Hurley on 2020 recruiting plan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on 2020 recruiting plan

Reaction Score
If AG has a full healthy season, he might have to assess his options. But he could be back as well. At this point is just wild speculation.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Any updates on AG bring fully healthy again from the eye injury?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We all know that Hurley knows what he's doing, that's not the issue. Hurley knows we need significant talent upgrades on this roster. It's just unfortunate that he's not going to get the opportunity to bring in all the recruits he wants in 2020
I’m hoping BA can significantly improve. If he doesn’t that’s one scholarship lost that has nothing to do with KO. If he does than some of the concerns are reduced.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping BA can significantly improve. If he doesn’t that’s one scholarship lost that has nothing to do with KO. If he does than some of the concerns are reduced.
BA is not an issue. I think he will improve but even if he doesn't he was playing a bit as a freshman. The guys I'm talking about couldn't get off the bench last year, whether it's talent or health, and for at least 1 not much reason to expect it to change

ctchamps

Reaction Score
BA is not an issue. I think he will improve but even if he doesn't he was playing a bit as a freshman. The guys I'm talking about couldn't get off the bench last year, whether it's talent or health, and for at least 1 not much reason to expect it to change
I see potential for BA. But there is no stretch of my imagination I can make a claim from last season that Hurley brought in a player with a significant upgrade in talent, the theme of several threads. If BA improves significantly than it indicates Hurley has a good eye for talent capable of playing at a high major level. If he doesn’t than it is reasonable to question BA’s recruitment.

Reaction Score
Really, you don’t think that Hurley knows what he’s doing? No one on this board is more qualified than him. Trust in him, we are in good hands, based on his track record, including 3 top 100’s already for ‘19. There are more than 100 D1 programs that want top 100 recruits, and we have 3 and counting. Better days are ahead!
I think Hurley is the perfect coach for us but not being able to clear a scholarship has already cost us getting a commitment from a much better player. It's a problem.

Reaction Score
I see potential for BA. But there is no stretch of my imagination I can make a claim from last season that Hurley brought in a player with a significant upgrade in talent, the theme of several threads. If BA improves significantly than it indicates Hurley has a good eye for talent capable of playing at a high major level. If he doesn’t than it is reasonable to question BA’s recruitment.
Your ability to create these ideas from nothing continues to amaze me. Nobody has ever talked about Brendan Adams being the huge talent upgrade Hurley is bringing to the program. Your agenda is quite clear so props on that

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Your ability to create these ideas from nothing continues to amaze me. Nobody has ever talked about Brendan Adams being the huge talent upgrade Hurley is bringing to the program. Your agenda is quite clear so props on that
Several posters including yourself have made an issue about not having enough scholarships available over the next two seasons to upgrade talent. Some of those posters although apparently not you have indicted KO's players but omit BA. In a reasonable discussion based on what BA has done this season he should be considered. I mistakenly thought you agreed with the position other posters have taken.

No way I'm writing BA off. But I wouldn't make an issue over the two players several posters want to see leave either.

I like BA’s work ethic. Lots of hours at the gym, he’s bound to improve
Good to hear. See my response above.

Reaction Score
Several posters including yourself have made an issue about not having enough scholarships available over the next two seasons to upgrade talent. Some of those posters although apparently not you have indicted KO's players but omit BA. In a reasonable discussion based on what BA has done this season he should be considered. I mistakenly thought you agreed with the position other posters have taken.

No way I'm writing BA off. But I wouldn't make an issue over the two players several posters want to see leave either.

Good to hear. See my response above.
I do get what you're saying, but the difference is that Adams was recruited by Hurley. That makes a difference in that he fits his system, the other 2 do not

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I do get what you're saying, but the difference is that Adams was recruited by Hurley. That makes a difference in that he fits his system, the other 2 do not
Point well taken.

OTH Sid, Josh, Alterique and CV were not recruited by Hurley and there are crickets about pushing them out by the majority of posters advocating room be made for future players. Tyler falls somewhere in the middle.

Given that some posters have made comments in the past that BA is at best another Donnell Beverly recruiting someone who fits a system does not guarantee a coach has recruited someone with an upgraded talent to fit the system.

OTH given that no one can predict the trajectory of players I'm not sure how anyone can be absolutely certain who to keep and who to send packing or how they will ultimately turn out. And for the record my position is not against BA. I believe he will turn out to be a better player than Donnell.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is the perfect coach for us but not being able to clear a scholarship has already cost us getting a commitment from a much better player. It's a problem.

Who? Did I miss something

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Given that some posters have made comments in the past that BA is at best another Donnell Beverly recruiting someone who fits a system does not guarantee a coach has recruited someone with an upgraded talent to fit the system.
This. Hurley made a commitment to Adams at URI, then carried that commitment through bringing him to UConn. That doesn’t de facto prove he’s the level player you all are pining for. It was originally for URI, after all. What it proves is that Hurley has honor.

Reaction Score
The problem is he didn't have a wing lined up to replace him, even when he had to know he wasn't going to be here long

Well, Larrier got hurt, and Vance came in that year, so we weren't completely without a wing. Neither had close to the skill set of Hamilton, though.

Reaction Score
Is there any evidence of this, or is it conjecture? @BoneyardInsiders

Super John read the same tweets we all did that said Joel had a great visit. "Costing us a player" is an exaggeration. It seems like Joel wasn't expecting to get this type of attention.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is glad the Bobby Hurley drama is over | Zagsblog
UConn is also involved for 2020 Westtown power forward Noah Collier, 2020 Oak Hill Academy wing Cam Thomas, 2020 Putnam Science shooting guard Demarr Langford and 2020 Putnam point guard Hassan Diara. Hurley and assistant Kimani Young were at Putnam on Friday.

“It’s a big class for us,” Hurley said, speaking generally. “We have to generally continue to get UConn-level talent and then positionally I think center is a real big spot for us with Josh Carlton graduating soon. We need a big-time center and big I think big wings are important.”

Can we get an updated scholarship grid and have it pinned at the top of the page?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I havent seen Akok but Im pretty sure AG will not be going pro after next year unless he has a ridiculous year. Akok from what little I know of him is a two year guy unless he listens to the wrong people and jumps early.
Probably a 3 year kid. Still way too raw.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This. Hurley made a commitment to Adams at URI, then carried that commitment through bringing him to UConn. That doesn’t de facto prove he’s the level player you all are pining for. It was originally for URI, after all. What it proves is that Hurley has honor.

I think Hurley brought him along for a specific reason. To be part of the change in culture. I know we just kinda throw that out there and assume it'll happen, but it takes work. It takes buy-in. It takes grind. And it takes guys to set an example. Even if he's only a frosh, he's setting an example for older guys, who while more talented, may not work as hard. And by the time he's a Jr/Sr, he's going to be a team leader in that regard for the young kids coming in.

Some might think that's a waste of a scholarship, but it seems like it's pretty important to Hurley. And has been job number 1 since the day he got here. Job 1a being upgrade talent.

It's also good to not have a donut recruiting class.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley brought him along for a specific reason. To be part of the change in culture. I know we just kinda throw that out there and assume it'll happen, but it takes work. It takes buy-in. It takes grind. And it takes guys to set an example. Even if he's only a frosh, he's setting an example for older guys, who while more talented, may not work as hard. And by the time he's a Jr/Sr, he's going to be a team leader in that regard for the young kids coming in.

Some might think that's a waste of a scholarship, but it seems like it's pretty important to Hurley. And has been job number 1 since the day he got here. Job 1a being upgrade talent.

It's also good to not have a donut recruiting class.

Good post dude.

Brendan may also turn into a high percentage shooter and a solid guard for us as well.

Reaction Score
#1) I would consider “clearing out” a guy if it was necessary to do so to get a high impact player who’s eligible immediately. I would not to get a guy who is not eligible until 20-21 and may bolt for a check before that.

#2) B. Adams is a program guy. A guy like Adams is important, especially as he gets older to push the younger, likely more talented guys. It’s tough to come in after a guy is fired and come up with a decent class. Not bad to get a solid piece and grad transfers as essentially place holders.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom