Hurley Media Availability Tweets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Media Availability Tweets

Reaction Score
If we burned Floyd’s redshirt the last 2 weeks of the season bc Hawkins got hurt, people would’ve been calling for DH’s head. Boneyard is the king of revisionist history.
I never suggested to burn it the last 2 weeks of the season, I just stated how small things like an extra rotation player can have a big impact on a win vs a loss.

Reaction Score
Eh. Maybe. He looked like a great player in AAU/high school and I can’t wait to see him play, but the transition to college is big. It is tough to match up with 20-22 year old men at that age. Especially, Big East caliber players. The kids that can do that usually go straight to the league.
He's the most built guy on the team along with Sanogo. We didn't need him to be a star we needed another ballhandler who could get into the lane and Hurley says he would've helped us.

Reaction Score
“We’ve got to create a more competitive environment with the roster, because I did not enjoy feeling like we were trending toward a 6 1/2 man roster toward the end of the year,” Hurley said. “I want to get back to the way my teams have always played, where its like nine guys getting in.”

Reaction Score
Floyd was never going to help our PG issues. Not sure why anyone thinks that.
Another option to present at the guard position who has the ability to drive and create, aka makes the defense have to think. Doesn’t help the PG isssue specifically, but addresses much needed offensive issues

Reaction Score

Really good read about what Hurley spoke about today. Doesn’t really make it sound like he’s expecting any more departures but who knows. Mentions Jackson Hawkins and sanogo as the big 3 next year and trying to get the right talent to supplement them.

Reaction Score

Really good read about what Hurley spoke about today. Doesn’t really make it sound like he’s expecting any more departures but who knows. Mentions Jackson Hawkins and sanogo as the big 3 next year and trying to get the right talent to supplement them.

That's not a bad big 3. Put the right cast around them and we'll have a terrific team next year.

Reaction Score
You watched this team all season and didn't think we needed another ballhandler who could get into the lane? Gaffney got those minutes all season.
Ball handler absolutely, that was the difference between this team being a Sweet 16 team easily and possibly still playing. But Floyd wasn't fixing that

Reaction Score

Definitely need to see who is coming back for the other BE teams, but that's not a tournament team in my opinion. Not unless Hawkins or Jackson makes an unrealistic jump in productivity. We need a bit of magic in the offseason. Good news is, the deck is clear for a significant talent to come in and play a.s.a.p.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Encouraging.

The other 2 starters need to be portal guards who can shoot 3s & handle the ball (1 true PG and a shot creating CG).

PG - Transfer
CG - Transfer
G/F - Hawkins
G/F - Jackson
C - Sanogo

Still can get plenty of minutes for CFJ (G), Karaban (F) and Johnson (F/C) off the bench.

I’m pumped based on some of the guards we’ve been connected to on the transfer thread to fill those 2 slots. And confident the staff can do it.

3rd open scholarship could be a backup PG 1 year stop gap for depth or use for Castle reclass (even if it’s mid-year)

Reaction Score
We just played them at full strength in the BET and they played 7 guys. The 6th and 7th guys played 12 and 10 minutes respectively.
Most teams at this time of year have a 7 man rotation. What’s the point??

Reaction Score
That's not a bad big 3. Put the right cast around them and we'll have a terrific team next year.
Meh. We desperately need back court help from the portal and it sounds like DH knows this but I don’t think he is willingly going there. Maybe he was hoping for RJ to come back? I know I was.

Reaction Score
Meh. We desperately need back court help from the portal and it sounds like DH knows this but I don’t think he is willingly going there. Maybe he was hoping for RJ to come back? I know I was.

Do people just enjoy having things to worry about?

How else does one draw the conclusion that Hurley is not willing to go the transfer portal for backcourt help from his statement that a high level guard from the transfer portal is a priority?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
While Hurley didn’t rule out looking for Class of 2022 players, the emphasis appears to be on bringing in veteran talent.

“We’ve got some building blocks here that we can build around,” Hurley noted, “and some young players that believe they’re going to be able to fight their way on the court.”

He emphasized that he’d like to get back to the “four-out” style (four shooters around one big man) that he had success with at Rhode Island.

“Just get more skill on the court,” Hurley said. “Having three non-shooters in the game just becomes tough ... I think it’s really important we put guys next to Andre (Jackson) and Jordan (Hawkins), or Corey (Floyd Jr.) or Jalen (Gaffney). We’ve got to make sure it all fits.”
Year 5 feels like it’s day 1. I guess better late than never.

It’ll be interesting to see who plays the four this year. Does he go with a more offensive unit or revert back to a more defensive unit?

Hoping he doesn’t have Sanogo doing the hard hedge. Sanogo hs good foot movement but that tires him out quickly.

Reaction Score
Do people just enjoy having things to worry about?

How else does one draw the conclusion that Hurley is not willing to go the transfer portal for backcourt help from his statement that a high level guard from the transfer portal is a priority?
Not worried about him using it but he spent all season lauding the fact that we were only one of four programs that didn’t use it in 2021-22. He has also stated that using the portal can negatively impact team culture. So,
It would seem like using it is not his preference that is all I am saying. The fact that he now has to use it because he lost two PGs that maybe he was (or wasn’t) counting on i don’t know. We can only infer whether or not he expected to be in this position.

Reaction Score
12ft |

If there are no more departures, Hurley expects Corey Floyd Jr. and Alex Karaban, who are freshman who enrolled early and red-shirted, to “fight their way onto the court” next season, and joined by incoming freshman Donavan Clingan from Bristol Central. He expects Sanogo, as a junior, to be a potential All-American, Jordan Hawkins, as a sophomore, to become a centerpiece offensive player and Andre Jackson, who will be a junior, to take another big leap and become a captain and a better offensive player. “I’m excited about Andre’s leadership,” Hurley said.

Jalen Gaffney and Akok Akok, among the older players with dwindling minutes, “are both at a crossroads here,” Hurley said, “with how the season went for them and what they want to do about it. Guys have come back from their situation and become starters, play significant roles for their teams. Some guys have not.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
12ft |

If there are no more departures, Hurley expects Corey Floyd Jr. and Alex Karaban, who are freshman who enrolled early and red-shirted, to “fight their way onto the court” next season, and joined by incoming freshman Donavan Clingan from Bristol Central. He expects Sanogo, as a junior, to be a potential All-American, Jordan Hawkins, as a sophomore, to become a centerpiece offensive player and Andre Jackson, who will be a junior, to take another big leap and become a captain and a better offensive player. “I’m excited about Andre’s leadership,” Hurley said.

Jalen Gaffney and Akok Akok, among the older players with dwindling minutes, “are both at a crossroads here,” Hurley said, “with how the season went for them and what they want to do about it. Guys have come back from their situation and become starters, play significant roles for their teams. Some guys have not.”
“At this level, you can get skill and size,” Hurley said. “The situation we’ve been in, Isaiah and Adama have been two of our best players, and the drop off to our sixth player is pretty significant, and it’s about putting your best players on the court.”

This prior quote doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of Hawkins, but in the next paragraph, which you quote above, he still thinks he will become a centerpiece of the offense. Strange.

Also interesting that he's already naming Andre a captain and expecting him to be the leader of the team. Sounds like he's going all in on Andre.

Can't say I saw the leadership there, but perhaps with Martin and RJ leaving he will step into that void. I suppose someone has to. At least I hope so.

Lots of question marks. Should be an interesting year.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah. Should have played Diggins more….seriously, I used to be pro-redshirt, but in the current environment, it makes zero sense if you think a player can help to not use him. Between guys leaving early and the portal, the chance that a player stays for 4-5 years, is really slim. If he can help you, play him. Next year he might be at Northern South Dakota or Farbelow Normal College.
It’s not about what’s right for the team, it’s about what’s right for the kid. If the kid goes to the portal with one less year of eligibility it’s still bad for him and most kids don’t come out after three years.

In the current environment I still want a coach who looks out for the interest of his players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom