Hurley versus Edsall (and BD for that matter) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley versus Edsall (and BD for that matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsall came in. Cleared out the old regime players.

How many times does this Boneyard Myth need to be corrected? Diaco players still on roster three years later:

Peart
VanDemark
Leone
Coyle
Herring Wilson
Gilmartin
Fortt
Skanes
DeGeorge
Donaldson
Ian Swenson
Eddie Hahn
Donovan Williams
AJ Garson
Donovan O'reilly
Stanley Hubbard
Noel Brouse

By my count 9 current starters. Oh those darn facts always ruin a good story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley came in. Kept all the old regime players. Got behind old regime players. Tried to improve them to be the best they could be. Concentrated on winning. Talked about winning and made it clear that losing was bad.

Edsall came in. Cleared out the old regime players. Concentrated on the players he brought in, gave them all the minutes. Made it clear he was not interested in winning (until some point in the future) and ran down everything that came before his return.

Did I miss anything?
Comparing Football results to basketball results is apple and oranges comparison...if you bring in 5 basketball players that would be 1/3 of the team, if you get 5 football players that would be 1/9 of a team...

Reaction Score
I don’t see any wins against FBS opponents on the schedule next year. Any expectation that we will be better than Liberty or San Jose St is terribly misguided. We might get 1 win next year. I kind of expect it honestly. I’m waiting for the team to give me reason to expect more. To this point, expecting 4,5,6 wins is pie in the sky stuff.

Reaction Score
why are we comparing a highly sought after coach to one we picked up at SAVERs.
Randy is using the same playbook he used to build the program in his first stint. Slow and steady progress, built over several seasons. Nothing he does is flashy or for those seeking instant gratification. At his best, he won 8 games in a season.

Hurley has a record for quick turnarounds and big gains Year 2. He's done it twice before, and looks like he's on track for a third time. He's a proven winner in the short run, and needs Uconn to get a deep run in the tourney on his resume

I don't think 2 wins cuts it, but the team is measurably better than last year and looks to on track for getting better next year. I also don't think there is appetite to do another re-boot right now. If the situation were different, I think RE is gone on 12/2. Realistically, he has next year to get to 5-6 wins is my guess.

Reaction Score
That's true unless you don't have people with skills.

Look, the football roster was a total mess when Edsall took over and his real first recruiting class are redshirt freshmen and sophomores. If you look at all of the players that left UConn since Edsall took over, none were drafted by the NFL, only two, Darrian Beavers and Tyler Davis are starting for an FBS school, 2 others moved to FBS schools in reserve roles, a couple are playing in Canada, and the rest either quit football, went JUCO, or moved down to FCS or D2. How do you compete with that kind of roster?

Look who Diaco inherited: 4 NFL draft picks: Byron Jones, Geremy Davis, Obi Melanfonwu, and Foley Fatukasi, plus Andrew Adams and Noel Thomas. At QB, he inherited Casey Cochran, Tim Boyle, and Chandler Whitmer.
How are the Edsall recruits different?. None would be accepted as transfers to P5 schools and none are going to the NFL. A few could start at mid-tier AAC schools but not at good programs like UCF or Cincinnati. Edsall roster is a small upgrade from Diaco. Our roster is equivalent to the good FCS programs.

Reaction Score
why are we comparing a highly sought after coach to one we picked up at SAVERs.
Randy is using the same playbook he used to build the program in his first stint. Slow and steady progress, built over several seasons. Nothing he does is flashy or for those seeking instant gratification. At his best, he won 8 games in a season.

Hurley has a record for quick turnarounds and big gains Year 2. He's done it twice before, and looks like he's on track for a third time. He's a proven winner in the short run, and needs Uconn to get a deep run in the tourney on his resume

I don't think 2 wins cuts it, but the team is measurably better than last year and looks to on track for getting better next year. I also don't think there is appetite to do another re-boot right now. If the situation were different, I think RE is gone on 12/2. Realistically, he has next year to get to 5-6 wins is my guess.

9 twice

Reaction Score
How many times does this Boneyard Myth need to be corrected? Diaco players still on roster three years later:

Peart
VanDemark
Leone
Coyle
Herring Wilson
Gilmartin
Fortt
Skanes
DeGeorge
Donaldson
Ian Swenson
Eddie Hahn
Donovan Williams
AJ Garson
Donovan O'reilly
Stanley Hubbard
Noel Brouse

And he’s done his best to run these guys off, too. My bet is most with remaining eligibility are gone. This year’s Senior day confirmed that.

Reaction Score
How are the Edsall recruits different?. None would be accepted as transfers to P5 schools and none are going to the NFL. A few could start at mid-tier AAC schools but not at good programs like UCF or Cincinnati. Edsall roster is a small upgrade from Diaco. Our roster is equivalent to the good FCS programs.

Randy is not a good recruiter. He is pretty poor. He was average when he had the BE platform, but he is uninspiring. He should have better recuits simply because for the kids it will mean immediate playing time. How? If they can't beat out players that are on the field now, they really have no future in FBS football.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how they are measurably better! They are 2-10 and beat 2 of the worst teams I’ve ever seen. Temple just rang up 42 consecutive points on them. The team literally just quit on the coaching staff, the program and themselves. The AD can not allow this and bring back the coach responsible.

Reaction Score

Peart
VanDemark
Leone
Coyle
Herring Wilson
Gilmartin
Fortt
Skanes
DeGeorge
Donaldson
Ian Swenson
Eddie Hahn
Donovan Williams
AJ Garson
Donovan O'reilly
Stanley Hubbard
Noel Brouse

This list isn’t accurate. I know for sure. Vandemark was a Randy recruit. He started as a true freshman Randy’s first year. Pretty sure Swenson, O’Reilly, Donaldson and possibly others were Randy recruits as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom