Hurley Has To Pull A Rabbit Out Of A Hat | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Has To Pull A Rabbit Out Of A Hat

Reaction Score
Good God. I must have been asleep the day at law school when they explained that “sloppy and unmotivated” is just a synonym for “rusty and banged up.”

Un-friggin-motivated? Two weeks ago we had lunatics explaining that we’d never see this guy in a UConn uniform again because he was worried about protecting his draft status. Now we see a guy who is still banged up flying all over people trying to get to loose balls and make defensive blocks and someone sees “unmotivated?”
Bouk was pouting a lot last night. You can tell the night he's having by just looking at his body language. As the leader of the team he needs to work on that. I don't doubt his commitment, but best believe when he looks defeated his teammates follow him

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This stuff about Bouknight's body language is stupid. I have some news: you don't want to win more than he does, no matter how much you think you do.
Note to Bouknight. Froth at the mouth and stamp your foot so people think you are motivated.

There was a kid a year ahead of me in my hs who was the best athlete his age in the state. While not as tall, think Scott Burrell. First team all state in hoops as a guard, football as a QB and baseball as a pitcher/outfielder. Played AAA baseball and minor league football. He was sitting next to me watching the JV hoops before his game and as one player kept acting out and woofing, he remarked to me that he tries to be even keel because it only messed him up to let his emotions take over. The point is, some players are demonstrative and some aren’t. It often has zero to do with their actual motivation.

Reaction Score
I thought one of the things we loved most about guys like Kemba and Brimah was how their body language and their joy playing the game inspired their teammates. You all are also the ones who complained night and day about Ollie's body language on the sidelines for years. Believe it or not his body language is a direct reflection of his confidence in the moment. When your best player is visibly lacking confidence it does effect the team

Reaction Score
Believe it or not his body language is a direct reflection of his confidence in the moment. When your best player is visibly lacking confidence it does effect the team

These "I'm going to tell you what's going on with the internal dynamic of a team I'm not a part of" posts drive me duck___ nuts. Bouknight was not a demonstrative player before his injury. He just wasn't. Saying he was "pouting" last night is just dumb.

Let's bitch about how he's selfish because his "camp" is holding him out to protect his bank account, and then when it turns out we were talking out of our asses and he comes back let's bitch about how you don't see the "joy" that you saw with Amidah Brimah.

That's enough Boneyard for the day, I think.

Reaction Score
These "I'm going to tell you what's going on with the internal dynamic of a team I'm not a part of" posts drive me duck___ nuts. Bouknight was not a demonstrative player before his injury. He just wasn't. Saying he was "pouting" last night is just dumb.

Let's bitch about how he's selfish because his "camp" is holding him out to protect his bank account, and then when it turns out we were talking out of our asses and he comes back let's bitch about how you don't see the "joy" that you saw with Amidah Brimah.

That's enough Boneyard for the day, I think.
My comment is true for any team. Ask any coach and they'll tell you that they address body language with their team leaders. It matters in all forms of leadership. His body language isn't always bad. But last night in the 1st half he looked visibly frustrated and not confident. Whether it be in his body or his game. I even pondered whether he was under the whether. He's not demonstrative, but the first half last night was a little different from my vantage point. It's not a BIG issue or even one at all. But its something i think he can improve upon if we're going to make a serious run.

Reaction Score
My comment is true for any team. Ask any coach and they'll tell you that they address body language with their team leaders. It matters in all forms of leadership. His body language isn't always bad. But last night in the 1st half he looked visibly frustrated and not confident. Whether it be in his body or his game. I even pondered whether he was under the whether. He's not demonstrative, but the first half last night was a little different from my vantage point. It's not a BIG issue or even one at all. But its something i think he can improve upon if we're going to make a serious run.
A coach might address body language because a coach knows the player well enough to accurately assess that body language and how that body language is actually affecting the rest of the team.

You're just speculating from the other end of a TV set. I think there's a big different there.

Reaction Score
A coach might address body language because a coach knows the player well enough to accurately assess that body language and how that body language is actually affecting the rest of the team.

You're just speculating from the other end of a TV set. I think there's a big different there.
We're all speculating on everything based upon our observation. It's a sports message board. If you don't want to see speculation or other peoples opinions this isn't the place for you. If you thought his body language was good in the first half or a non issue cool. I just disagree

Reaction Score
We're all speculating on everything based upon our observation. It's a sports message board. If you don't want to see speculation or other peoples opinions this isn't the place for you. If you thought his body language was good in the first half or a non issue cool. I just disagree
You do realize there's a difference between observation and speculation, right? Or about talking about any number of things based on our observations and prior knowledge on the one hand and speculating about things we cannot know, right?

I don't know, I've been a part of this message forever—before it was even here—and plenty people here have been able to have interesting and engaging conversations without baselessly speculating about things we cannot possibly actually know about. There's certainly a difference when you have real reports and things, or when Bazz and Boat are literally pushing each other. But "moody kid looked moody" isn't necessarily an indicator of anything else.

I guess I'd quote you right back at you: It's a sports message board. If you don't want to criticizing your baseless opinions this isn't the place for you. See how easy and meaningless that statement is?

Reaction Score
My usage of the word unmotivated seems controversial. Probably a poor choice of words on my part. I'm completely fine with rusty or some other word.

I also think many are missing what I thought was the larger point. Which was Hurley has an opportunity to really show why he's the guy for the job. Get things right in a short amount of time.

I'll concede unmotivated was the wrong word. I'm not married to it

Reaction Score
Bouk was pouting a lot last night. You can tell the night he's having by just looking at his body language. As the leader of the team he needs to work on that. I don't doubt his commitment, but best believe when he looks defeated his teammates follow him

I fully agree with that. But that has nothing to do with being motivated.

What he lacks is a certain sense of maturity. Knowing that the vibes he sends out effects his teammate, and knowing that his offensive skills are sorely needed that he doesn't need to keep risking his body on low percentage aerial acts to block a shot or grab every rebound. Kemba knew that you couldn't ask your body to do everything it could do on literally every play if you wanted to be effective for 37 minutes a game.

Hopefully Bouk will learn this as he matures. But none of this has to do with him being, as he was accused of, unmotivated.

Reaction Score
We have one player who can create his own shot. That’s a problem that isn’t getting resolved this season.
Well, it sure seemed that Cole also created his own shot a lot in the second half under great pressure. He had great body control and was willing to force the defense with penetration. For all his ball handling, this was his very best game as a Husky. He also quickly passed downcourt when the double team approached and ran the offense much faster, perhaps a pace that we look much better at. Martin also can create his shot, and is a fine offensive rebounder. The second half was much better with good ball movement and timely shooting. If this can be our model going forward we can be a factor in the next month.

Reaction Score
Well, it sure seemed that Cole also created his own shot a lot in the second half under great pressure. He had great body control and was willing to force the defense with penetration. For all his ball handling, this was his very best game as a Husky. He also quickly passed downcourt when the double team approached and ran the offense much faster, perhaps a pace that we look much better at. Martin also can create his shot, and is a fine offensive rebounder. The second half was much better with good ball movement and timely shooting. If this can be our model going forward we can be a factor in the next month.

There may be a key word missing here. I think everyone knows that, second to Bouk, Cole can create a shot. That, however, is different than being able to make the shot he creates. In the vast majority of games, Cole doesn't make nearly enough of the shots he creates for himself. Last night, overall but especially in the second half, he was superb.

(Does anyone else remember the episode where Seinfeld rented a car. Something like "Yes, you were able to take the reservation, but you weren't able to honor the reservations, and that's an essential part of the process." That's what this distinction reminds me of.)

Reaction Score
My usage of the word unmotivated seems controversial. Probably a poor choice of words on my part. I'm completely fine with rusty or some other word.

I also think many are missing what I thought was the larger point. Which was Hurley has an opportunity to really show why he's the guy for the job. Get things right in a short amount of time.

I'll concede unmotivated was the wrong word. I'm not married to it
Ummm, a little late you think??

The BY’s in flames and an angry mob is rioting. “Nothing to see here, move on everyone, move on!”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There may be a key word missing here. I think everyone knows that, second to Bouk, Cole can create a shot. That, however, is different than being able to make the shot he creates. In the vast majority of games, Cole doesn't make nearly enough of the shots he creates for himself. Last night, overall but especially in the second half, he was superb.

(Does anyone else remember the episode where Seinfeld rented a car. Something like "Yes, you were able to take the reservation, but you weren't able to honor the reservations, and that's an essential part of the process." That's what this distinction reminds me of.)
True, you got to deliver the goods and often Cole puts himself in a desperate position. That wasn't true last evening. He seems to be growing in his role and did much less dribbling, more passing/driving. Being a lefty has advantages even though with nearly all players today it doesn't matter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mad Old School GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
Trippy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess I'd quote you right back at you: It's a sports message board. If you don't want to criticizing your baseless opinions this isn't the place for you. See how easy and meaningless that statement is?
And yet, it’s also profoundly true. It never ceases to amaze me how often people who lob bombs here are also thin skinned

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom