Hurley on our play last night | The Boneyard

Hurley on our play last night

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will give Hurley a lot of credit for that quote and the interview last night. He knows we have problems.

And I don't think they are that hard to fix.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will give Hurley a lot of credit for that quote and the interview last night. He knows we have problems.

And I don't think they are that hard to fix.
If you watch his postgame presser, you’ll also note that the first question was about our offensive problems and he started by scoffing at the notion that we have a problem scoring when we opened with a 102-point win two nights prior.

But yes, he did note that there is a lot to work on, which is obvious.

Mostly I think it’s a matter of using the parts in the right way. We have the pieces.

IMO the best solution is to start with defense again. Whoever is playing the best defense stays on the floor, and those players will work out an offense.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We are two games in and have some things to fix. After winning both games and being in no danger of losing. #4 UVA lost, LOST, to USF who lost to UMass Lowell. Can we give this team some consistent practice time and time to get a bunch of new pieces in sync before too much analysis?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you watch his postgame presser, you’ll also note that the first question was about our offensive problems and he started by scoffing at the notion that we have a problem scoring when we opened with a 102-point win two nights prior.

Mostly I think it’s a matter of using the parts in the right way. We have the pieces.

IMO the best solution is to start with defense again. Whoever is playing the best defense stays on the floor, and those players will work out an offense.

Agree. Our best offense comes from steals, transition and defensive rebounding. Our team is built to play that way. I think he knows Andre can help with that so last night was a lesson for him.

I would note that Hurley should examine what he said about Whaley not scoring in the 1st half except off of a steal. Hurley says he wants the ball to move without the dribble. If so, he needs to stop calling for constant ball screens. Whaley can’t catch entry passes if he’s out on the 3 point line. Our guys continue to stand around and watch ball handlers make Ineffective passes around the perimeter. Where are the cutters? I know Rip was unique but Polley is a statue out there. Once he got comfortable Martin started to flash to the hoop. Clearly need Jackson to play that way too.

Reaction Score
Agree. Our best offense comes from steals, transition and defensive rebounding. Our team is built to play that way. I think he knows Andre can help with that so last night was a lesson for him.

I would note that Hurley should examine what he said about Whaley not scoring in the 1st half except off of a steal. Hurley says he wants the ball to move without the dribble. If so, he needs to stop calling for constant ball screens. Whaley can’t catch entry passes if he’s out on the 3 point line. Our guys continue to stand around and watch ball handlers make Ineffective passes around the perimeter. Where are the cutters? I know Rip was unique but Polley is a statue out there. Once he got comfortable Martin started to flash to the hoop. Clearly need Jackson to play that way too.
I think eventually we'll get to the point where when Whaley (or Sanogo) come out to set the screen we'll have Bouk and Jackson both on the floor together cutting to the basket to take that pass. Bouk has shown it in flashes but seems to get complacent sometimes and just hangs around the 3 point line

Reaction Score
This team has tons of talent but there’s about zero chemistry because of the lack of practice time. We need our point guards to run the offense and create a steady flow. All the players in general need to make that extra pass to the open man. We have some good finishers on the inside. They need to utilize that. Hurley is a great coach. He will get this team playing the way they need to.

Reaction Score
The glass has to be half-empty if you are coaching this team. Little team D in game 1, then after a talent dominant 5 minutes a discombobulated effort on both sides of the ball the rest of the way

If you are a fan and the glass is half empty I don't know what on earth you watched those first two games.
Talent CHECK. Good frosh CHECK, Good transfers CHECK, Improved returning players CHECK, superstar potential CHECK, frosh with star potential CHECK.

The coach wouldn't be disappointed if he had a crap or even mediocre team with no potential, the coach is disappointed b/c he has a top-15 level team that can be VASTLY better than how they've played to this point. This is good news.

Reaction Score
Easy fix. Play with passion, heart and soul and all will be well. Oh yes 4 cell phones is required for a successful season.

Reaction Score
Nothing here indicates that he agrees about what the problem is or how to fix it. This might be the weakest football spike ever . ..

I’ll pretend I’m ReportCard now:

Nelson: 2.5/10. Started a bunch of threads attempting to show how superior his basketball IQ is compared to top-caliber NCAA &NBA coaches. Generally missed the mark. Then decided to start a separate thread using a generic coach-speak motivational Hurley quote about improving the teams performance as justification for spiking the football about his previous threads. Ball slipped out of his hands.

Reaction Score

Great post. This is exactly what Hurley's going to do because defense is what Hurley values most. And on the Boneyard we'll have to deal with several weeks of incessant whining about the offense, but at the end of the day the whining will be drowned out by the fact that we've become a very good team.

Reaction Score

Utopian thought, just might work though. I think we have the pieces.

The original post in this thread is Chiefesque, but at least it has spawned a number of really good replies.

The bottom line is that Hurley is doing one hell of a job If you look at where the program is now compared to where it was a couple of years ago. There will certainly be growing pains especially in a funky year with a relatively inexperienced and/or new to each other team. But with Hurley running the show and the pieces that we have in place I wouldn't count out being a really top caliber team in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least this season Hurley has a lot to work with with less stress.

I doubt anyone here actually thought we were championship caliber beginning day one. Most were saying we won't see our team till January, due to new parts, CV leaving, COVID effect, players recovering from injuries, new league and so many players to evaluate. Oh and we need a leader to emerge.

We'll be a work in progress all of December which probably will include some losses. Come January I see us competing with any team in the Nation, racking up wins in the BE. Just saying I see us as a 2021 team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
At least this season Hurley has a lot to work with with less stress.

I doubt anyone here actually thought we were championship caliber beginning day one. Most were saying we won't see our team till January, due to new parts, CV leaving, COVID effect, players recovering from injuries, new league and so many players to evaluate. Oh and we need a leader to emerge.

We'll be a work in progress all of December which probably will include some losses. Come January I see us competing with any team in the Nation, racking up wins in the BE. Just saying I see us as a 2021 team.

I think there will be a lot of tight games this season. Fixing a few of the issues will make a big difference.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sometimes a poster (me in this case) is so right that he deserves his own thread.

Coach Jumper has his own thread too but at least he has enough class to not start it.

Reaction Score
I’ve got to be honest. My enjoyment in reading the boneyard is way down these last few days 100% attributable to this nelsonmuntz poster. Your online persona is toxic and the moderators seriously need to ban you. Back to enjoying huskies basketball.

Reaction Score
I think eventually we'll get to the point where when Whaley (or Sanogo) come out to set the screen we'll have Bouk and Jackson both on the floor together cutting to the basket to take that pass. Bouk has shown it in flashes but seems to get complacent sometimes and just hangs around the 3 point line
Yes. With a talent like Bouknight they should be doing that for sure, or even screening for him to get clean looks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom