Hurley wore out his own team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley wore out his own team

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is the worst of takes. Team went cold the last 10 minutes, it happens. They score at all during that stretch and they win. Give credit for Nova for their defensive effort. They weren't going to let Bouk beat them in the 2nd half and it worked.

Reaction Score
Pay close attention. Hurley is a great recruiter. He has already proven that. But he has a LOT to prove as in in-game coach. Those are two completely separate things. Talent alone will win us a lot of games. He has to figure out how to win when that's not enough.
Maybe you and Hurley Sr can take him aside and give him some pointers?

Reaction Score
Team played a great first half in a big time game, they should have been pumped for the second half. But no, they came out and looked deflated, no energy, poor execution, basically bad on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
I wonder what YOU are looking at. We have a guy that gets consistently outcoached. It’s an obvious pattern.
This board has such a short memory, its insane. Lose to one of the best coaches in the country and suddenly he sucks and needs to be fired again. This was 4 days ago

20210220_164325.jpg

Reaction Score
This board has such a short memory, its insane. Lose to one of the best coaches in the country and suddenly he sucks and needs to be fired again. This was 4 days ago

View attachment 64829
Yup. And today he went right back to his old ways of standing and doing nothing. So he's gonna get called out for it.

Tell me, what did he do today to help his team win??

And tell me exactly where did I say "he sucks and needs to be fired"??

Reaction Score
Yup. And today he went right back to his old ways of standing and doing nothing. So he's gonna get called out for it.

Tell me, what did he do today to help his team win??
I thought his adjustment after the first 5 minutes to move away from Sanogo and Whaley together kept us in the game. I think that's been an obvious move for 16 games so I don't know why it's still happening, but its an especially bad lineup against Villanova.

I thought his timeout usage was also significantly better today, there weren't a ton of huge runs by Nova but I thought he was much more effective in calling timeouts early and not waiting for 3-4 dead possessions before doing it.

I think his substitutions are also much better, early in the year he seemed to be sticking to the script too much. We'd go on an early run before the U16 timeout and then we'd come back with 3 new players subbed in. That seems to have stopped this game and he's stuck with lineups that are working.

That's not to say I think he's absolved of any blame and he coached a perfect game, there's plenty he needs to improve on and it starts with the offense. He has plenty to work on and I think its a good sign that he's talking about all the same things we're calling out here in his post game press conference

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pay close attention. Hurley is a great recruiter. He has already proven that. But he has a LOT to prove as in in-game coach. Those are two completely separate things. Talent alone will win us a lot of games. He has to figure out how to win when that's not enough.
He's been outcoached this year by Wright, Anderson, McDermott, Willard, and the PC game was a distracted stinker.

It's his first season against better players and coaches. It's his third season turning around this program. Some games he's done better than others, much like the players. Some fans, are like that too.

You might be onto something, or you might be playing it too strongly too soon. We'll see. I'll be watching.

I

Reaction Score
I thought his adjustment after the first 5 minutes to move away from Sanogo and Whaley together kept us in the game. I think that's been an obvious move for 16 games so I don't know why it's still happening, but its an especially bad lineup against Villanova.

I thought his timeout usage was also significantly better today, there weren't a ton of huge runs by Nova but I thought he was much more effective in calling timeouts early and not waiting for 3-4 dead possessions before doing it.

I think his substitutions are also much better, early in the year he seemed to be sticking to the script too much. We'd go on an early run before the U16 timeout and then we'd come back with 3 new players subbed in. That seems to have stopped this game and he's stuck with lineups that are working.

That's not to say I think he's absolved of any blame and he coached a perfect game, there's plenty he needs to improve on and it starts with the offense. He has plenty to work on and I think its a good sign that he's talking about all the same things we're calling out here in his post game press conference
It's one thing to talk about them, it's another to change. I was encouraged by what I saw the last two games, playing more uptempo, getting into our offense quicker. I don't know what happened today. Another poster said it, but it seemed like once we got down by a couple baskets, everything changed and we reverted to our "losing" offense. I don't understand how that happens. I do agree with many of your other points.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ok sure. We are 10 and 6. Those 10 coaches must be horrible. Two of those losses were the result of missed FT. Hurley’s bad coaching no doubt. . Bouknight was out for some losses but we also won a few with him out despite Hurley being out coached. Villanova is better than us, certainly at home. IMHO, while I might not know what I’m looking at, your eyesight is somewhat hindered too.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In this thread people who just think basketball is running up and down the courts try to discuss why UConn players lost to better coached nova players. The conclusion they were tired lol.
I don’t know that Nova had better coaching. They have a marginally better team. That counts.

Reaction Score
Hurley finds ways to set his players up for failure. He better keep recruiting insane talent cause he's going to need it.
This x1000. Hurley proves once again he has a lot of coaching improvement to go. Got to be able to win games on less than perfect nights.

Reaction Score
This x1000. Hurley proves once again he has a lot of coaching improvement to go. Got to be able to win games on less than perfect nights.
You guys realize this was the #10 team in the country right. We are light years ahead of two years ago. Trust the process. Typical what have you done for me lately nonsense

Reaction Score
This is the worst of takes. Team went cold the last 10 minutes, it happens. They score at all during that stretch and they win. Give credit for Nova for their defensive effort. They weren't going to let Bouk beat them in the 2nd half and it worked.
100%. The team backed Hurley into a corner. Unfortunately, the only way for them to win today was with Bouk on the floor. This forced Hurley to sub him out only before each tv timeout for an extra minute of rest. It wasn't enough but the alternative was worse. This team without Bouk would have lost by 20 plus today.

Reaction Score
You guys realize this was the #10 team in the country right. We are light years ahead of two years ago. Trust the process. Typical what have you done for me lately nonsense
Sorry, he doesn’t manage in-game well.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don’t know that Nova had better coaching. They have a marginally better team. That counts.

you don’t think that j Wright out coaches Hurley? But you think they had better players?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
you don’t think that j Wright out coaches Hurley? But you think they had better players?
Huh? Yes, they have better players. Certainly overall more experienced players who’ve been together longer. They were favored by 8. Won by 8 Jay Wright is a very good coach. A top 10 team. What exactly were your expectations? What do you not understand about the shortcomings of our team.

Reaction Score
Huh? Yes, they have better players. Certainly overall more experienced players who’ve been together longer. They were favored by 8. Won by 8 Jay Wright is a very good coach. A top 10 team. What exactly were your expectations? What do you not understand about the shortcomings of our team.
/\
This. Exactly what was supppsed to happen happened. People on here who comment about being out coached and then say they are not even sure who played and who didn’t. Nova has players at all positions that can do things our players cannot. Every one can drive, and almost all can also shoot deep. They are #10, we are not. The better team won. That does not mean Hurley was outcoached. It means he either would have to outcoach Jay or his players would have had to do something beyond expectations to win. JC lost lots of games to top 10 teams when he was in the Big East. Does not mean, nor would most on this board, rail that he was always outcoached in those games. It’s not like we lost to Tulsa here. Everyone guessing the spread on another thread knew we were underdogs. Wow, the underdog lost. Shocking

Reaction Score
They died in the second half. You could see the legs were gone.

Why not give Adams some minutes to beat on Gillespie? Especially in the first half. Both Cole and Gaffney had two first half fouls. If nothing else Brendan is a tough defender. It would have kept someone fresh in the game. And Cole might not have died offensively, besides he had a ton of problems on defense. Heck a few minutes of Gaffney and Adam, or Cole and Adams might have helped kept Bouk fresh down the stretch.

Same with Sanogo and Whaley. Carlton could have have spelled them for a few minutes so each would have been fresher. Instead they went steadily downhill. And, perhaps Sanogo doesn't foul out if Carlton gets a few more minutes.

The team was dead tired by the end of the game. And two guys that might have helped didn't get a single minute. It's not like Cole, Gaffney, Whaley and Sanogo were buurning down the house and couldn't be relaced. Josh was very good last time out. And as bad as Cole was on Gillespie, Adams couldn't have been much worse.
Yeah was watching the game and we all couldn’t understand why adams wasn’t getting any run. Hurleys sub patterns continue to be strange. Of all the games to play adams given Gillespies style of backing u down, This wud be the game. Especially after Cole got worked on two and 1s in first half. Barely any mins for akok? No Carlton ? But then he goes extended minutes with Polley and gaffney? So strange

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Villanova is better than us right now. Seriously. Jay Wright obviously needs to improve. He was out coached. Should’ve beaten a guy who some here think made so many mistakes by at least 25 with the #10 team at home.

Reaction Score
First, we were cold all game except for Bouk. We didn't go cold.

Second, anyone with eyes could see that by the ten minute mark of the second half we were dragging. The announcers even commented on our legs being gone. A team with a seven man rotation should not be able to wear us down. We have a deep enough bench to come at a team like Nova with fresh bodies. Hurley simply choose not to. Which seemed odd given the excellent minutes that Carlton provided last game and the fact that Adams was probably our best match up with Gillespie physically.

We might have lost anyway even if we were fresh. But if you watched the game and didn't notice we were gassed....?

Reaction Score
They died in the second half. You could see the legs were gone.

Why not give Adams some minutes to beat on Gillespie? Especially in the first half. Both Cole and Gaffney had two first half fouls. If nothing else Brendan is a tough defender. It would have kept someone fresh in the game. And Cole might not have died offensively, besides he had a ton of problems on defense. Heck a few minutes of Gaffney and Adam, or Cole and Adams might have helped kept Bouk fresh down the stretch.

Same with Sanogo and Whaley. Carlton could have have spelled them for a few minutes so each would have been fresher. Instead they went steadily downhill. And, perhaps Sanogo doesn't foul out if Carlton gets a few more minutes.

The team was dead tired by the end of the game. And two guys that might have helped didn't get a single minute. It's not like Cole, Gaffney, Whaley and Sanogo were buurning down the house and couldn't be relaced. Josh was very good last time out. And as bad as Cole was on Gillespie, Adams couldn't have been much worse.
Simple, the guys you mention give zero offense... they weren’t tired, Nova just has more offense right now at more positions.. we will get there.. step off the ledge.. ?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If our 3's were going in, no one would be saying we looked tired. We didn't look tired, they were grinding but couldn't get the ball to drop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom