Hurley high on Tyler Polley | The Boneyard

Hurley high on Tyler Polley

Reaction Score
Polley can shoot, is long as hell, and seems to be finding his athleticism if that makes sense. I would be high on him too if I was a coach. He may be our longest player after Carlton and Akok.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tweet didn't load for me. What did he say?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Polley can shoot, is long as hell, and seems to be finding his athleticism if that makes sense. I would be high on him too if I was a coach. He may be our longest player after Carlton and Akok.
I always forget he’s 6’9”. My mental height (if that makes sense) for him is 6’5”.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
removed the embedded tweet and just copy/pasted in original post. you should be able to see it now.

Thanks. I think it's Polley or Sid. Nobody else is in position to make that kind of jump. Gilbert is there, Carlton made his jump last year and CV is what he is.

What Polley needs to improve, toughness and rebounding, is probably easier to do than what Sid needs to do (shooting, ball handling).

Reaction Score
He can make shots, and if he can defend and rebound he’s a major piece for us because we’re working around no bench in the front court. He was the one who the halfcourt offense set up for last year so it’s now or never for him. Maybe he finally understands that but let’s see it against quality opponents.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I made a threat last week about how I felt that Polley was in line for a big year. He finally has legit competition at the stretch 4 spot. This will push him even harder, force him to improve. I think we could see a lot of Polley and Akok playing together with Akok at the 5. Certainly not the best rebounding lineup but will give us mobility to run the extremely uptempo offense Hurley wants to run. It will also help us spread the floor in the half court.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If he makes a leap in rebounding he’s going to grade very effectively next year. He was already neutral defensively (in DBPM) despite some ridiculously low rebounding levels for a 4.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Such a delicious offseason nugget of information.

It's literally the worst player who has the most room for improvement.

Reaction Score
I made a threat last week about how I felt that Polley was in line for a big year. He finally has legit competition at the stretch 4 spot. This will push him even harder, force him to improve. I think we could see a lot of Polley and Akok playing together with Akok at the 5. Certainly not the best rebounding lineup but will give us mobility to run the extremely uptempo offense Hurley wants to run. It will also help us spread the floor in the half court.

Against abysmal front lines, possibly. Akok is long, but he's barely cracking 200lbs. If the other team has an interior scoring threat AT ALL, I can't imagine that happening.

But Polley should be better. 6'8-9 shooters aren't cheap in basketball. If he can knock down 3s and be passable on defense, he will earn minutes. Anything else is gravy

Reaction Score
If you saw the picture with him and Bazz he looked min 9-10 inches taller .than SN.
Whose probably legitimately 5’11”
He is a BB 6’10 legitimately 6’8”
Can shoot the ball and even put it on the floor.which his lack of physical strength made it difficult.
With additional power and more importantly confidence in that power he could be a diamond in the rough as is Carlton.
If Whaley and Wilson comes around that could turn into a very good recruiting class.
Those three were thrown to the wolves as very young freshman .

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If he makes a leap in rebounding he’s going to grade very effectively next year. He was already neutral defensively (in DBPM) despite some ridiculously low rebounding levels for a 4.
His rebounding troubles have more to do with his lack of toughness than anything else. He was afraid to get in the paint and mix it up with the bigs in conference. Hopefully with age and a little added weight will come confidence to get in there and mix it up in the paint for boards.

Reaction Score
Against abysmal front lines, possibly. Akok is long, but he's barely cracking 200lbs. If the other team has an interior scoring threat AT ALL, I can't imagine that happening.

But Polley should be better. 6'8-9 shooters aren't cheap in basketball. If he can knock down 3s and be passable on defense, he will earn minutes. Anything else is gravy

Hopefully, Polley will earn minutes, but he won't have to earn them to get them. We're three months away from the start of practice and still projecting a 10-man roster. Two of our frontcourt candidates, Wilson and Whaley, are question marks at best. An injury or two and Polley will be our starting center.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Or just not expecting much from the other returnees ;)

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein
Dan Hurley tells me that out of UConn's returnees, he feels that Tyler Polley has the chance to make the biggest jump during the 19-20 season.
11:19 AM - Jul 1, 2019

@notthestuff
giphy.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'll stick my neck out, and y'all can make fun of me. I think the BY will be surprised by the substantial improvement in Polley and Whaley this year. Both will be major contributors, and Polley may start at the 3 because his length will give him huge mismatches against a lot of opponents. Plus, for rebounds he won't be banging with much stronger 4's but will be reaching above leaner 3's. Whaley will be seeing minutes spelling Akok and Carlton at both 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Polley will earn minutes, but he won't have to earn them to get them. We're three months away from the start of practice and still projecting a 10-man roster. Two of our frontcourt candidates, Wilson and Whaley, are question marks at best. An injury or two and Polley will be our starting center.

I mean earn more than Akok. Akok is good. He is very inconsistent and weak on the boards at times. But he is an elite shot blocker and quick as can be. Unfortunately polley brings nothing BUT 3 point shooting currently.

Reaction Score
I'll stick my neck out, and y'all can make fun of me. I think the BY will be surprised by the substantial improvement in Polley and Whaley this year. Both will be major contributors, and Polley may start at the 3 because his length will give him huge mismatches against a lot of opponents. Plus, for rebounds he won't be banging with much stronger 4's but will be reaching above leaner 3's. Whaley will be seeing minutes spelling Akok and Carlton at both 4 and 5.

If Whaley can play at a strong 220lbs he could be very effective.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I think it's Polley or Sid. Nobody else is in position to make that kind of jump. Gilbert is there, Carlton made his jump last year and CV is what he is.

What Polley needs to improve, toughness and rebounding, is probably easier to do than what Sid needs to do (shooting, ball handling).
Has Gilbert arrived? For Al to make an all-conference team his production and efficiency would have to improve dramatically. Al averaged 12.5 pts and 3.6 assists last year when All-AAC guards averaged 17 and 3 (Corey Davis), 18.8 and 3.5 (Cumberland) and 18 and 2.5 (Jahmal Macmurray) to name a few. If we want to compete in our first year in the BE we are going need him to take a jump as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom