Hurley Post game Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Post game Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't unhear "scared to death" being uttered multiple times. Certainly played like it the first 25 minutes.

As a coach, why would you make the opponent seem bigger than they are? We are a team that lacks a true Alpha. Seems like a strange approach.
You would think we were the 12 seed if you listened to Hurley's comments before and after this game, it's depressing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't wanna watch the excuses...anyone want to sum it up beyond him saying they didn't play good enough defense?
Three main themes:
  • Allen was undefendable. He hoisted rainbows while being challenged and they dropped.
  • Key mistakes in 2nd half when they had momentum, the fouls on Allen as time was expiring mentioned as especially bad.
  • Created a huge hole for themselves in 1st half getting down by 10 and 14.

Reaction Score
If you are not going to be scared of the 76th ranked offense in KenPom you just are not doing your job
Scared is a loser mentality. Being mindful/aware/prepared is different than being scared.

Reaction Score
I feel for Cole. He was the only one who didn’t seem scared.
Cole was great in 2nd half, but he let his defender deny him the ball in first and the other team dictated pace too much of the game. We knew Cole as only true G was UConn’s weakness, NMST knew this too and took him off the table for 20 minutes.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
hurley's answers are objectively awful here. "Scary matchup" the film is relatively straight forward. Just like our film is straight forward.

Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly

The reason for this is important tho - the reason we play scared is that it is VERY SCARY TO PLAY OFFENSE WITH NO PLAYMAKERS. A bunch of guys who are not built to make plays are constantly under pressure to exceed their capabilities, leading to predictable bad plays and therefore a diminishing return on confidence. No guards means no swagger.

Look at our most swaggeriffic teams - they all had 2+ guards who could absolutely razzle dazzle with the ball and make things happen.

Kemba/AJ, Bazz/Boat, Taliek/Ben, El-Amin/Ricky Moore

Its why guards/playmakers are such an outsized influence in march madness. If every pass and entry and everything is hard on offense, it saps free flowing confidence and shooting and easy buckets. Everyone knows they can't make mistakes, and it just makes teams play tight and weak.

Reaction Score
Three main themes:
  • Allen was undefendable. He hoisted rainbows while being challenged and they dropped.
  • Key mistakes in 2nd half when they had momentum, the fouls on Allen as time was expiring mentioned as especially bad.
  • Created a huge hole for themselves in 1st half getting down by 10 and 14.
Allen was nuts, I'll give him that. How do u coach out flat play?

Reaction Score
Cole was great in 2nd half, but he let his defender deny him the ball in first and the other team dictated pace too much of the game. We knew Cole as only true G was UConn’s weakness, NMST knew this too and took him off the table for 20 minutes.
The team was awful in the first half. I think we had 2 offensive rebounds.

Cole said they sat on our stuff in the first half. Apparently there was no plan B.

Reaction Score
The team was awful in the first half. I think we had 2 offensive rebounds.

Cole said they sat on our stuff in the first half. Apparently there was no plan B.
Well it was obvious they were trying to have Jackson handle it at first when Cole was denied, maybe that was plan B, but then when Jackson was Out with two fouls no plan C and offense was cooked.

Also didn’t understand why we accepted and seemed content with a slow pace all game. Didn’t have the horses all year to push the way UConn should, but certainly can & should selectively attack quicker. 2-3 more guards please.

Reaction Score
The reason for this is important tho - the reason we play scared is that it is VERY SCARY TO PLAY OFFENSE WITH NO PLAYMAKERS. A bunch of guys who are not built to make plays are constantly under pressure to exceed their capabilities, leading to predictable bad plays and therefore a diminishing return on confidence. No guards means no swagger.

Look at our most swaggeriffic teams - they all had 2+ guards who could absolutely razzle dazzle with the ball and make things happen.

Kemba/AJ, Bazz/Boat, Taliek/Ben, El-Amin/Ricky Moore

Its why guards/playmakers are such an outsized influence in march madness. If every pass and entry and everything is hard on offense, it saps free flowing confidence and shooting and easy buckets. Everyone knows they can't make mistakes, and it just makes teams play tight and weak.
After Cole, team doesn’t have a single player on the roster who can create for himself. It’s a flaw. They are totally dependent on execution of the play.

Reaction Score
I can't unhear "scared to death" being uttered multiple times. Certainly played like it the first 25 minutes.

As a coach, why would you make the opponent seem bigger than they are? We are a team that lacks a true Alpha. Seems like a strange approach.
Had one last year and it looked like addition by subtraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco