Hurley Suprises | The Boneyard

Hurley Suprises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seemed last year that Hurley unveiled a number of wrinkles that they did not reveal during the regular season. Did anyone else notice that last year. I am curious what different dynamics he will add to their offensive sets this year. Adama with the 6 assist in the first half against Gonzaga was beautiful

Reaction Score
It seemed last year that Hurley unveiled a number of wrinkles that they did not reveal during the regular season. Did anyone else notice that last year. I am curious what different dynamics he will add to their offensive sets this year. Adama with the 6 assist in the first half against Gonzaga was beautiful
That’s because they had to double cuz Timme is such a bad defender so they threw a much smaller Watson on Adama.

Reaction Score
We run really complex sets that are going to be very difficult for teams that have never played this squad before. I don’t know that there is a need to throw in wrinkles just for the heck of it.
I dont think he would throw wrinkles for the heck of it....but Hurley seems like the type of coach that keeps some stuff secret until tournament time. I think I recall an Interview with Calhoun, or maybe another coach that talked about keeping a few things for the tournament that you don't reveal....maybe I am wrong...certainly the Adama example was a poor one, because that had more to do with what the defense is giving us...I am not nuanced enough to see all the variations...but it was just a random thought.

Reaction Score
This is a psychology job just get the team to play loose, not tight whatever. Keep from getting over amped up.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley has averaged 0.33 wrinkles per game since Game 1 of last year. Yes, some wrinkles were repeat wrinkles but hey, how many wrinkles can you execute with a roster of 8 or 9? This team is so incredible that I do not see a jump in this stat. Maybe, if Stephon Castle can be utilized where he cuts to the rim more and taking passes from Tristen and Cam, then that wrinkle percentage goes up.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I saw a video of Cling hit 7 or 8 shots in a row from behind the corner three point line during shoot around today…

Happy Parks And Rec GIF

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I dont think he would throw wrinkles for the heck of it....but Hurley seems like the type of coach that keeps some stuff secret until tournament time. I think I recall an Interview with Calhoun, or maybe another coach that talked about keeping a few things for the tournament that you don't reveal....maybe I am wrong...certainly the Adama example was a poor one, because that had more to do with what the defense is giving us...I am not nuanced enough to see all the variations...but it was just a random thought.
I’ve got a secret. Cam and Alex hit their 3’s in tourney at season average, we roll. They don’t then no wrinkle will matter. We can still win but will be in a fight. There is no defense in the NCAA tourney we need to “ prepare” for . It’s more about how well their defense prepares for our offense.

Reaction Score
Way harder and tougher for a non-BE team to scout us well when we run so many plays and variants, even without additional wrinkles, especially without too much time.

Reaction Score
My Wrinkle Prediction: DC becomes a perimeter threat from deep.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
My Wrinkle Prediction: DC becomes a perimeter threat from deep.
You really think we need DC shooting 3s to beat Stetson? C'mon man.

Reaction Score
I think what got us to the #1 overall seed worked pretty well, let's try that
Obviously we start with that, and our opponents will be unfamiliar with us, but we are going to be scouted harder than anyone and it helps to have wrinkles in our back pocket if needed.

Last year's team had more obvious weaknesses (Jackson not being able to shoot or score on drives to the lane) that we needed to be prepared to cover up proactively, but even this year we should have some backup plans.

Reaction Score
I saw a video of Cling hit 7 or 8 shots in a row from behind the corner three point line during shoot around today…

Happy Parks And Rec GIF
Play Clingan at the 5, run him out to the corner and Samson at the 4 and then just shoot the 3 and misses Samson alley oop rebounds slams

Jim

Reaction Score
Part of what makes this offense complex (and hard to defend) is that the sets are not cast in stone. There is a general concept about what folks are supposed to do, but the beauty is that the players read what the defense is trying to take away and what the defense has to give up to take away that first motion. It is then that the exploitation of what the defense gives up that makes the offense so potent. For example, that is why you see Alex and Cam get the backdoor layups when the opponents over commit to guard against the 3's.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
If DC starts taking 3s he better be making 3s.
Only reason I could see him firing threes is bc we’re playing Purdue and Edey refuses to leave the paint on defense 90% of the time. If he made them consistently, he’d drop 30 with ease on the Boilermakers. But that’s for another day…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom