Hurley post Nova presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley post Nova presser

Reaction Score
What I thought was interesting about both press conferences.
1. Kyle Neptune said he was happy with how they played with the exception of fast break points. How can you as a coach, after losing by 24, have that sort of assessment?
2. Hurley mentioned that Cam Spencer sometimes avoids more difficult shots and that he has to shoot it sometimes when it isn't always wide open. I was thinking that exact thought during the entire Creighton game. He needs to force it a bit at times. not necessarily bad shots, but put it up when there is a little less room for comfort against good defense.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East was doing just fine the years UConn wasn't a part of the league. Lets keep in mind that it was UConn that was struggling during that period, not the Big East.

We can save ourselves those comments that can only be deemed as arrogant by other fans. UConn-Big East Is simply a great marriage. But no ones own anything.

The brand, the conference tournament, the culture and spirit of the league has withstood numerous raids. The Big East has survived the test of time

Now, lets go ahead and win the whole damn thing!
Yep, it's a false reality some on this board have repeatedly voiced that the Big East was suffering/done without UConn. Of course UConn provides a big boost to the conference because we're the biggest name and winningest program but Nova was the best program in the country when UConn was gone and other programs stepped up. There wasn't a ton of success in the tournament from the other programs but Nova won two national championships, the league always got plenty of bids and they had several #1 seeds. The Covid canceled year really hurt the Big East in terms of results as they had several teams who had the rosters to make it to the final 4.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but if we received an invite to a Big 4 conference we would have to take it. The landscape ($) is being set up for the big 4 to simply overrun the smaller conferences. We can fantasize all we want that the Big East remain a top level hoops conference and it may still be for a few more years but the handwriting is on the wall.
Of course UConn would go but the Big East isn't going anywhere as currently constructed.

Reaction Score
Yep, it's a false reality some on this board have repeatedly voiced that the Big East was suffering/done without UConn. Of course UConn provides a big boost to the conference because we're the biggest name and winningest program but Nova was the best program in the country when UConn was gone and other programs stepped up. There wasn't a ton of success in the tournament from the other programs but Nova won two national championships, the league always got plenty of bids and they had several #1 seeds. The Covid canceled year really hurt the Big East in terms of results as they had several teams who had the rosters to make it to the final 4.

I had bought QF tickets for the BET that year. We will never know how far that Myles Powell led Seton Hall team could've gone. Absolutely nasty!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was with Jay Wright. Big East without UConn and with a meh Villanova is clearly in a weaker state. Thankfully Shaka has really elevated Marquette. McDermott at Creighton is sold, but he's 59. It's encouraging that Seton Hall is showing signs of life and the English is doing well at PC despite losing Hopkins.

Reaction Score
That was with Jay Wright. Big East without UConn and with a meh Villanova is clearly in a weaker state. Thankfully Shaka has really elevated Marquette. McDermott at Creighton is sold, but he's 59. It's encouraging that Seton Hall is showing signs of life and the English is doing well at PC despite losing Hopkins.

You guys have to stop and keep it real. Give credit where credit is due.

The latest iteration of the Big East arguably (looking at the stats) had its strongest years as whole in the 2016-2020 period (relative to the national landscape). It wasn't just Villanova. It was all teams doing pretty well. Even DePaul/Georgetown were decent back then. Maybe most of the UConn fan base wasn't watching back then. But I was watching the whole time and I can tell you the league was very tough during those years.

Obviously, leagues naturally go through up/down cycles. Right now I would say the league overall is on one of its weaker years.

Reaction Score
You guys have to stop and keep it real. Give credit where credit is due.

The latest iteration of the Big East arguably (looking at the stats) had its strongest years as whole in the 2016-2020 period (relative to the national landscape). It wasn't just Villanova. It was all teams doing pretty well. Even DePaul/Georgetown were decent back then. Maybe most of the UConn fan base wasn't watching back then. But I was watching the whole time and I can tell you the league was very tough during those years.

Obviously, leagues naturally go through up/down cycles. Right now I would say the league overall is on one of its weaker years.
The best years were when the BE had 3 teams in the Final Four. Thats indisputable.

Depaul/Gtown had a grand total of 1 season at .500 in the BE during that 16'-20' stretch, and only 2 overall winning seasons.

Props to Nova during those years, but you can't lump these teams in by any metric.

Uconn is the most successful program in conference history, (even being gone for that stretch), and gets the most eyeballs on TV, which helps everybody.

Give credit where credit is due.
I agree the remaining founding members are down this year, but Bryce Harper and Cooley have a lot to do with that, not to mention Pitino the narcissist running most of his team out of town.

Reaction Score
The best years were when the BE had 3 teams in the Final Four. Thats indisputable.

Depaul/Gtown had a grand total of 1 season at .500 in the BE during that 16'-20' stretch, and only 2 overall winning seasons.

Props to Nova during those years, but you can't lump these teams in by any metric.

Uconn is the most successful program in conference history, (even being gone for that stretch), and gets the most eyeballs on TV, which helps everybody.

Give credit where credit is due.
I agree the remaining founding members are down this year, but Bryce Harper and Cooley have a lot to do with that, not to mention Pitino the narcissist running most of his team out of town.

I think "the latest iteration" went over your head.

I'm strictly talking of the latest reformed league!

Latest iteration means - Post 2013 Big East aka New Big East aka Noobie aka ...

Reaction Score
A lot of the big east current cachet is due to us. That isn't the same we are the only good team, but rather our presence, particularly as national champions, gives the entire conference a higher profile. That said, I prefer watching a big east game to say watching a Big Ten game. In my opinion, it's just better basketball.
I agreed with everything, until the last two sentences. BE games are painful to watch. It's 90's b-ball. It is antiquated. And perhaps the reason blue chippers do not come to it.

Reaction Score
I think "the latest iteration" went over your head.

I'm strictly talking of the latest reformed league!

Latest iteration means - Post 2013 Big East aka New Big East aka Noobie aka ...
don't have dog in this fight...but you specifically mention 16-20....now you're going back to 2013?

Either way, the current BE has had 3 programs win championships since 1980....and only 2 teams since 1984. ACC has had 3 in the past 10 years.

Since 2000, the the BE FF has been all Uconn & Nova except for 4 appearances by the rest of the conf. Butler under Stevens and Georgetown/Marquette making it once...

If Uconn wasn't in the BE, it would be worse than the ACC and MWC. There would be 2 top 20 teams We carried the conf in its Big Least years, then Wright and Nova stepped up after we left...Neptune is no Jay Wright imo

Reaction Score
don't have dog in this fight...but you specifically mention 16-20....now you're going back to 2013?

@NJHusky Yes, because he brought up that the best years where when the Big East had 3 teams in the Final Four teams. Obviously the 80s where way better. But I was clarifying I wasn't talking about the old Big East... I'm only talking about the latest iteration of the league which is 2013-today: and for me in this current Big East the best years were 2016-2020 in the sense that top to bottom the league was strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom