Hurley Media Availability Tweets | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley Media Availability Tweets

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
please don’t insult my intelligence. I don’t insult yours and respect your opinion. I’ve played more than enough basketball and follow along well enough to have a pretty decent opinion. Even if it is different at times.

Cole is by far the better player. But roster management matters. Chemistry matters. I don’t know if it would’ve made a difference, but the best basketball I saw us play in the Hurley era was when Jalen ran the show towards the end of his freshman year. He wasn’t out there scoring 15 points a game to do it but he was just a good solid facilitator. Cole wasn’t that, he was a much better scorer but didn’t make guys better. Those type of guys are great to come off the bench IMO.

If Hurley was able to get the most out of Gaffney that would’ve been ideal because he had the talent, and he failed to do that.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence, but I will say that this is a terrible take.

Reaction Score
Guys from Howard transfer to schools all the time (who are leading scorers in the country) and come off the bench. It wouldn’t be new. Byrd did it for Tennessee a few years ago. It wouldn’t be benching if that’s where he started and Hurley went all in on a guy coming off a great year.

I mean, if you’re going to characterize Cole as a “guy from Howard” instead of arguably the best player on the team, then there’s no point in continuing the conversation.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sorry guys if I communicated this wrong. I’m not talking about this year. I’m just talking about how Hurley handled Gaffney after his freshman year.

He had a great freshman year and then didn’t get his starting job back his sophomore year. That’s what I’m talking about. He hasn’t been the same since. To go with my point of Hurley not rewarding young guys for playing well.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys if I communicated this wrong. I’m not talking about this year. I’m just talking about how Hurley handled Gaffney after his freshman year.

He had a great freshman year and then didn’t get his starting job back his sophomore year. That’s what I’m talking about. He hasn’t been the same since. To go with my point of Hurley not rewarding young guys for playing well.
I don't think anyone is misunderstanding your point. In the practices preceding Cole's first season at UConn, Hurley saw that Cole was a better option than Gaff. You are saying he should have stuck with Gaff as the starter and brought in Cole off the bench. Other posters, with whom I agree, are saying that is a ludicrous position.

Reaction Score

Gaffney averaged 3.9 ppg on 34% fg and 26% three pointers his freshman year. There's nothing great about that, it's actually really bad.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Gaffney averaged 3.9 ppg on 34% fg and 26% three pointers his freshman year. There's nothing great about that, it's actually really bad.
What’s great was that we were 9-3 with him in as a starter. At least 2 of those losses coming in OT. The offense looked great the whole time.

We finished 19-12 and 10-8 in conference. We were 1-8 in conference before he got put in the lineup…

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What’s great was that we were 9-3 with him in as a starter. At least 2 of those losses coming in OT. The offense looked great the whole time.

We finished 19-12 and 10-8 in conference. We were 1-8 in conference before he got put in the lineup…
Did any other roster changes occur?

Reaction Score

The team was 9-3 because Vital was bombing away from three and averaging over 20 ppg and Bouknight came into his own and was averaging a hair under 20 ppg.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We'll be able to judge that based on the players he brings in.
Serious question, and a lot of posters get emotional over this question and turn to personal attacks, We’re going into year 5 with Hurley, how have we improved since year one and what have we accomplished?

I think coaches should get 4 years or so, so they can implement their system and get their players. But now we’re talking about a “rebuild”. The rebuild should’ve started when he got here.

Reaction Score
Serious question, and a lot of posters get emotional over this question and turn to personal attacks, We’re going into year 5 with Hurley, how have we improved since year one and what have we accomplished?

I think coaches should get 4 years or so, so they can implement their system and get their players. But now we’re talking about a “rebuild”. The rebuild should’ve started when he got here.
The continued upward trend in our record, offense and defense. Now it started to level off in year 4 which is discouraging, but that doesn't mean the improvements didn't happen

Screenshot_2022-03-31_143044.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah because two of their top guys are hurt, one of which just happened!! What a stupid comment
Is it really necessary to call someone stupid. Can't you just say you disagree strongly? I guess that doesn't feed your ego? It's attitudes like this that make the Yard hard to read these days. OK, rant over, back to lurking...

Reaction Score

Hurley took over in 2018. We were Kenpom 179 and finished 2018 with a 14-18 record. We lost in the first round of the AAC tournament and did not make the NCAA's. Our 2017 recruiting class was ranked 84.

In 2022 we finished at Kenpom 21 with a 23-10 record. We have made the NCAA's 2 years in a row. Our 2021 recruiting class was ranked 7

Reaction Score
Is it really necessary to call someone stupid. Can't you just say you disagree strongly? I guess that doesn't feed your ego? It's attitudes like this that make the Yard hard to read these days. OK, rant over, back to lurking...
In fairness, he didn’t call the person stupid, he called the comment stupid. Those are very different.

Reaction Score
Yeah, lurk away then stupid. Leave the online bullying to the real boneyard dedicated posters

Joke

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The team was 9-3 because Vital was bombing away from three and averaging over 20 ppg and Bouknight came into his own and was averaging a hair under 20 ppg.
Doesn’t the right PG help guys around him play better…? If multiple guys start going off once he’s inserted into the lineup, he had to have done a pretty good job of running the offense, right?

Reaction Score
Doesn’t the right PG help guys around him play better…? If multiple guys start going off once he’s inserted into the lineup, he had to have done a pretty good job of running the offense, right?

Potentially.

But watching those games it’s not what happened.

Reaction Score
Plus Whaley's emergence. Gaffney had very little to do with that nice run.
With that roster, when Gaffney took over as starting point he just needed to initiate the offense and not turn the ball over. He had little to no responsibility on the offensive end besides that. It worked for us given how well Vital/Bouk were playing.

As an aside, Polley & Whaley got a ton of kudos from the Husky faithful for sticking it out with us and helping steer us out of the mud, but my god do I miss Vital. That man was a fricken warrior. He deserves so much more credit, just for his senior year alone, than he gets. Helped us immensely in our rebuild.

Reaction Score
Yeah, lurk away then stupid. Leave the online bullying to the real boneyard dedicated posters

Joke
Ouch! You are very right! I AM stupid and I will take your advice. I feel safer knowing the Yard has hired bouncers. Thank you!

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
fyi, stay away from the Leach Field
being called stupid is mild

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Who might these be? Who are the best available to possibly fill these roles in your opinion and/or research.
Based on the guys we have "offered", it would be Newton and Reeves.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Since coming to UConn, Hurley has almost always played his Freshman.

Brendan Adams played 12 MPG
Bouknight played 26 MPG
Akok played 28 MPG
Gaffney played 19 MPG
Sanogo played 17 MPG
Andre Jackson played 16 MPG
Hawkins 15 MPG

What about this don't you trust?
You’re right he actually likes playing freshman, did it a lot at URI. He just didn’t have confidence in Sool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom