Hurley Outcoached | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Outcoached

Reaction Score
I thought (and hoped) my first post on this board would be to something positive and I'll give it the ol' college try as they say...

Adama was making it look like child's play early on in the game with his post presence, but what I feel is so underrated about his game is his vision to find the open player. I think he is the best passer of our bigs (it's not really even close because Carlton has no hands and Whaley still looks unsure of himself when he gets the ball outside of 10' from the basket). With him missing from the lineup, you lose the inside out plays that open up Polley, Cole, Adams around the 3 point line. I don't have the stats right now but we shoot the 3 really well as a team when we are WIDE OPEN and can't find the backboard when a defender is within 5 feet of our shooter.

When a team plays as aggressive as SJ did on defense then ball movement is mission critical for spacing and yesterday they just seemed to move the ball without purpose around the perimeter with high ball screens as the only answer to free up anyone. Frustrating to watch but I also think the offense looks stagnant because we have only one person right now that looks like he can dribble the ball 10 ft. without dribbling it off of his knee and that is Cole. When you can't dribble penetrate to open up spacing for your teammates then we're in trouble and right now I'm not sure who that is outside of Bouk.
Welcome to the 'yard! Regarding your desire for positivity:
cmt GIF by Sun Records

Reaction Score
So, there's questioning what happened......and there's a bunch of overweight, bald, middle aged guys who think they know more than a Top 25 D1 coach that comes from a HOF coaching lineage.

Like the threads giving out "tips" on how to shoot FT's better. .
As a fat, balding, past middle age old fart who never could play worth a damm, but as someone who has interviewed a number of pro coaches in many sports, I am here to tell you they are none of them perfect. They make all kinds of game time mistakes that often get overlooked because, "hey, he's the coach, he must have had a reason." Nah, not always, and sometimes the reasoning was faulty. I don't have any problems with someone pointing out a specific decision and questioning it. The question does not imply the coach is an idiot. The question is just that - a question about a decision. And Hurley was directly asked that question and answered it in a way that troubles me - he had to match up to the opponent, instead of making the opponent match up to him. The season will demonstrate the wisdom of that approach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul
Top Bottom