Hurley talking next year and portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley talking next year and portal

Reaction Score
IIRC-In the Katz interview Dan mentioned that some of the NBA teams that are drafting early (Top 10) have been through Storrs recently to continue to do their background research on DC/SC. I'm sure that in those conversations Danny takes the opportunity to talk about his other guys in the Draft and what they think of their draft positions. Tristen-Cam-AK. He has been very careful and respectful of Alex's position but I'm sure he has input from the NBA guys about what their opinion on AK(this year) is.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It’s going to have two top 10 picks? Lol
Maybe not in the 2025 draft, but I think there are a few potential lottery guys on the squad with Stewart, Ball and McNeely.
Abraham, Nowell and Ross all could be NBA guys eventually (and Karaban if he returns).

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
That's not really an issue for Alex though. He's not going to be a lottery pick or even a guaranteed first rounder so the depth of the draft class is immaterial. He can definitely put himself in a much better position to catch on with a team next year if he blows up a bit next season.

Edit: should have read the whole thread. What somebody said above.
Duncan Robinson?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Zach edey went from not draftable to a. Lottery pick in one year
That’s apples and oranges IMO. Before this season the NBA looked at Edey as just tall.

He is still just tall, but he just put together a historic season and even more insane postseason that someone will take a late first round flyer just due to his elite skill in the post + 7’4” height.

Doesn’t mean it will translate to NBA success, however.

Reaction Score
Even our UConn guy Dauster never learns his lesson. He won't shut up about the unreal juggernaut Kansas.
Why do you want to be #1 so bad. Better to keep the pressure off. Hurley says this might be our most talented team, but definitely not the most experienced or #1.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Maybe not in the 2025 draft, but I think there are a few potential lottery guys on the squad with Stewart, Ball and McNeely.
Abraham, Nowell and Ross all could be NBA guys eventually (and Karaban if he returns).
Agreed on all of this. The question is how many of those guys will play like that this year.

Reaction Score
Why do you want to be #1 so bad. Better to keep the pressure off. Hurley says this might be our most talented team, but definitely not the most experienced or #1.
Agreed. I honestly hope we're like 10th going into the season. It will keep the pressure off our young team and give Dan a way to tell them we're being disrespected which will allow them to play with a chip on their shoulder.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
That's what I've been trying to tell people. We're absolutely loaded and we should be #1 preseason when AK announces he's coming back.

Been with you.

Reaction Score
Why do you want to be #1 so bad. Better to keep the pressure off. Hurley says this might be our most talented team, but definitely not the most experienced or #1#1.
I don't care about being #1 but we should be #1 when AK announces he's returning. Hurley didn't say anything about how they shouldn't be ranked #1 going into next year. He said we don't need to be as good as this past season to win it all again. Why have you not recognized that this coach and this program embraces being #1, embraces going back to back, and embraces their goal for a three-peat.

Reaction Score
This is very bullish for Karaban returning. I don't think Karaban is like Andre Jackson, where Jackson had to strike while the iron was hot and coming back was unlikely to help him and might have even hurt him.

I think there's very little downside for Karaban coming back, only the opportunity cost of missing out on a year of guaranteed NBA earnings, hence "1st round or bust."
Honestly if Jackson was on this team, we would have had an even better season... undefeated...? He would have been an all American and drafted high in the first round.

Reaction Score
I don't care about being #1 but we should be #1 when AK announces he's returning. Hurley didn't say anything about how they shouldn't be ranked #1 going into next year. He said we don't need to be as good as this past season to win it all again. Why have you not recognized that this coach and this program embraces being #1, embraces going back to back, and embraces their goal for a three-peat.
You're putting words in my mouth. Of course we embrace everything that we are. We are the #1 program. But its silly to care about who the #1 team is right now when every team in America will be completely different in November. Our team has a lot of work to do. We might return ONE starter. I want to see them earn that #1 ranking

Reaction Score
I think that interview was the most comprehensive I have heard from Dan. He gave insight into nearly every 2024-2025 topic we have discussed on the Boneyard. Alex & contingency plans, player development, Diarra's role, Aiden ability to play point, alluded to being able to play big at the guard position if desired, recruiting the 13th scholly only if a developmental player surfaced, expectations that Liam will likely have a Castle impact with same pedigree and Monteverde, etc. It is clear Ross & Abraham are not afterthoughts in terms of the roster next year, Ball & Stewart he expects a ton from.... He addressed re-recruiting the families as well as the players. The center position competition was addressed. The staff staying together. The staff worked to keep players on board. Singare expectations for were not addressed. I'd love to hear what they are seeing in him, whether we should expect a leap from him, or whether he is fighting for a spot but is prepared to have another development year. He lumped Nowell into a contributing statement without expounding on expectations for him.

As you would expect, nearly all his commentary is qualified based on what the kids will actually show through the preseason. Reading between the lines, I think he expects Alex to be back. About a half dozen times he mentioned 4 guys in the nba draft, or replacing 4 starters, and then each time he seemed to catch himself and add, or maybe 5. If he doesn't come back I think he was clear they would look to bring in a '4', but it seemed more of as an insurance piece rather than a surefire starter, because he believes the guys he has can do it.

Reaction Score
You're putting words in my mouth. Of course we embrace everything that we are. We are the #1 program. But its silly to care about who the #1 team is right now when every team in America will be completely different in November. Our team has a lot of work to do. We might return ONE starter. I want to see them earn that #1 ranking
Every team has a lot of work to do and someone has to be ranked #1 to start the season, I think it should be us when AK announces he's coming back.

You said it's better to keep the pressure off, I think that's ridiculous. This program thrives on lofty expectations.

Reaction Score
I think that interview was the most comprehensive I have heard from Dan. He gave insight into nearly every 2024-2025 topic we have discussed on the Boneyard. Alex & contingency plans, player development, Diarra's role, Aiden ability to play point, alluded to being able to play big at the guard position if desired, recruiting the 13th scholly only if a developmental player surfaced, expectations that Liam will likely have a Castle impact with same pedigree and Monteverde, etc. It is clear Ross & Abraham are not afterthoughts in terms of the roster next year, Ball & Stewart he expects a ton from.... He addressed re-recruiting the families as well as the players. The center position competition was addressed. The staff staying together. The staff worked to keep players on board. Singare expectations for were not addressed. I'd love to hear what they are seeing in him, whether we should expect a leap from him, or whether he is fighting for a spot but is prepared to have another development year. He lumped Nowell into a contributing statement without expounding on expectations for him.

As you would expect, nearly all his commentary is qualified based on what the kids will actually show through the preseason. Reading between the lines, I think he expects Alex to be back. About a half dozen times he mentioned 4 guys in the nba draft, or replacing 4 starters, and then each time he seemed to catch himself and add, or maybe 5. If he doesn't come back I think he was clear they would look to bring in a '4', but it seemed more of as an insurance piece rather than a surefire starter, because he believes the guys he has can do it.
To the Singare point I hope they have him sold on a Samson type plan. The playing time is there with Reed after next year with Johnson graduating.

Reaction Score
Every team has a lot of work to do and someone has to be ranked #1 to start the season, I think it should be us when AK announces he's coming back.

You said it's better to keep the pressure off, I think that's ridiculous. This program thrives on lofty expectations.
At the end of the season #1 sure. But I dont think Hurley shares your preseason #1 sentiment. We're returning 18.2 pts. I for one would put us #3 preseason behind Houston who is returning almost everyone and Kansas who is returning 3 starters.

Reaction Score

Some interesting things from this interview.

1. Sounds like D. Hurley wants to use A. Karban's scholarship on a 4 who can step in. He would use the last scholarship on a developmental guy if he finds the right guy.
2. He wants to get Ball, Stewart and Ross minutes but this seems like it might be hard if he brings back Alex or 4 who could contribute right away as it will limit minutes. This one makes #1 and getting an immediate impact player seem to contradict it.
3.He is hoping for Diarra to make a big step up from 6th man to take a bigger role. Sounds like he is hoping he can be a PG in the Newton and Cam mold.
4.Definitely knocks down the rumors we heard that Aidan was looking for more money to come to UConn as he was adamant he isn't looking for NIL chasers.

Reaction Score
To the Singare point I hope they have him sold on a Samson type plan. The playing time is there with Reed after next year with Johnson graduating.
If Singare comes back stronger he can play those minutes at Center when both bigs are in foul trouble and allow us not to move a PF into that position which we had to do out of necessity mostly last year.

Reaction Score
This is very bullish for Karaban returning. I don't think Karaban is like Andre Jackson, where Jackson had to strike while the iron was hot and coming back was unlikely to help him and might have even hurt him.

I think there's very little downside for Karaban coming back, only the opportunity cost of missing out on a year of guaranteed NBA earnings, hence "1st round or bust."
Top of second round picks 31-40ish also get guaranteed contacts too. This has been commented on and posted for some time now. Not as cut and dry as it used to be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's not really an issue for Alex though. He's not going to be a lottery pick or even a guaranteed first rounder so the depth of the draft class is immaterial. He can definitely put himself in a much better position to catch on with a team next year if he blows up a bit next season.

Edit: should have read the whole thread. What somebody said above.

Correct.

Alex's long-term financial stability for basketball is overseas.

There is such a low possibility he ever gets drafted higg enough where his salary, roster spot and tradeability make him financially secure in the NBA.

He can easily play in top European leagues and make a very good living playing basketball if that is his goal.

One more year at UConn vs end of the bench in NBA, or G-league, or 2-way contract, or Europe is no longer a major financial difference.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That's what I've been trying to tell people. We're absolutely loaded and we should be #1 preseason when AK announces he's coming back.
If DH said that we can expect a deeper rotation and more running (for us and opponent LOL) and pressure. Staff sessions on this would be very interesting so we will have to wait and see what gets unveiled. Truly believe they are going to be exciting but also have some growing pains with youth and changes. It's May 3 and I can't wait already!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom