Hurley Radio show recruiting comment | The Boneyard

Hurley Radio show recruiting comment

Reaction Score
I was just listening to Coach Hurley on his weekly radio show. A question was posed to him about this years recruiting. He paused and said "Let's see how do I answer this without getting a call from NCAA compliance?" Then he went on to talk about Gaffney and Bouknight. But after that he said "we just need to be patient and keep working hard. But I think we are going to end up with a great, great class."

Other thing I loved to hear was he talked about how he saw JC today - him and Moore cornered JC and they talked for 20 min and get so pumped up talking to him. Hurley is really no dummy - he has embraced all the resources at his disposal. He has THREE Hall of Fame coaches he talks to regularly (his Dad, JC and Geno).

Every time I listen to him I know the program is in great hands. Now.......let's get back to being patient before we get that "great, great class."

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Definitely an interesting listen and I like him more and more every time I hear him. I liked what he said about recruiting players from winning programs who are used to being coached. Also thought it was interesting the comments he made on how he was expecting Cobb to be knocking on his door asking him to start after syracuse/iowa. He said something about him being "almost too good a teammate". It almost sounded like he was disappointed Cobb didn't challenge him for more minutes

Reaction Score
UConn may lead but Akok still a mystery

Interesting article. The more I think about it, Akok would be such a great get for us, but he should just practice with the team during second semester. It would be very hard to get up to speed and especially get in the type of shape that is required in Hurley's system during the middle of the season...and this isn't even mentioning the possible chemistry issues for a team that is bonding and buying in but still vulnerable.

Reaction Score

Interesting article. The more I think about it, Akok would be such a great get for us, but he should just practice with the team during second semester. It would be very hard to get up to speed and especially get in the type of shape that is required in Hurley's system during the middle of the season...and this isn't even mentioning the possible chemistry issues for a team that is bonding and buying in but still vulnerable.
If he's good enough to play right now, I think you play him. We have 3 players on the roster that are 3s or 4s (Polley, Wilson, Diarra), and 2 of those are question marks. If Akok is good enough to get minutes on this team, chances are he's going to be to good to stay 4.5 years here anyway. He's old for the 2019 class, and I don't think he has any intention of being in college at age 24. Hurley will want to make this year's team as successful as possible, and if that means not redshirting him, I'm fine with it.

Reaction Score

Considering he may not be a four year player, using him only for pratice would be a huge waste. If he can help (and he would) he should play.

Reaction Score
Considering he may not be a four year player, using him only for pratice would be a huge waste. If he can help (and he would) he should play.

What if he isn't in college shape (stamina-wise)?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
rIf Akok is good enough to get minutes on this team, chances are he's going to be to good to stay 4.5 years here anyway. He's old for the 2019 class, and I don't think he has any intention of being in college at age 24. Hurley will want to make this year's team as successful as possible, and if that means not redshirting him, I'm fine with it.

Yes. So important to do well this year, and announce our presence with authority.

Reaction Score
Play him 15-20 minutes. I'm sure he can handle that.

The rim protection is worth it alone.
Exactly, or if we just need another swing man-ish body to pick up some fouls for a few minutes in a game. As others have said, if he's likely not going to use all 4 years of eligibility, don't let a minute go to waste

Reaction Score
Yes. So important to do well this year, and announce our presence with authority.
He may not be as good as Polley is right now, but he’d at least enable Polley and Wilson to play the 3 more often, meaning less crazy small lineups, which would likely help our defense. If he isn’t going to play much at all, then it’d be a different story. Clearly Akok thinks he’s ready though.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
He spoke at length about landing a big who you can throw the ball into and dominate which I took as meaning Cockburn but could also mean Mitchell. As I spoke about in previous threads we are trending up for Mitchell and have always been in the mix for Cockburn as we have numerous Queens connections and a relationship with the handler. I really really like our chances at landing one of the two. Akok + Mitchell/Cockburn would be the best recruiting class we’ve had since 2006 according to ESPN rankings(a class that eventually reached the final 4 in 2009).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He may not be as good as Polley is right now, but he’d at least enable Polley and Wilson to play the 3 more often, meaning less crazy small lineups, which would likely help our defense. If he isn’t going to play much at all, then it’d be a different story. Clearly Akok thinks he’s ready though.

All true, and as I alluded to above, we are in desperate need of consistent rim protection from an athletic player who is not a complete black hole on offense.

The follow on for the perimeter D would be worth it alone.

Reaction Score
Akok has shown he’s a work in progress against other high schoolers. Currrent players with college experience are showing that they’re still struggling to fully grasp Hurley’s defensive approach at times. Immediate playing time sounds like it could be a disaster and not beneficial to his long term development. Getting him access to college-level trainers and workouts is the benefit to him enrolling for the second semester.

pj

Reaction Score
Even if Akok isn't ready for major minutes right away, it makes sense to play him and let him get his feet wet.

C

Chief00

Definitely an interesting listen and I like him more and more every time I hear him. I liked what he said about recruiting players from winning programs who are used to being coached. Also thought it was interesting the comments he made on how he was expecting Cobb to be knocking on his door asking him to start after syracuse/iowa. He said something about him being "almost too good a teammate". It almost sounded like he was disappointed Cobb didn't challenge him for more minutes

Coach Hurley is trying to built a relationship with Mass Rivals.

C

Chief00

Akok has shown he’s a work in progress against other high schoolers. Currrent players with college experience are showing that they’re still struggling to fully grasp Hurley’s defensive approach at times. Immediate playing time sounds like it could be a disaster and not beneficial to his long term development. Getting him access to college-level trainers and workouts is the benefit to him enrolling for the second semester.
I agree.

Reaction Score

You never really know what you have until you see a a player with real bullets being fired.

Reaction Score
Josh and Eric have some beef, uhnfortunately, Sid, Tyler and Isiah are all extremely thin which is normally not good for rebounding. But we have seen Donyell and Rip both be great although very slender. If this team rebounds well at the 4 it will be the result of tenacity not pysical stature. And that would be a big win for Hurley.

Reaction Score
I was just listening to Coach Hurley on his weekly radio show. A question was posed to him about this years recruiting. He paused and said "Let's see how do I answer this without getting a call from NCAA compliance?" Then he went on to talk about Gaffney and Bouknight. But after that he said "we just need to be patient and keep working hard. But I think we are going to end up with a great, great class."

Other thing I loved to hear was he talked about how he saw JC today - him and Moore cornered JC and they talked for 20 min and get so pumped up talking to him. Hurley is really no dummy - he has embraced all the resources at his disposal. He has THREE Hall of Fame coaches he talks to regularly (his Dad, JC and Geno).

Every time I listen to him I know the program is in great hands. Now..let's get back to being patient before we get that "great, great class."
4 if you include coach Daley!! Just sayin who has 4 in an entire history let alone one contract?!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom