over the hump a couple games that could have given us more confidence and momentum but didn't. The Ollie teams down 7+ seemed destined to take the loss and get to the final buzzer regardless of what stink face was on at the sidelines.

We've got Bouk bought in, Akok gives his all and has a bunch of heart, and our newest recruiting class, and seemingly new court is gonna make us tough to beat in the Big East.

I can't wait!!

Reaction Score
Coaching's not easy but it's not rocket science either.

Coaching isn't rocket science, but managing a college roster in this day and age is close to rocket science. It's pretty amazing how Hurley in 2 years has completely balanced the classes with numbers and talent. You can tell the guy thinks about this stuff constantly and plans for every contingency. That is why he is going to succeed.

Reaction Score
I don't think a coach should ever run kids out of town. Just because a prior coach brought kids in that might not be good enough isn't a reason to run them out.

Be honest with them. Tell them what they need to do to get better, recruit the guys you need to compete, and if they choose to leave, then they leave. But even though scholarships are technically one year contracts, I believe they should be honored for 4 years assuming the player stays eligible.
I don't believe in pushing a kid out unless hes making poor decisions off the court leading to repeated violations. Hurley had done a great job since hes been here and man time goes by fast. It feels like yesterday we were all hoping he`d come here then the announcement and now its an influx of NBA level talent and on to the Big East in his 3rd season. Crazy how fast this all happened.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't believe in pushing a kid out unless hes making poor decisions off the court leading to repeated violations. Hurley had done a great job since hes been here and man time goes by fast. It feels like yesterday we were all hoping he`d come here then the announcement and now its an influx of NBA level talent and on to the Big East in his 3rd season. Crazy how fast this all happened.

I believe a recruit should be offered a degree, not just a year by year scholarship. Unless they blow it off the court, or in class, they should be able to take classes until they earn a degree.

This would kill the teams who actively recruit one and done players.

Reaction Score
I believe a recruit should be offered a degree, not just a year by year scholarship. Unless they blow it off the court, or in class, they should be able to take classes until they earn a degree.

This would kill the teams who actively recruit one and done players.
Isn't this what happens now? Unless you mean you can't use that scholarship even after they leave. Like with UConn/Drummond, he left after 1 year but he's said he's planning on coming back to finish his degree and he'd still have a "scholarship" when he does

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Isn't this what happens now? Unless you mean you can't use that scholarship even after they leave. Like with UConn/Drummond, he left after 1 year but he's said he's planning on coming back to finish his degree and he'd still have a "scholarship" when he does

Yeah, the scholarship is tied up for four year.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
One thing I will say is that Insaw zero quit last season. We almost got over the hump a couple games that could have given us more confidence and momentum but didn't. The Ollie teams down 7+ seemed destined to take the loss and get to the final buzzer regardless of what stink face was on at the sidelines.

We've got Bouk bought in, Akok gives his all and has a bunch of heart, and our newest recruiting class, and seemingly new court is gonna make us tough to beat in the Big East.

I can't wait!!

"One thing I will say is that I saw zero quit last season."

This is the most obvious difference between the KO years post title, and the DH era so far. Reminds me of JC's teams pre-Dream Season. Long may the two trajectories continue to track...

Reaction Score
I was definitely in favor of being honest with kids and absolutely making room for Ntambwe, because we needed a talent infusion so badly. I don't remember if I indicated who could be pushed out, but when you hear about a kid like Whaley adding 25 lbs in one offseason, those are the types you NEVER want to get rid of. They're willing to do what it takes and build that culture that made UConn great.

That said, we had so many non-UConn level talent players I just didn't see how the talent level could turn on a dime. But it has. Simply amazing job by the staff.

I have followed UConn recruiting since the mid-90s and Sanogo is up there with some of the biggest surprises we've landed (never seemingly being the "favorite" throughout). It feels so good to win those important recruiting battles. Cole, Akok, Jackson and Sanogo are those kinds of battles you have to win to go with the Gaffneys who are strong prospects in their own right but favor UConn already.

Great programs continue bringing in talent. They reload and kids don't have bad attitudes about guys coming in that could hurt their PT. Because there isn't a scarcity mindset in high-quality programs, no one is entitled to anything!!!! We are doing that. If someone at my spot gets better, it forces me to get better. I think the underrated aspect of Sanogo is with Josh. He put up a historically bad season last year. He was really strong as a sophomore so he has to come back as a quality player or he's relegated to the bench. I think he will come back much improved.

Competition does that. I think that's something that hurt Jalen Adams in addition to lack of a supporting cast being huge. He was always our best player but wasn't pushed to be all he could be.

I don't think I've been this excited about a season since Drummond committed and reclassified during a fantasy football draft many years ago.

Reaction Score
What do you mean "scholarship"? Why the quotes?

He'll have to pay his own way when he comes back (unless his NBA contract requires the team to pay).

Reaction Score
What do you mean "scholarship"? Why the quotes?

He'll have to pay his own way when he comes back (unless his NBA contract requires the team to pay).
If Drummond returns to UConn to get his degree, UConn pays for it. Thus scholarship in quotes because he's not really using one of the 13 for that season. Although Drummond was here 1 year so change it to Hamilton or Daniels for my example

Reaction Score
If Drummond returns to UConn to get his degree, UConn pays for it. Thus scholarship in quotes because he's not really using one of the 13 for that season. Although Drummond was here 1 year so change it to Hamilton or Daniels for my example

Thank you, i didn't know about that rule. Sounds good on the surface but I wonder how this part plays out...

Players must have been on scholarship and enrolled at the institution for at least two years and must have "exhausted all other funding options" to be eligible, the NCAA said. They must also meet all NCAA academic requirements.

So if they stay two years, they can come back within 10 years if they are flat broke and can't get a loan?

I wonder what the part in bold means in practice.

Reaction Score
Thank you, i didn't know about that rule. Sounds good on the surface but I wonder how this part plays out...

Players must have been on scholarship and enrolled at the institution for at least two years and must have "exhausted all other funding options" to be eligible, the NCAA said. They must also meet all NCAA academic requirements.

So if they stay two years, they can come back within 10 years if they are flat broke and can't get a loan?

I wonder what the part in bold means in practice.
I wonder if that's their way around paying for someone like Drummond (if he had qualified with the 2 year rule). Logically it wouldn't make much sense for UConn to be paying $100K or whatever for a guy who's gonna end his career with $100M+ in earnings

Reaction Score
I was definitely in favor of being honest with kids and absolutely making room for Ntambwe, because we needed a talent infusion so badly. I don't remember if I indicated who could be pushed out, but when you hear about a kid like Whaley adding 25 lbs in one offseason, those are the types you NEVER want to get rid of. They're willing to do what it takes and build that culture that made UConn great.

That said, we had so many non-UConn level talent players I just didn't see how the talent level could turn on a dime. But it has. Simply amazing job by the staff.

I have followed UConn recruiting since the mid-90s and Sanogo is up there with some of the biggest surprises we've landed (never seemingly being the "favorite" throughout). It feels so good to win those important recruiting battles. Cole, Akok, Jackson and Sanogo are those kinds of battles you have to win to go with the Gaffneys who are strong prospects in their own right but favor UConn already.

Great programs continue bringing in talent. They reload and kids don't have bad attitudes about guys coming in that could hurt their PT. Because there isn't a scarcity mindset in high-quality programs, no one is entitled to anything!!!! We are doing that. If someone at my spot gets better, it forces me to get better. I think the underrated aspect of Sanogo is with Josh. He put up a historically bad season last year. He was really strong as a sophomore so he has to come back as a quality player or he's relegated to the bench. I think he will come back much improved.

Competition does that. I think that's something that hurt Jalen Adams in addition to lack of a supporting cast being huge. He was always our best player but wasn't pushed to be all he could be.

I don't think I've been this excited about a season since Drummond committed and reclassified during a fantasy football draft many years ago.
I agree with your post.. Rip.. I am excited about the prospect of having the depth on the bench and the athleticism on the floor to play full court defensive pressure again (on occasion).. I think we will have the ability to use that to our advantage and wear teams down.. Esp when DH has his small ball line up on the floor.. 2020 roster finally allows DH to rotate fresh bodies into the lineup without any serious talent deficiencies from his choices coming off the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As many of you may recall, the following topic was hotly debated on here, particularly during last off-season (around this time when the staff was recruiting A.J. Cole, Joel Ntwambe and others):

Should Hurley run off guys who were not going to be major contributors to the team moving forward?

Interestingly, at least for those actively involved in the debate, the support for each side was fairly evenly split. Some agreed with Hurley and his being loyal to players who stuck by him and the program when he first got here, even if it was questionable if they could help improve us in 2019-2020 after a 3rd losing season in a row in 2018-2019. Others felt that he needed to cut bait with several players (in fact, Isaiah Whaley was considered one of the expendables by this group at the time) to get players into our program who could help improve our chances right away for this last season. Their point (a strong one, I might add) after 3 long years stuck in darkness, our team needed to improve NOW... and too bad if it hurt a few young men's feelings. They were not good enough and should not have been here in the first place.

I for one supported (and will always support) Hurley's position of being loyal to the young men who stuck by him when he first took the job as our head coach. Yes, it may have hurt our record last year (it probably did). But without question his and the coaching staff's standing by that group as they stood by him is a significant reason we are in the position we are in today - 2 top recruiting classes in a row, and more importantly attracting the kind of recruits who have talent AND the right attitude to have us back on the brink of the Top 25 and NCAA Tournament status once again.

It's great to be heading back toward contention again... and honestly it is even better because of the way Dan Hurley has gone about doing it. No shortcuts, no screwing people over. And don't think for a second that the right kind of young men are not committing to play here because of it. They are. And they will continue to do so in the future. I am happy that I am neither an LSU fan, nor an Arizona fan (or a few other colleges out there, I might add).

Thank you Coach Hurley... and thank you to this ultra-professional staff you have put together as well.

... and man it's going to be fun to watch DH mix and match these guys with all the talent and versatility he now has at his finger tips!
Six scholarship players didnt return after his first year? Big opportunity to remake a roster.

Reaction Score

I was particularly impressed with DH's loyalty to AG..He had a tough year..Up and down.. AG showed his loyalty to the Program and DH always had Al's back.. Hope Al crushes it at WSU..Awesome that he was recognized for the UConn Courage Award..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom