Hurley: "I didn't think our problems were at the defensive ends of the court. Our issues were on offense." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley: "I didn't think our problems were at the defensive ends of the court. Our issues were on offense."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the stat lines are essentially equal, but for blocks, 6-1 us, and steals, 7-1 them. blah, blah, blah, this guy, that guy, coaches, refs, ... hooey. both stars led, our guy got tired, their homecourt where their seniors knew the ropes.
bottom line? jump ball, till next time. we'll be ready.
is today the day when tyler gets moved to near the end of the bench? what's he do again?

Reaction Score
It’s wild overreactions in either direction game to game. It’s nuts.
On one hand UConn hasn't been good in a while so it's hard for people to remember to trust the process.

On another hand we do live in a hot take culture.

But these are then paired with people who literally don't know the basics of basketball: they have no idea what they're watching but think they're geniuses. The board's become the perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. It always had some of it, but it's much worse now.

Reaction Score
There is no reason to have Sanogo outside the 3 point line handling the ball. Put him down low and move from side to side trying to gain advantage and rebound.
If you want to create space for Bouk you have to bring Sanogo out. I love the post game but Bouk creating is the bigger weapon. That doesn’t mean Sanogo doesn’t factor in the offense, it just means he doesn’t work block to block with his back to the basket.

Reaction Score
oh how I miss the UConn of old. Can only hope we pull it together and find again what made UConn UConn ...

CV1

Reaction Score
How about we give credit to the #10 team in the country. Was a great game. Would've been a great bonus to win but now we have to win the games we should be winning
I agree. Nova was just the better team today. Gillespie made our guards look silly with his pump fakes and then hitting those 2 dagger 3’s late in the game. We used to have assassins like that on our side and soon enough we will again.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s amazing how much better they look when they knock down shots. Guys who put points on the board when they win weren’t making anything today.
Funny how the team that makes more shots usually wins. This thread reminds me of a conversation I had several years ago with a pretty good former Husky who played for Calhoun. I asked him if in Calhoun’s head the other team ever made a good play. He laughed and said of course not.

Reaction Score
If you want to create space for Bouk you have to bring Sanogo out. I love the post game but Bouk creating is the bigger weapon. That doesn’t mean Sanogo doesn’t factor in the offense, it just means he doesn’t work block to block with his back to the basket.
Yeah some of our forum members want us to use our size and dominate down low. Which can be a strategy that can win you some games. But as you say, it can work against your other goals, like getting Bouk driving lanes and less help defenders. Our bigs aren't really vertical spacers. It would be great if we had a lob threat so Bouk could draw the D and throw over the top.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
fail good day GIF by 1331Creative

After 3-4 of these, I agree with Coach.

Reaction Score
Seriously, who are you beating scoring 60 pts. Nova went 5-22 from 3. D did its job. Every player makes one more shot apiece and this is a win.
And three of them were at the end of the shot clock. How come other teams have shooters? You’d think a good shooter would see a lot of pt here.

Reaction Score
You can compete with defense but you have to put the ball in the bucket to win big.

Just imagine replacing a defender in Whaley with the talent of Samson Johnson.
Just imagine having a PG in Rashool Diggins that can break down and deliver.
The knock-down creative shooter we've been craving in Jordan Hawkins.
Sanogo with another year.
Jackson's coming out party.

Right now we beat Nova on only the best of days.
Enjoy the ride from destitution to deliverance, my friends. The destination will be worth it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
On one hand UConn hasn't been good in a while so it's hard for people to remember to trust the process.

On another hand we do live in a hot take culture.

But these are then paired with people who literally don't know the basics of basketball: they have no idea what they're watching but think they're geniuses. The board's become the perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. It always had some of it, but it's much worse now.
Well put.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting towards the end when the reporter asked about Gillespie's post ups and his response about it being Big East basketball and a physical league. Which I agree with but the number of ticky tack fouls and late whistles against us was frustrating.

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting towards the end when the reporter asked about Gillespie's post ups and his response about it being Big East basketball and a physical league. Which I agree with but the number of ticky tack fouls and late whistles against us was frustrating.
There were a few fouls both ways where the refs should have swallowed the whistle.

Reaction Score
It's almost like you're not going to beat a Top 10 team on the road shooting 26% from 3.

The team plays the same style every game but they win and Hurley's a genius when they hit 35% from 3 and he's a bum when they hit 25%.
Yup.

But; I'm not saying triangle; but I really think Danny needs his Tex Winter. The kids play hard for him game in and game out. The D is generally solid and clearly he can recruit at a UConn Beast level. Scheming the Offense isn't his strongest skill.

Reaction Score
Credit a great coaching job to have Vill guards back down Cole and others. Our defense offered zero help, pure one on one. Our players also often bit for the head and body fakes by leaving our feet. Sad to see both of these developments with no coaching response except for taking out Cole early. We never established our game but ran the clock down many times with nothing passes and no set picks. Why didn't we use our height advantage? We seem to revert to the slow offensive pattern when we lost four in a row. We are a better team than the lack of interest many court minutes showed today.
I read Bob Knights book. He talks about how you’re not playing against Duke or Indiana or Nova. You’re playing against the game of basketball . This perfectly describes these types of Uconn losses. They create their own obstacles. Can’t overcome them. Make bad decisions. Beat themselves. Players and cosching staff. If you add up all the bad decisions they made its a wonder they they didn’t lose by 20.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Coaches look bad when their teams don’t make shots.
Teams usually don't shoot well or run effective offenses to create the best opportunities when it appears to be not a priority and are not taught how to take advantage of an opponents changing weaknesses
This team has a decent defense because that has been the only emphasis of the game that has been worked on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom