Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change | The Boneyard

Hurley mentions Possible Starting Lineup Change

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else caught it, but during the Maine post game presser, someone asked Hurley if he would consider going with a 3 guard starting lineup. He took a minute but then said that he's considered it with Adams or Bouk. I think this team would be better with one of those guys starting because then that allows both of them to get 30 minutes per night. The way he has his rotations now, it's tough for both of those guys to consistently get 25 minutes each.

I have high hopes with what Hurley is doing with this team, and come NCAA tournament time, we have to have our best all around players on the floor, and we eventually need to get the team accustomed to a different starting lineup with one of those two. I would rather see Polley move to the bench and take over the 18-22 minute role. Nothing against Polley, he has been great in spurts this year, but he doesn't have the same all around game that BA and JB have, and Polley may even be a better player playing in spurts.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else caught it, but during the Maine post game presser, someone asked Hurley if he would consider going with a 3 guard starting lineup. He took a minute but then said that he's considered it with Adams or Bouk. I think this team would be better with one of those guys starting because then that allows both of them to get 30 minutes per night. The way he has his rotations now, it's tough for both of those guys to consistently get 25 minutes each.

I have high hopes with what Hurley is doing with this team, and come NCAA tournament time, we have to have our best all around players on the floor, and we eventually need to get the team accustomed to a different starting lineup with one of those two. I would rather see Polley move to the bench and take over the 18-22 minute role. Nothing against Polley, he has been great in spurts this year, but he doesn't have the same all around game that BA and JB have, and Polley may even be a better player playing in spurts.
Agree with all of this.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Polley wasn't the main problem lately - it's been the 5 particularly JC
UConn needs a productive 5 to have any success in the AAC
Perhaps removing Polley and inserting JB may work against some teams but the team needs some height and productive height

Reaction Score
Regardless, we need our best players right now playing the heaviest minutes. the 3 guard lineup should work against many teams, but maybe against bigger lineups, we can interchange Vital for Polley.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Meh. Keep Polley in lineup but don't be afraid to go to bench.

Polley has better length I passing lanes and closing out than Bouk or Adams.

But, should offense go 3&4 possessions with little results, bring on the subs.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Polley is our backup PF and gives us height and shooting from the 3. He might be best suited for a microwave role off the bench.

Reaction Score
Perhaps removing Polley and inserting JB may work against some teams but the team needs some height and productive height
Agreed. Fact that Carleton can disappear for whole half’s, if not whole games is a problem. But if Hurley was going to adjust the starters, I think Polley is the one that gets bumbled for another guard.

Reaction Score
Like someone said above, if he's thinking about doing it, which he should be, then now is the time. Aside from Indiana, this is the softest part of our schedule.

Reaction Score
Polley is our backup PF and gives us height and shooting from the 3. He might be best suited for a microwave role off the bench.
Not saying that changing Polley's role is the wrong move but traditionally, microwave type bench scorers can generate their own shots. Polley cannot, and requires guards who can set him up.

Reaction Score
I think Polley will end up in the 2011 Tyler Olander role. Start, play a handful of minutes, then spend most of the game on the bench.

Bouknight and Akok will get the lion's share of minutes at the 3/4, with Wilson and Adams also playing the 3.

Reaction Score
I think Polley will end up in the 2011 Tyler Olander role. Start, play a handful of minutes, then spend most of the game on the bench.

Bouknight and Akok will get the lion's share of minutes at the 3/4, with Wilson and Adams also playing the 3.
No way, what makes us good is that we're a legit 9-10 deep. He's far too valuable to be in the 2011 Olander role.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Does no-one in the 'yard have a memory?
The LAST GAME, Carlton was our leading scorer. 7 of 8 from, the field, 16 points, 5 boards, 3 dimes and 2 steals. And you call that kind of production "the main problem lately"?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
People are happy with the way the team is playing, yet some want to tinker with the chemistry.

Dan is doing a great job, it's in his hands now. I'm not concerned about minutes for anybody, I just want the TEAM to continue to improve

Reaction Score
If Adams or Bouk can be consistent from three (which they have), Polley’s only advantage to starting goes away. Good problem to have.
Not easy to shoot over polley. Legit 6’9 with large wing span

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Wouldn't change a thing. Listen to Bouk and Adams postgame interviews, both are very comfortable with their roles. We have depth, enjoy it for the first time in a while

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Polley is a solid shooter, but starting either Bouknight or Adams gives them better overall defense and another ball handler

Reaction Score
You don't fix something that's not broke. When you have a winning lineup you stick with it. Trust the coaches decisions.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
If I were Hurley I would start Bouknight over Polley because Polley cant rebound. He only grabbed 2 boards today in 26 minutes. Bouknight is an outstanding rebounder, Particularly on the offensive end. Hurley doesn’t sub before the first time out at all so who starts does matter, our starters do generally get more playing time and set the tone. Polley played 26 minutes today compared to Bouk’s 19. That should be the other way around.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Fact that Carleton can disappear for whole half’s, if not whole games is a problem. But if Hurley was going to adjust the starters, I think Polley is the one that gets bumbled for another guard.
He has vanished from game one pretty much. I’d take Whaley or AA at the 5 cuz JC is a liability on both ends right now.

Reaction Score
Everyone thinks it's Polley, but face it, Vitale should have been coming off the bench his entire career.

Reaction Score
You don't fix something that's not broke. When you have a winning lineup you stick with it. Trust the coaches decisions.
The starting lineup absolutely has something to do with the awful starts to games.
Everyone thinks it's Polley, but face it, Vitale should have been coming off the bench his entire career.
No vital deserves to start. Great catch and shooter, great D, great motor, great Rebounding. He just has to understand he’s not the play maker and that he shouldn’t dribble through 3-4 guys or he shouldn’t dribble into step back shots. Vital is at his best when he takes catch and shoot 3s, is on lock down D, getting steals, and rebounding on both ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom