Hurley watching Etienne vs Santos 2/24 | The Boneyard

Hurley watching Etienne vs Santos 2/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only saw the last 4 min of regulation & overtime today, combined with a good portion of Santo's game Fri night. The quality of play overall is so much lower than the Brewster, Putnam Science, Patrick School, type play, that I find it hard to project whether these kids are really as good as their rankings suggest. I agree on the Dayton kid. Hurley has probably seen Etienne and Santos excel on bigger stages to be prioritizing either of them. Gaffney, Bouknight, Akok, Wahab, Cockburn, Richmond and Jackson were easy for me to covet. Sanogo , Clingan, and Karaban are easy to put in that category, and for me Elijah Huchins-Everett at Putnam Science is an impact player I wish we would push for. Javonte seems a project, and Etienne and Santos just refuse to make their talent obvious whenever I'm watching. I'd love to hear from somebody sold on these kids as players that have Jackson/Bouknight talent to be a top 25 team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Relative to nothing, In the mid 70s UConn had a player from Loomis who was phenomenal for them but didn’t have much of a career at UConn. His name was Billy Harris. I remember him because I knew the Loomis coach at the time, my cousin’s uncle on the other side of her family. One of the most decent people I’ve ever known and brilliant like his sister, my aunt. The worst word I ever heard him say was “shucks”. Supposedly he was a Major League Baseball level talent but his eyesight went bad in his early 20s and he went into coaching.

Reaction Score
Only saw the last 4 min of regulation & overtime today, combined with a good portion of Santo's game Fri night. The quality of play overall is so much lower than the Brewster, Putnam Science, Patrick School, type play, that I find it hard to project whether these kids are really as good as their rankings suggest. I agree on the Dayton kid. Hurley has probably seen Etienne and Santos excel on bigger stages to be prioritizing either of them. Gaffney, Bouknight, Akok, Wahab, Cockburn, Richmond and Jackson were easy for me to covet. Sanogo , Clingan, and Karaban are easy to put in that category, and for me Elijah Huchins-Everett at Putnam Science is an impact player I wish we would push for. Javonte seems a project, and Etienne and Santos just refuse to make their talent obvious whenever I'm watching. I'd love to hear from somebody sold on these kids as players that have Jackson/Bouknight talent to be a top 25 team.

What about Vladislav Goldin at PSA? He's highly ranked and is so close by we have to have seen him play.
Or is he not the right type player for Hurley?

Reaction Score
On the PSA Website Goldin has committed to Texas Tech

Reaction Score
With Etienne the offers kind of speak for themselves, but Santos IMO is a guy you wait until AAU play before offering. Other local kids like Murray, EHE, Casey Simmons, etc are in the same bucket. If they look good then offer, but you don’t need to be first to the punch with everyone.

If you’re in the camp that wants us to offer Santos, at least the staff is clearly making an effort with him.

Most of the 2021s we have offered already have bunch of high major offers (like Allen, Keels, Sanogo, Sallis, Etienne, Diggins, Patterson, Kepnang, Robinson, Reese) with the exception of a few local kids like Blakes (who’s already breaking out) and Samson Johnson. More will come, but there’s no need to go overboard with offers before the spring unless you’re absolutely sure about a kid.

Last edited:

BCF

Reaction Score

I like Santos from the games I have attended. Nice stroke, handle, and good athleticism. I really like that he is an alpha. Even when his shot is struggling he is going to score. He attacks the offensive glass and will try to dunk it on you. I think he would be a great compliment to Jackson at the 3 as they both have different skill sets. As far prep level A compared to AAA with brewster I tend to lean more towards levels A and AA. I think it is harder to judge talent at the AAA level because they are so much more talented as a team then the teams they play. You may get only 5-7 shots and 20 minutes a game at Brewster. Whereas someone like Bouk at Macduffie is a much more focal point in the offense. More shots, has to create his shot more, and face more double teams. Brewster has obviously put some talent out to the next two levels. But, they have also had a lot of players who "underachieved at the next level". Mal, Sid, Hami, etc would they of been better off playing somewhere else where they had to get better? Mac is the focal point on Suffield. Same can be said with Mac at Suffield. When you watch them play they will not look as flashy as brewster when they are up by 40. But, Mac and Santos impact is bigger.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
What about Vladislav Goldin at PSA? He's highly ranked and is so close by we have to have seen him play.
Or is he not the right type player for Hurley?
I don't see anything out there on him sans the 135-70 game.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
With Etienne the offers kind of speak for themselves, but Santos IMO is a guy you wait until AAU play before offering. Other local kids like Murray, EHE, Casey Simmons, etc are in the same bucket. If they look good then offer, but you don’t need to be first to the punch with everyone.

If you’re in the camp that wants us to offer Santos, at least the staff is clearly making an effort with him.

Most of the 2021s we have offered already have bunch of high major offers (like Allen, Keels, Sanogo, Sallis, Etienne, Diggins, Patterson, Kepnang, Robinson, Reese) with the exception of a few local kids like Blakes (who’s already breaking out) and Samson Johnson. More will come, but there’s no need to go overboard with offers before the spring unless you’re absolutely sure about a kid.
You’re probably underrating Santos because we just haven’t seen enough of him healthy vs high level comp because he missed last spring/summer and was recovering this fall. He was dominant on the circuit as a sophomore, a lot like Bouknight in regard to how his high school career/recruitment has gone. If he looks good in the first and second live period he’s going to get a ton more high major offers. What he does well; getting to the line, hitting jump shots, etc with his size translates very well. I’d put him in a bucket above Simmons and JuJu.

Reaction Score
You’re probably underrating Santos because we just haven’t seen enough of him healthy vs high level comp because he missed last spring/summer and was recovering this fall. He was dominant on the circuit as a sophomore, a lot like Bouknight in regard to how his high school career/recruitment has gone. If he looks good in the first and second live period he’s going to get a ton more high major offers. What he does well; getting to the line, hitting jump shots, etc with his size translates very well. I’d put him in a bucket above Simmons and JuJu.
I didn’t mean to say they’re all equally talented, just that they’re local kids that we’ve yet to offer but have watched.

Reaction Score

how does NERR have him ranked compared to those guys? They usually do a better job with local kids than the national recruiting services.

If he performs well during april aau, I bet we offer.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
how does NERR have him ranked compared to those guys? They usually do a better job with local kids than the national recruiting services.

If he performs well during april aau, I bet we offer.
Below Mac and JuJu but above Santos and EHE.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Is there any good video on Santos?

Reaction Score
Is there any good video on Santos?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Santos looks like a super skilled shooter with great size for a perimeter player(similar to Polley...prob better natural shooter at a young age).

Etienne is a big with great mobility.

Comparing the two seems apples and oranges. Getting both would be two great pieces, though, assuming Santos is the high major athlete those here who have seen him play seem to think he is.

Reaction Score
Santos looks like a super skilled shooter with great size for a perimeter player(similar to Polley...prob better natural shooter at a young age).

Etienne is a big with great mobility.

Comparing the two seems apples and oranges. Getting both would be two great pieces, though, assuming Santos is the high major athlete those here who have seen him play seem to think he is.

Agree here. Seems silly to try to get Santos to reclassify (not sure if we are but there was speculation at one point), but seems like a good 2021 fit as a Polley replacement. Seems to have Polley + potential.

Reaction Score
Agree here. Seems silly to try to get Santos to reclassify (not sure if we are but there was speculation at one point), but seems like a good 2021 fit as a Polley replacement. Seems to have Polley + potential.

Agreed. With Polley and possibly Bouknight gone after next year, we’ll need a guard and a wing. If spots open up this year, I would want an impact big (Sanogo or a grad transfer) or a grad transfer guard who is ready to contribute from day one.

Reaction Score
Somebody said Santos reclassified back to 2021 so he could go back to his original class and be a 2020 guy if I understood it correctly.
If the coaches think he's the lights out shooter we need I would think they'd grab him now. Hurley may think it's better to get them a year early rather than risk losing them to the more hyped teams who swoop in once the kids are more proven.

Reaction Score
Somebody said Santos reclassified back to 2021 so he could go back to his original class and be a 2020 guy if I understood it correctly.
If the coaches think he's the lights out shooter we need I would think they'd grab him now. Hurley may think it's better to get them a year early rather than risk losing them to the more hyped teams who swoop in once the kids are more proven.
I was the one who said that, I read it in an article a while ago, I’ll try to find the article and double check.

I agree with locking him up early if the staff wants him. Talent now is better than talent later, especially with in state guys. He has the frame and jump shot of a future stud, his recruitment could explode at any moment. He shouldn’t be priority #1 for 2020 but if we fill our major needs then bringing him in a year early can’t hurt.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I was the one who said that, I read it in an article a while ago, I’ll try to find the article and double check.

I agree with locking him up early if the staff wants him. Talent now is better than talent later, especially with in state guys. He has the frame and jump shot of a future stud, his recruitment could explode at any moment. He shouldn’t be priority #1 for 2020 but if we fill our major needs then bringing him in a year early can’t hurt.
I don’t think he’s a reclass possibility.

He is a strong candidate to go back home to Illinois and play with his team Puerto Rico buddy Andre Curbello though.

Hey @UConnStats @Storrs South do either of y’all have any info on this new heights kid we were recently linked to Bryce Harris? The video on him is insane he looks like a poor man’s Zion Williamson. I guess he broke the Long Island single season scoring record and led Brentwood to a title then transferred to some school in North Carolina? What’s his deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom