Hurley, transfer portal, "total chaos" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley, transfer portal, "total chaos"

Reaction Score
UConn fans and media constantly under estimate our talent. We produce very good players and NFL prospects almost every year. And the players we lose are usually our best and most experienced players. We are turning into a minor league team developing players for bigger and better programs at our own expense.
I think its too early to be an alarmist yet. Three guys transferred up. Davis graduated, went to GTech at a time when they needed leadership during a time of transition. His production wasn't all that great there but he became a pro prospect after spending time at a performance center, bulked up to 252 and got his 40 time to 4.6 at their Pro Day and probably killed any interview. What was left was Rose and Medlock. Very ok with that. DeGeorge went to Louisville, came in as the 6th OL, was versatile enough to play OG or OT and played well I believe for them at OT. Good for him. Maybe he is a better OT than OG. Here he was getting replaced at OG after the Indiana game because he was getting push around and only got his job back because his replacement got injured. No wonder he left. Coyle followed his head coach and position coach to another school. Its a shame he got hurt plus having a shortened season . Did he choose to leave after the guy that brought him into Purdue got fired? who knows. Coyle was great at running guys down but singularly or collectively they were not going to make a difference in wins and losses here when the front seven is getting mauled and opposing teams are averaging 280 yds/game and 7yds a pop on the ground plus having a tough time pressuring the QB on top of it the last two years. Thats it, three senior/grad guys. I would think more P5 guys dropping down for playing time would be how the pendulum swings.

Reaction Score
I find it humorous that after years of complaining about D2/RKG talent on the roster, we now fear losing that talent to P5.

At this stage, the disco crew is gone. Everyone here was recruited by this staff, stayed thru woeful seasons, and a pandemic. Why leave now?

If you’re in fear of the new rule, you simply don’t feel we can attract players here. More you fear each Travis Jones will, from here on out, leave after completing the Edsall polishing program.

Who in the NFL today left UCONN via the portal? Davis? This new rule would not have effected him - he was a grad xfr. Who else? Coyle? No offense, but he barely saw the field there. If he stayed, he’d have watched just like us.

This is batsh1+ crazy that we think this new rule is a net negative for us.

Reaction Score
I find it humorous that after years of complaining about D2/RKG talent on the roster, we now fear losing that talent to P5.

At this stage, the disco crew is gone. Everyone here was recruited by this staff, stayed thru woeful seasons, and a pandemic. Why leave now?

If you’re in fear of the new rule, you simply don’t feel we can attract players here. More you fear each Travis Jones will, from here on out, leave after completing the Edsall polishing program.

Who in the NFL today left UCONN via the portal? Davis? This new rule would not have effected him - he was a grad xfr. Who else? Coyle? No offense, but he barely saw the field there. If he stayed, he’d have watched just like us.

This is batsh1+ crazy that we think this new rule is a net negative for us.
Agreed. Yes it would suck if UConn developed a kid into a star and they left as a Jr or Sr to go fill a hole on a P5 Roster. That said if the coaches are doing their jobs correctly and building relationships that happening would be rare.

The overwhelming majority of the time the kids UConn will lose are non contributors dropping down to a more appropriate level of competition like FCS or moving to a different G5 Program closer to home.

UConn should be absolutely hammering the portal every year to bring in talent. Most kids in the portal aren’t discipline or grade casualties, they’re kids passed over on their current depth chart.

If I was coaching a G5 School I would leave a minimum of 5 slots open for transfers every year. Just because you can’t get these kids out of HS doesn’t mean you can’t land them the second time around.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom