Hurley talks about the transfer portal shuffle | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley talks about the transfer portal shuffle

Reaction Score
What about the stats that give him a .650 win percentage after year 1 taking over a program?
Suggest that you read the Stat Sheet again as Year 1 was 0.485 in the AAC. 0.650 was Year 1 in the NBE, or Year 3 overall.

Reaction Score
Suggest that you read the Stat Sheet again as Year 1 was 0.485 in the AAC. 0.650 was Year 1 in the NBE, or Year 3 overall.
Suggest you display some reading comprehension or read some of the other posts in here.

If you take out his first year at Wagner, RI & here (the year he took over someone else’s team) he has a win percentage of over .650

Reaction Score
Suggest you display some reading comprehension or read some of the other posts in here.

If you take out his first year at Wagner, RI & here (the year he took over someone else’s team) he has a win percentage of over .650
As we all know, one can manipulate data to prove any randomly made up statistic.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
145CB40E-1568-486E-B932-517A84DF819F.png

Hurley’s messaging has been clear. He’s believes he’s losing kids because he’s being honest with them.

Reaction Score
Hurley’s messaging has been clear. He’s believes he’s losing kids because he’s being honest with them.
telling floyd he wants to bring in 3 Gs that would probably be ahead of him in the rotation is a big risk but you gotta respect it even if you disagree with it. he's putting the players ahead of himself and taking boat loads of $h*t for it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
He's talking about adapting to the portal and change in player movement. The elephant in the room is that he won't adapt his system to take best advantage of the skills and abilities of the players he actually has. It's his greatest weakness, and it causes a lot of these problems. Instead of saying "I need exactly these kinds of guys to run my offense and defense" he should say "what kind of offense and defense can I run to get the most out of these guys".
Did you see the team we had last year?

He had 3 former 3* recruits starting all season for a top 25 team that made the NCAAs as a 5 seed.

I’d say he adapted pretty well to the talent he had on hand. Squeezed the most out of the guys who were willing and able to contribute.

What type of offense of defense would you have run that would have made guys like Akok or Gaffney or Diggins play better?

Reaction Score

He had 3 former 3* recruits starting all season for a top 25 team that made the NCAAs as a 5 seed.

I’d say he adapted pretty well to the talent he had on hand. Squeezed the most out of the guys who were willing and able to contribute.

What type of offense of defense would you have run that would have made guys like Akok or Gaffney or Diggins play better?
I don’t give him props bc it was obvious we should have recruited a guard that could get a shot off with quickness and a sniper. That’s on Hurley 1000% - & i said it all last off-season.

It’s crazy that we had one shot creator with very limited athleticism. I don’t think Gaffney looked comfortable at all as a PG, I had hope when he was a freshman but by sophomore we knew he was more of a 2.

It shouldn’t have been that hard - but Hurley was hard-headed! I’m glad he’s changing.

Reaction Score
I don’t give him props bc it was obvious we should have recruited a guard that could get a shot off with quickness and a sniper. That’s on Hurley 1000% - & i said it all last off-season.

It’s crazy that we had one shot creator with very limited athleticism. I don’t think Gaffney looked comfortable at all as a PG, I had hope when he was a freshman but by sophomore we knew he was more of a 2.

It shouldn’t have been that hard - but Hurley was hard-headed! I’m glad he’s changing.

Here’s a little spin. We had that guard on the roster, his name was Bouknight. If Hurley turned him into a lottery pick after three seasons instead of two we are probably an Elite 8 / Final 4 caliber team and we are having a different conversation this off-season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You answered your own question. His 6th man was a 3* recruit too. Two of those guys should have played less, arguably also Cole who looked worn down late. Akok and Johnson should have played more. Hawk should have played more. Perhaps even Gaff. I’ll get called a fan again, but Akok had the second best +/- on the team (tied with Martin). His DRtg was third best. His team defense was excellent even if his man D wasn’t. Covered for mistakes made by others frequently.

Johnson needed time to fix some things just like Hawkins, who was given that chance. We saw Hawkins get much better. Johnson likely would have too. Would have made us tougher and deeper in March.

Whaley and Sanogo shouldn‘t have played together, or at least not with Jackson. If you had Cole, Martin, Hawk, you can play Whaley at the 4. When AJ was in, it needed to be Akok or Johnson. Our starting lineup was a disaster.

Whaley should not have been asked to stand around on the perimeter. When Whaley played the 4, we should have moved away from 4 out and overloaded the post. People can cry about spacing but dual post offense brought the Celtics and UConn championships. It’s viable if you have the players, and almost no college team is equipped to defend it.

Reaction Score
You answered your own question. His 6th man was a 3* recruit too. Two of those guys should have played less, arguably also Cole who looked worn down late. Akok and Johnson should have played more. Hawk should have played more. Perhaps even Gaff. I’ll get called a fan again, but Akok had the second best +/- on the team (tied with Martin). His DRtg was third best. His team defense was excellent even if his man D wasn’t. Covered for mistakes made by others frequently.

Johnson needed time to fix some things just like Hawkins, who was given that chance. We saw Hawkins get much better. Johnson likely would have too. Would have made us tougher and deeper in March.

Whaley and Sanogo shouldn‘t have played together, or at least not with Jackson. If you had Cole, Martin, Hawk, you can play Whaley at the 4. When AJ was in, it needed to be Akok or Johnson. Our starting lineup was a disaster.

Whaley should not have been asked to stand around on the perimeter. When Whaley played the 4, we should have moved away from 4 out and overloaded the post. People can cry about spacing but dual post offense brought the Celtics and UConn championships. It’s viable if you have the players, and almost no college team is equipped to defend it.
That 2 big lineup was so boring and outdated. The real issue is that we had one guy who could create his own offense and he was barely 6’ tall. This year - if the players make the leap we expect them to - we should have 3-4 shot creators on the court at all times to go along with our 1 big. Newton, Hawkins, and Jackson need to be able to create for themselves. Newton is a proven asset, but Hawkins and Jackson have to take that next level leap.

Maybe Karaban and Johnson surprise us too and they have more elements to their game than just taking set 3s in the corner.

Still another couple spots to fill but I think this team will just flow so much better because we finally will have everyone playing in their natural positions

Reaction Score
i was just looking closer at corpus dannus, and a curious and repetitive fact hit me in the head - so far, for his entire coaching career, he's a 60% winner. matters not where he coached -wagner, rhody, here. 60%, 60%, 60%.
that's his career record. 12 years. odd, no?

we need more.
we want more.
one year. put up or shut up. (not you, him)

3 years to .700 at URI
2 years to .800 at Wagner
4 years to .700 at UConn

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I will definitely agree that hurley should have given Hawkins more minutes instead of Polley.

I wish Akok could have contributed more but he just looked so lost out there on both ends of the floor, personally idk that more minutes would have helped.

Reaction Score
I will definitely agree that hurley should have given Hawkins more minutes instead of Polley.

I wish Akok could have contributed more but he just looked so lost out there on both ends of the floor, personally idk that more minutes would have helped.
AA made the right decision for his BB future. At UConn where you need to be a two-way player-- His lack of mobility/defensive scheme rotations/explosion (post injury) exposed us too much. Whenever an opponent backed him into the paint--It was over. His help-side defensive blocks were what he brought to the table. IMO-His defense kept him off the floor this year for PT.

Unfortunate-but true. I hope he continues to gain overall strength and finds a place where his skill set can prosper.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That 2 big lineup was so boring and outdated. The real issue is that we had one guy who could create his own offense and he was barely 6’ tall. This year - if the players make the leap we expect them to - we should have 3-4 shot creators on the court at all times to go along with our 1 big. Newton, Hawkins, and Jackson need to be able to create for themselves. Newton is a proven asset, but Hawkins and Jackson have to take that next level leap.

Maybe Karaban and Johnson surprise us too and they have more elements to their game than just taking set 3s in the corner.

Still another couple spots to fill but I think this team will just flow so much better because we finally will have everyone playing in their natural positions
I get that it isn’t the modern game and may be “boring”. My complaint all year was, if that’s the lineup you are starting for defense reasons, then you have to run 2 big offense. But we didn’t. We ran 4 out. Coaches like McDermott destroyed us as a result. It’s one or the other. Change the lineup or play the offense that can work with that lineup. You never saw Kevin McHale standing around outside the 3 point line. Or Josh Boone and Charlie V.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom