Hurley, transfer portal, "total chaos" | The Boneyard

Hurley, transfer portal, "total chaos"

Reaction Score
And it's even worse for football than it is for Hurley's sport.

"In a different time, success in college basketball was about program building and player and personal development and continuity. Now, it feels a lot more like free agency or programs that are just putting together a one-year team.”

Hurley is right on the money. And wait until they add paying players to the mix. It will get worse. Dom Amore: UConn coach Dan Hurley calls it ‘total chaos’ in college basketball as new rules allow flood of players into transfer portal

Reaction Score
And it's even worse for football than it is for Hurley's sport.

"In a different time, success in college basketball was about program building and player and personal development and continuity. Now, it feels a lot more like free agency or programs that are just putting together a one-year team.”

Hurley is right on the money. And wait until they add paying players to the mix. It will get worse. Dom Amore: UConn coach Dan Hurley calls it ‘total chaos’ in college basketball as new rules allow flood of players into transfer portal
For Hurley it only feels like that but I don't think he's gonna be building UConn MBB up like a one year team. He understands the culture part. 2021 will indeed be a little different, but we'll be OK.

Reaction Score
For Hurley it only feels like that but I don't think he's gonna be building UConn MBB up like a one year team. He understands the culture part. 2021 will indeed be a little different, but we'll be OK.
The real difference is that UConn basketball is a "have." They will do nicely in the portal era.

Uconn football is a "have not" and we're going to get pillaged.

Reaction Score
The real difference is that UConn basketball is a "have." They will do nicely in the portal era.

Not so sure about that. Right now UConn MBB is still a damaged brand in a second tier conference.

Reaction Score
I'd be very worried about big money programs offering pay to the best G5 and independent players.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I disagree on this. I really see this transfer policy have the opposite effect. I see the top players at G5 schools going to P5 schools but they won't be as many as everyone envisions. Football just requires more time to integrate players and have them learn a system. I don't know if I see too many stand outs at a G5 wanting to transfer to a P5 to be a back up. Granted, they could move up to a lower tier P5 and likely start.

I see more P5 players who are stuck behind players moving to G5 schools and getting PT earlier. You'll see these G5 schools "scout" P5 depth players for when/if they enter the portal. It's going to change recruiting.

I think basketball is going to have a bigger impact because you have players who stay for a year or two. So getting a player to transfer for a year and then possibly leave is easy to do. You can easily build a winning program with pillaged top players from other schools. I think CBB is going to be impacted a lot more than CFB.

Reaction Score
Like UCFB, I feel this can be a good thing for a program like UConn, IF the staff looks to the portal to add talent. Not everyone there has a problem; some kids don’t fit the staff, the scheme, the school. It’s ok.

Sure, we may lose a few kids who feel they’ve become too good for us. But for everyone of those kids, there are 10 in the portal who could come in and contribute.

We should not be afraid of the portal. We should embrace it. Sprinkling in a handful of kids who have P5 talent w/a goal to get them on the field quickly, should be the perfect complement to developing 15-20 unpolished 2-3 stars every year.

My concern is our espoused fear is a reflection of a staff who is concerned they can’t build a culture unless they found the kid initially. For a program like ours, the portal has to be part of the path forward.

Reaction Score
I see this as a net positive for UConn Football. Sure we might get a good player poached once in a while, but we can pick up a couple transfers that can add depth and play immediately at thin positions. Basketball will be fine. No one will be poaching our players except the NBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We already lost two NFL caliber players to the more lax senior transfer rules.

How can you look at further easing and think it will good for us?

Reaction Score

Not trying to be a downer but what is their to pillage? That’s why I think it might be good for UCONN if Edsall decides to get off the dinosaur.

Yes, they would likely lose some starters to P5 and G5 schools. But they would also be able to nab some players that can be solid starters for this program.

I sound like a broken record but without a doubt the rich will get richer. Schools like Alabama and Clemson can pluck whoever they want from lower levels.

Reaction Score
UConn fans and media constantly under estimate our talent. We produce very good players and NFL prospects almost every year. And the players we lose are usually our best and most experienced players. We are turning into a minor league team developing players for bigger and better programs at our own expense.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn fans and media constantly under estimate our talent. We produce very good players and NFL prospects almost every year. And the players we lose are usually our best and most experienced players. We are turning into a minor league team developing players for bigger and better programs at our own expense.
This won't be a UConn specific issue. All G5 and lower will basically be minor league programs for the big boys. Heck, even some lower end P5 schools will join that list. The top tier schools will be able to take who they want and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's going to be the reality. It's like others said, we need to turn around and use the portal to our advantage. I also think there will be more HS talent available than before because schools will look more towards college players on current rosters over your 3 star players who might be depth at big time schools.

Reaction Score
Of course that would be a second tier conference whose members have won maybe 9 titles in the last 25 years.
Take off your basketball goggles.

Reaction Score
If Edsall can’t work the portal in his favor, that will be the last blow to his career. He needs to take advantage of the portal or the portal will take advantage of him.
He can’t allow a narrative to start that makes leaving UConn for P5 schools a regular thing, nor can he not chase players in the portal. He needs to be a shark on this.

Reaction Score
If Edsall can’t work the portal in his favor, that will be the last blow to his career. He needs to take advantage of the portal or the portal will take advantage of him.
He can’t allow a narrative to start that makes leaving UConn for P5 schools a regular thing, nor can he not chase players in the portal. He needs to be a shark on this.
He has had a major issue in the past because UConn doesn’t have the places to hide academically that they need. Many of the players even from very good schools really have accomplished almost nothing academically so it has been difficult getting them in. Do you think new president is more lenient with football?

Reaction Score
Oh you’re right, the Big East isn’t a good football conference. ?
It's not an all-sports conference so automatically second tier regardless of how many titles can be claimed in one particular sport.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not an all-sports conference so automatically second tier regardless of how many titles can be claimed in one particular sport.
So below Conference USA and Mid America conferences for instance?

Reaction Score
So below Conference USA and Mid America conferences for instance?
I'm referring to P5 all-sports here. The Big East is closer to the two conferences that you mention than they are to the P5 ones that I'm referring to.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm referring to P5 all-sports here. The Big East is closer to the two conferences that you mention than they are to the P5 ones that I'm referring to.
Well other than in national championships, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom