Hurley high on Tyler Polley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley high on Tyler Polley

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Full disclosure. I did not watch every second of every game last year, so there is the possibility someone can find a video clip which contradicts what I observed regarding Polley's rebounding.

Quite often when the opposing team shot the ball Polley was going towards halfcourt vice crashing the boards. This was definitely done by design to try and get players out on the break. Remember Donny Marshall used to do this 20 years ago and got plenty of breakaway dunks and layups while playing the four. In order to make this work though, you need someone else to rebound. Maybe Polley was just really bad so Hurley said, screw it, run out on the break, I'll have my guards rebound. But you definitely saw a game planned decision to have guards crashing boards and Polley running away from the boards.
Personally, the raw numbers show Polley was a horrible rebounder last season. I'm assuming Hurley and his staff are competent and if they wanted Polley to rebound better they would have made changes. You can counter with staff had no other options. I'd counter the counter with if Hurley was that upset he'd find a way to park Polley's arse on the bench or get on his butt during the game for failing to rebound.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Full disclosure. I did not watch every second of every game last year, so there is the possibility someone can find a video clip which contradicts what I observed regarding Polley's rebounding.

Quite often when the opposing team shot the ball Polley was going towards halfcourt vice crashing the boards. This was definitely done by design to try and get players out on the break.

I get this mindset, but Christian Vital averaged about two and a half times as many rebounds as Polley last year, and he's a guard. Why would Hurley be encouraging his stretch 4 that doesn't have great handle to be getting out on the break but not his 6'2" shooting guard?

Reaction Score

Quite often when the opposing team shot the ball Polley was going towards halfcourt vice crashing the boards. This was definitely done by design to try and get players out on the break. Remember Donny Marshall used to do this 20 years ago and got plenty of breakaway dunks and layups while playing the four. In order to make this work though, you need someone else to rebound. Maybe Polley was just really bad so Hurley said, screw it, run out on the break, I'll have my guards rebound. But you definitely saw a game planned decision to have guards crashing boards and Polley running away from the boards.
Personally, the raw numbers show Polley was a horrible rebounder last season. I'm assuming Hurley and his staff are competent and if they wanted Polley to rebound better they would have made changes. You can counter with staff had no other options. I'd counter the counter with if Hurley was that upset he'd find a way to park Polley's arse on the bench or get on his butt during the game for failing to rebound.

Thart's possible Chin. Hadn't thought that it was by design. However we were a terrible rebounding team as a whole. Cost us many games. If by design it was a mistake because we needed everyone on the boards. Can't run without the ball.

Reaction Score

We played 4 out with vital and polley on the wings a lot. With movement and screens of course... usually you'd have your "4" Polley crash and the guards (rique, jalen, vital) be ready for outlets or running to the rim for layups. Keeps the other team from sending 3+ to offensive rebound.

I think Polley was so bad at both rebounding and outlet passing he just had him play the role of the early rim runner instead of a more natural candidate positionally. That left vital playing the "4" role a lot of the time when it came to the defensive boards. Lucky for us, Vital is an absolute warrior and managed pretty well in there.

If Polley is able to defend the 3 at an even average level and play WITH Akok and Carlton we are going to be scary good.

Reaction Score
I get this mindset, but Christian Vital averaged about two and a half times as many rebounds as Polley last year, and he's a guard. Why would Hurley be encouraging his stretch 4 that doesn't have great handle to be getting out on the break but not his 6'2" shooting guard?

Bc he couldn't rebound or hit the outlet well. Our best bet was a Polley 1 dribble pull up 3. Worked pretty well at times. there's only so much Vital could do, but somebody had to try to rebound and it wasnt going to be polley.

pj

Reaction Score
I think the keys to next year are CV developing into what we’ve seen glimpses of - explosive scoring, ability to hit clutch 3s, quickness. His problem has been keeping it together for a whole game. He’s got plenty of years behind him now and a year with Hurley... if he can pull it together he should be amazing.
And Akok with that half a year head start practicing with the team should take advantage of his raw talent and adjust some of the deficits he has. If he can help on defense and CV scores consistently, j think we’ve got ourselves a .500 team (that shouldn’t be too much to ask).

I think the keys are to get Valdir Manuel, and to stay injury-free.

If those things happen we'll be 2-deep at every position, and I trust Hurley to get the most out of his players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd go with these two responses. Polley wasn't very good at rebounding and Vital was willing to mix it up.
I think Polley was so bad at both rebounding and outlet passing he just had him play the role of the early rim runner instead of a more natural candidate positionally. That left vital playing the "4" role a lot of the time when it came to the defensive boards. Lucky for us, Vital is an absolute warrior and managed pretty well in there.
Bc he couldn't rebound or hit the outlet well. Our best bet was a Polley 1 dribble pull up 3. Worked pretty well at times. there's only so much Vital could do, but somebody had to try to rebound and it wasnt going to be polley.

I'll also add, while I certainly don't want Polley leading the break and dribbling 3/4 of the court, he did have a few nifty moves while out in front of the break to get layups or dunks. I was pleasantly surprised (could be based on low expectations) how well he could adjust near the rim on fastbreaks.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Polley will earn minutes, but he won't have to earn them to get them. We're three months away from the start of practice and still projecting a 10-man roster. Two of our frontcourt candidates, Wilson and Whaley, are question marks at best. An injury or two and Polley will be our starting center.

I would put money on this being our starting line up on opening day. Reminiscent of '11, when Roscoe started as a 3 put then we'd go smaller with 3 guards and give him the majority of his minutes as a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
I think the keys to next year are CV developing into what we’ve seen glimpses of - explosive scoring, ability to hit clutch 3s, quickness. His problem has been keeping it together for a whole game. He’s got plenty of years behind him now and a year with Hurley... if he can pull it together he should be amazing.
And Akok with that half a year head start practicing with the team should take advantage of his raw talent and adjust some of the deficits he has. If he can help on defense and CV scores consistently, j think we’ve got ourselves a .500 team (that shouldn’t be too much to ask).
Considering how much went wrong last year and the team was just below .500 I won't be happy if they go .500 this season. If they don't win 19-20 games I will say they under achieved. Am I asking too much?

Reaction Score

POlley was forced to play out of position. The kid is a 3 not a 4. He got a lot better and driving to the basket last season but to all of sudden expecting him to become a rebounder is a stretch. If he becomes a little better rebounder I'd be satisfied.

Reaction Score
POlley was forced to play out of position. The kid is a 3 not a 4. He got a lot better and driving to the basket last season but to all of sudden expecting him to become a rebounder is a stretch. If he becomes a little better rebounder I'd be satisfied.

Forget about position on offense. 3 and 4 are the same in this offense. The 4 will set some more screens when Hurley goes to double screen sets. Ultimately, It's about who you can defend.

Polley needs to be able to defend 3s. He wasn't able to his first two years. He even needs to defend guards if he wants to compete at the 3. Bouknight looks a lot more like a 3 in college basketball than Polley does.

Polley as a stretch 4 is fine if he keeps bulking up and commits to being a tougher rebounder. Because Akok is longer, taller, and has basically the same skill set with added shot blocking and athleticism. He'll catch up quick if Polley doesn't put in the work.

Reaction Score
Considering how much went wrong last year and the team was just below .500 I won't be happy if they go .500 this season. If they don't win 19-20 games I will say they under achieved. Am I asking too much?

Not at all. They better win over 20 games. Time for low expectations to go away. This team has talent and Hurley will be in his second full season with them. Freaking USF had 24 wins last year

C

Chief00

Such a delicious offseason nugget of information.

It's literally the worst player who has the most room for improvement.
Quite frankly, the issue for Tyler will be if he can mentally process the game in real time so Tyler’s game appears more “instinctive”. He also needs to find that killer instinct to rebound and score the ball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Forget about position on offense. 3 and 4 are the same in this offense. The 4 will set some more screens when Hurley goes to double screen sets. Ultimately, It's about who you can defend.

Polley needs to be able to defend 3s. He wasn't able to his first two years. He even needs to defend guards if he wants to compete at the 3. Bouknight looks a lot more like a 3 in college basketball than Polley does.

Polley as a stretch 4 is fine if he keeps bulking up and commits to being a tougher rebounder. Because Akok is longer, taller, and has basically the same skill set with added shot blocking and athleticism. He'll catch up quick if Polley doesn't put in the work.

He defended McDuffie very well and did a good job on other 3s in the second half of the season. But I think Polley is primarily a 4 and is bulking up to be better at that role. I sure hope Akok catches and passes him by September.

Reaction Score
He defended McDuffie very well and did a good job on other 3s in the second half of the season. But I think Polley is primarily a 4 and is bulking up to be better at that role. I sure hope Akok catches and passes him by September.

Yeah, if Akok makes it a tough decision who to ride at the 4.. or even forcing Hurley to play him and Akok and the 3 and 4 on the wings at times.. we are in a really good spot for the season. I would expect Akok to need some time like all freshman. He will be inconsistent.

Reaction Score
My expectations for Akok next year are lower than Polley. Akok has that NBA skill set we need, but I believe the speed of the game and the size and strength of the other teams are going to hurt his minutes due both to mismatches and foul trouble. I don't think he'll be a one and done, but I'd be happy to be wrong as he'd have to make a pretty big impact to put himself in a position to be drafted in the first round.

I expect Polley to make a similar jump in improvement to what we saw from Carlton. I defended Carlton and I'll defend Polley. There are obvious tools to work with. He just needs to put it all together, and we have the right coaching staff to help him do that.

Reaction Score

Eventually we need somebody to rebound besides Josh.

Reaction Score
Not at all. They better win over 20 games. Time for low expectations to go away. This team has talent and Hurley will be in his second full season with them. Freaking USF had 24 wins last year
USF had one of the worst schedules in college basketball and only got to 20 wins (despite that!) by playing in the CBI and got their 20th win by beating Stony Brook in OT.

They are a bad comparison. Or, better yet, they are the a poster-child for why touting 20 wins is the equivalent of caring about pitching wins in baseball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom