Hurley "I certainly won't be coaching in my 60's" | The Boneyard

Hurley "I certainly won't be coaching in my 60's"

Reaction Score
Just a random quote he gave in an interview with Field of 68. Might give some insight into how long he thinks he'll be coaching, or it could be just something he said in the heat of the moment. I'm not savvy enough to link the interview. I also don't care right now. WE ARE THE CHAMPS, AGAIN.

Reaction Score
Just a random quote he gave in an interview with Field of 68. Might give some insight into how long he thinks he'll be coaching, or it could be just something he said in the heat of the moment. I'm not savvy enough to link the interview. I also don't care right now. WE ARE THE CHAMPS, AGAIN.
10 years ago he was saying he wasn’t going to coach into his 50s.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised to be honest. When you see how hard he tries and how much energy he puts into this thing, it wouldn't shock me if there is burnout around that age for him. I definitely hope the job will get easier and easier for him from this point forward and he continues for a long time with us.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m guessing Jays early retirement might’ve inspired younger coaches to look at the bigger picture. Such a high stress job, must wear on them mentally by 60 years old. Hope he guts it out for another decade though.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Belichick saying he wasn't going to "be like Marv Levy and coaching in my 70s" back in 2009. He's turning 71 and has both his sons on staff. Maybe Hurley will have Andrew as an assistant and reassess.

Reaction Score
Difference is this though, Danny has a family well integrated into this game even including his wife Andrea. They all love this as hard as it is and one other thing….They are basketball lifers. That’s a family connection and addiction to the game that is not easy to give up. Then there’s the dough…..

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well, that's at least 10 more seasons away. We have time to worry about that. Pay Kimani or Luke and keep them around to take over. I'm very confident Kimani would do just fine.

Zero chance one of them is still here in 3 seasons, much less both in 10.

Reaction Score
Geno said something similar in his 50s, and he's still here at nearly 70 years old. I think it's easy to say something like this when it is so seemingly far away, but when push comes to shove and you get to that age, it's hard to just pick up and walk away especially from something you built.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Zero chance one of them is still here in 3 seasons, much less both in 10.
Very true, but there is no reason each can't spend a number of years honing his skills as a head coach at a lesser school and then return to the mother ship when the time comes.

Reaction Score
Am I imagining it or did Hurley say at one point that he'd like to coach in the NBA someday?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
What does he think he'll be doing in his 60s? Every person I know who retired early has a spouse telling them to get a job.
Well I agree because I am about in the zone you mention. Would rather be swinging a club or on a boat but my wife says I ain’t ready for that……not sure how she is so certain..

Reaction Score
He’s poised with the opportunity to be an absolute coaching legend. How many can say they’ve done what he has at his age? We’ll see what happens when the time comes.

Reaction Score
I think he actually said "...in the '60's..." because by 2060 he'd be 87. I'll cut him some slack.

Reaction Score
Geno said something similar in his 50s, and he's still here at nearly 70 years old. I think it's easy to say something like this when it is so seemingly far away, but when push comes to shove and you get to that age, it's hard to just pick up and walk away especially from something you built.
Especially when it means leaving behind kids you recruited and made commitments to. And I don't mean he'd be obligated to stay, just that he might feel that way, himself. I think that's part of what keeps Geno going

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom