Hurley said this during half time show interview | The Boneyard

Hurley said this during half time show interview

Reaction Score
When Clark and Charles asked “coach, what have changed?”

Dan said he used to fight with refs all the time and it became distraction to the team and he owned that up and stopped fighting and instead started paying attention to his players, game situations, and the things he can control.

There it is! He will soon become the coach we all want him to be!

Reaction Score
It even p'd me off when JC would get technicals. I'm a firm believer that riding refs has more negative effects than benefits. No one, ref or otherwise, likes to be told they're bad at their job, and retaliation is the more likely result.

Reaction Score
There was no doubt that Hurley’s sideline demeanor and especially as it related to the refs was hurting his team. We all saw it.

That he recognized it and made the change shows real maturity as a coach and a human.

To admit it to a national audience shows humility.

We are watching the evolution of Coach Hurley in real time.

Reaction Score
It’s a story that plays well, so I don’t mind it, but they got great again when they figured out how to balance letting Andre play free and giving him some limits and explicit directions on his offensive (shooting) role.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s a story that plays well, so I don’t mind it, but they got great again when they figured out how to balance letting Andre play free and giving him some limits on his offensive (shooting) role.
I’ll give this a like because yes it was very important.

More important was the improvement in defense. We played terrible D during that stretch and you can definitely argue that Andre’s offensive struggles effected his and the team’s defensive focus.

Reaction Score
It’s a story that plays well, so I don’t mind it, but they got great again when they figured out how to balance letting Andre play free and giving him some limits on his offensive (shooting) role.
No doubt the changes Hurley made on the court had a much larger impact in turning around the mid season skid than the changes he made on the sideline.

But still. Hurly learning to keep his emotions in check has certainly helped. And those kind of adjustments will continue to pay dividends for years .

Reaction Score
No doubt the changes Hurley made on the court had a much larger impact in turning around the mid season skid than the changes he made on the sideline.

But still. Hurly learning to keep his emotions in check has certainly helped. And those kind of adjustments will continue to pay dividends for years .
It’s the changes in his focus that lead to changes on the court. He is paying attention to game situations and players instead of burning cycles being enraged and chasing refs. He’s working the game not the refs. That’s huge.

Reaction Score
It’s the changes in his focus that lead to changes on the court. He is paying attention to game situations and players instead of burning cycles being enraged and chasing refs. He’s working the game not the refs. That’s huge.

That’s Dan’s whole point. He see things more on the court when he has emotion in check.

Reaction Score

Dan said he used to fight with refs all the time and it became distraction to the team and he owned that up and stopped fighting and instead started paying attention to his players, game situations, and the things he can control.

This is the second time hes mentioned big east refs. He should really knock that off.

Reaction Score

So much of it is just perception. In any case, I am enjoying the heck out of this season, and it seems like more UConn fans are starting to figure out their coach a little more. He can be a tough guy to get to know, but it’s worth it, imo.

Reaction Score
I’ll give this a like because yes it was very important.

More important was the improvement in defense. We played terrible D during that stretch and you can definitely argue that Andre’s offensive struggles effected his and the team’s defensive focus.

Defense was atrocious for a stretch. It was the most un-Hurley like defense I’ve seen from one of his teams ever, especially one with this much talent.

Reaction Score
I took it exactly opposite. He put the blame on himself and said it was his fault. He didn’t apologize for the bad officiating but said he needed to stop his distracting behavior.
Yeah thats one way to take it. Id just rather he not mention the refs because they may take it the way they want to take it.

Reaction Score
Not sure what his contract situation is but Storrs is about to back up the truck for him...

Reaction Score
I mean, it's mostly because he got Sanogo to face up, had Jackson cut to and lurk on the baseline, and made Sanogo a willing passer.

But it'll be good if Hurley is able to work the refs into at worst a neutral whistle and not start every game behind the 8 ball.

Reaction Score
Helps when you have a HOF dad somewhere around.
And Calhoun and Geno as well. 3 of the best to do it at your disposal. Great staff as well. What a luxury. DH is sometimes defined as stubborn but it seems he is actually very introspective. It might take him a minute to get there, but with time and self reflection he seems to eventually get it right. I like people that don't think they know it all and are constantly willing to learn and evolve.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
th (21).jpg

Reaction Score

1679886255027.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom