Hurley talking next year and portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley talking next year and portal

Reaction Score
So what is this Uconn team ranked preseason under Steve Pikiel?

And yeah Danny is THAT good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I sometimes worry DH says too much.
be quiet season 13 GIF by America's Got Talent

Reaction Score
That's what I've been trying to tell people. We're absolutely loaded and we should be #1 preseason when AK announces he's coming back.
top to bottom is the key takeaway. having Ross and Abraham as our 10th and 11th men is amazing, but guys 10 through 13 arent winning you the chip. the top end talent, guys 1-9 are winning you the chip. we will be deeper next year but our top end talent was better last year, especially our starters, which is why getting AK back is key.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope Alex goes in the 1st round this year. The 2024 draft is considered one of the weakest drafts in history. If he doesn’t get a first round grade this year, coming back he would need a massive season to get a 1st round grade next year in a much stronger and deeper draft.
Zach edey went from not draftable to a. Lottery pick in one year

Reaction Score
As I said somewhere else, the team won't be as dominant as it was this year, at least not in the same way. What it will be able to do is play 8, 9, even 10 guys if necessary without too much drop off and just wear down opponents, more like the 2022-2023 team did. It will also have a lot of buffer against foul trouble, and (knock on wood) injuries.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't buy into the narrative Alex won't improve his stock by coming back.

It'll be his team, he'll lead us in scoring and up his scoring average. By transitioning into a larger on ball roll, he'll be able to show off his passing IQ more often as well. If he gets up to a 16-6-3 average on his normal splits? That's a lock first round pick, NBA teams would drool over a player with his role player skills.

Being a year older isn't as important for guys who don't project as future all stars. I don't think a playoff team passes on him at picks 20-30 because he's 21 instead of 20, they'd look at him as a more developed role player.

Reaction Score

It'll be his team, he'll lead us in scoring and up his scoring average. By transitioning into a larger on ball roll, he'll be able to show off his passing IQ more often as well. If he gets up to a 16-6-3 average on his normal splits? That's a lock first round pick, NBA teams would drool over a player with his role player skills.

Being a year older isn't as important for guys who don't project as future all stars. I don't think a playoff team passes on him at picks 20-30 because he's 21 instead of 20, they'd look at him as a more developed role player.
Problem is next years draft seems considerably better. So even if he improves alot to some he is going against much better or better players in the draft.. (what the talking heads say)

Reaction Score

even if it doesn't guarantee him as a first round lock it would definitely make him more appealing as someone that could make an opening day roster and set himself up for a guaranteed deal as a 2nd round pick. with the new CBA teams are prioritizing 2nd rounders more to fill out the margins of a roster and looking to sign them to the type of deals AJ got

Reaction Score
Problem is next years draft seems considerably better. So even if he improves alot to some he is going against much better or better players in the draft.. (what the talking heads say)

That's not really an issue for Alex though. He's not going to be a lottery pick or even a guaranteed first rounder so the depth of the draft class is immaterial. He can definitely put himself in a much better position to catch on with a team next year if he blows up a bit next season.

Edit: should have read the whole thread. What somebody said above.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm of the belief that when people say a draft is weak they really mean the top 5. Every draft has guys that will play in the league, it's just casuals who don't care to evaluate role players.

Reaction Score

"you lay some ground work potentially with that situation in case Alex ends up going, so you obviously have some contingencies that you prepare for that way"

interpretation- hurley has identified (and possibly even contacted) some stretch 4 options in the portal incase AK stays in the draft

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom