Hurley post game SHU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley post game SHU

Reaction Score
Compare him to Ollie then.
Ollie also won a NC. Ollie is also a former UConn alum and beloved player. Do I think Hurley is better and has program moving in a better direction? Of course. But its still tough to even compare Hurley to Ollie because Hurley has yet to get us out of Round 1 of the NCAA Tourney and Ollie has a title run to his name. Bottom line is I think hes an improvement over Ollie but he needs to do more to truly win over this fan base fully especially in the tournament. Getting knocked out of the 5/12 game didnt do him any favors last year.

Reaction Score
Yes this is true….but I also think he‘s not even as good as some of the other current BE coaches, especially In game. Is it too much to ask to have a top 2 coach in conf? Or is that expecting to much? :D

Probably too much to ask, LOL. Many times you have to take whos available when your in the hiring process and at that time DH was the best option. I mean gun to my head if I had a choice of a Coach to run UConn from the BE conference at this time I honestly would take Ed Cooley from PC. Hes also from CT and grew up here. But he wasn't available at that time.

Reaction Score
Probably too much to ask, LOL. Many times you have to take whos available when your in the hiring process and at that time DH was the best option. I mean gun to my head if I had a choice of a Coach to run UConn from the BE conference at this time I honestly would take Ed Cooley from PC. Hes also from CT and grew up here. But he wasn't available at that time.
Cooley is from Providence and grew up in Providence.

Reaction Score
The 14-0 start definitely raised expectations for the year. I’m glad they won yesterday but you can’t say that win makes you feel confident going into the tournament. I think Hurley is a good coach and I like his system he just doesn’t have the right players for it now.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If you expected to go 26-2 based on the undefeated start I’m sorry that’s on you.

They have a few more conference losses than I’d ideally like, but season-over-season yes I think they’ve improved each year from both a talent and performance perspective—both of which the coach is responsible for.
You didn't answer the question...which means you answered it.

Reaction Score
Huh? Where did you pull that non-factoid from? Cooley was born in Providence, grew up on the city’s south side, and attended Central High School. His only connection to Connecticut is his time coaching at Fairfield.

Reaction Score
Not going in the right direction? The team has literally gotten better every year under him lol

3034c30f4e9a3eb6f9b1aff18aa9751d-jpg.723343

Reaction Score
Crazy take huh? They were stuck at 40 points for 9 minutes or so.
Also, and I haven’t seen this get much if any attention anywhere, Ndefo, who is not known for his offense (averages 8ppg I think) was killing us in the first half to the tune of 13 points. He finished with 13 points. Credit to coach and players for changing something up on D there to great effect.

Reaction Score
The 14-0 start definitely raised expectations for the year. I’m glad they won yesterday but you can’t say that win makes you feel confident going into the tournament. I think Hurley is a good coach and I like his system he just doesn’t have the right players for it now.
Good coaches adapt their system to their players until they have the players that fit their system.

That isn’t DH. He’d prefer to continue trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Reaction Score
Also, and I haven’t seen this get much if any attention anywhere, Ndefo, who is not known for his offense (averages 8ppg I think) was killing us in the first half to the tune of 13 points. He finished with 13 points. Credit to coach and players for changing something up on D there to great effect.
When I was at the game I was wondering and couldn't believe he had 13 points including one 3 pointer which he really isn't good at shooting. Among his 13 points was at least 3 drives to the basket against Clingan. All that really needs to be done with Ndefo is to overplay, not too much, his right drive. He can't drive left that much if at all.

Reaction Score
When will he have the right players for it, do they just become the wrong players when we lose. So the roster changes and coaches remain the same and the players are to blame. Getting to the sweet 16 isn’t climbing MT Everest.

Reaction Score
When I was at the game I was wondering and couldn't believe he had 13 points including one 3 pointer which he really isn't good at shooting. Among his 13 points was at least 3 drives to the basket against Clingan. All that really needs to be done with Ndefo is to overplay, not too much, his right drive. He can't drive left that much if at all.

Ndefo had a good game. Players do not score their average every game. They have good games and poor games and average games. Ndefo did not affect the game in any meaningful way.

Seton Hall averages 68 points and 35 rebounds a game. They scored 55 points and had 25 rebounds. They average 12 assists and had 8. We average 79 points and 40 rebounds. We scored 64 points and had 39 rebounds with 12 assists rather than our usual 17. We could have played better especially on offense, we scored 15 less points than our season average, they scored 13 less than theirs. We still won by 9. the spread was 10.

There was absolutely nothing remarkable about this game except it went pretty much as expected.

Reaction Score
You didn't answer the question...which means you answered it.
In his defense, it's hard to improve on 14-0 while blowing everyone out by double digits. No we are not as good. Not even close. With that said, improving upon the darn near perfection of the out of conference schedule was pretty much impossible. Trick question and one where you can't be wrong. You sir are not the "bonehead" your handle suggests.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
In his defense, it's hard to improve on 14-0 while blowing everyone out by double digits. No we are not as good. Not even close. With that said, improving upon the darn near perfection of the out of conference schedule was pretty much impossible. Trick question and one where you can't be wrong. You sir are not the "bonehead" your handle suggests.
Shhh

Reaction Score
Ndefo had a good game. Players do not score their average every game. They have good games and poor games and average games. Ndefo did not affect the game in any meaningful way.

Seton Hall averages 68 points and 35 rebounds a game. They scored 55 points and had 25 rebounds. They average 12 assists and had 8. We average 79 points and 40 rebounds. We scored 64 points and had 39 rebounds with 12 assists rather than our usual 17. We could have played better especially on offense, we scored 15 less points than our season average, they scored 13 less than theirs. We still won by 9. the spread was 10.

There was absolutely nothing remarkable about this game except it went pretty much as expected.
I am aware the players don't score their average every game and the result of the game wasn't unexpected. But he absolutely affected the game, well at least in the first half, his production kept Seton Hall going tit for tat with UConn in the first 10 minutes when the other SH players were not doing much and started slow.

Reaction Score
When will he have the right players for it, do they just become the wrong players when we lose. So the roster changes and coaches remain the same and the players are to blame. Getting to the sweet 16 isn’t climbing MT Everest.
To play his system he needs more shooters and Jackson is killing the offense in the half court. Him not playing Clingan more makes no sense to me you can clearly see the team functions better with him out there. The argument of clogging up the middle with him and sanogo doesn’t make sense cuz they just lag off Jackson now. I’d rather have sanogo shooting 3s than Jackson. I’m frustrated that he hasn’t made changes but I don’t think Hurley should be gone by any means

Reaction Score
Why does the horde year in and year out NOT ask the questions the Boneyard deserves the answers to? :)

Is Sam Johnson still hurt? If not, why isn't he getting any minutes? This was a guy that you said had a plaque waiting for him as he goes to the NBA.
Can you admit that the offense seems to flow better with DC in there?
Have you worked on an inbounds play in practice when the other team is pressing?

Finally,
Can you offer more NIL money to Andre to not shoot the running floater?

Seriously, these softball questions where you can guess the coach's answer before he speaks is so predictable.

Reaction Score
Why does the horde year in and year out NOT ask the questions the Boneyard deserves the answers to? :)

Is Sam Johnson still hurt? If not, why isn't he getting any minutes? This was a guy that you said had a plaque waiting for him as he goes to the NBA.
Can you admit that the offense seems to flow better with DC in there?
Have you worked on an inbounds play in practice when the other team is pressing?

Finally,
Can you offer more NIL money to Andre to not shoot the running floater?

Seriously, these softball questions where you can guess the coach's answer before he speaks is so predictable.
Most of these are just questions that would never get asked and rightfully so. The first 2 in particular are just openly asking him to trash his own players in a press conference. Unless you're Jim Boheim that's just not gonna happen from a D1 coach

Reaction Score
Most of these are just questions that would never get asked and rightfully so. The first 2 in particular are just openly asking him to trash his own players in a press conference. Unless you're Jim Boheim that's just not gonna happen from a D1 coach

Asking those questions is a good way to get the coach to never do an interview again.

Reaction Score
The media truly sucks.

Adama was terrible down the stretch (and sick) yet no one asked it he considered Clingon. And why?
No one even asked if he was concerned the team couldn't score at the end of the first half and the second half and how he would address it.
No one asked about Joey DNP.
No one asked about another Johnson DNP.

They are a pathetic group of sniveling lap dogs.
Cause this game was a rock fight. Not a game built for Joey to play in. And he hasn’t been good since Georgetown. Nice player but he’s just not built for the Big East.

Reaction Score
The goal I would hope for most is to make a legit run in the NCAAs. The concern is how the heck is that going to happen given that there will be dog fights and in game adjustments and execution become a premium. We will exit early if we can’t hold leads at crunch time or figure out how to execute in the last 2 minutes to overcome a deficit. We simply aren’t that sharp or well managed.

Reaction Score
The goal I would hope for most is to make a legit run in the NCAAs. The concern is how the heck is that going to happen given that there will be dog fights and in game adjustments and execution become a premium. We will exit early if we can’t hold leads at crunch time or figure out how to execute in the last 2 minutes to overcome a deficit. We simply aren’t that sharp or well managed.
The difference with this team and the 2011 2014 teams is we don’t have a go to superstar. Hawkins can light it up when he’s on but can’t take over a game at the end. Karaban has been good late in games but can’t really create his own shot

Reaction Score
The difference with this team and the 2011 2014 teams is we don’t have a go to superstar. Hawkins can light it up when he’s on but can’t take over a game at the end. Karaban has been good late in games but can’t really create his own shot
It has to be Hawkins we have seen the light but that light needs to be on consistently he needs to take over if we wanna make a run in March.

Hawkins has more upside then Kemba and Shabazz but he is a sophomore, Kemba was a jr and Shabazz was a sr that’s quite a difference in experience and they all played in the FF as freshman.

Reaction Score
It has to be Hawkins we have seen the light but that light needs to be on consistently he needs to take over if we wanna make a run in March.

Hawkins has more upside then Kemba and Shabazz but he is a sophomore, Kemba was a jr and Shabazz was a sr that’s quite a difference in experience and they all played in the FF as freshman.
More upside than Kemba??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom