Hurley Effect | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Effect

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Every team has to play these games. If the crowd sucks blame the fan base.
Exactly. The difference is ESPN will broadcast Univ. of Hartford @ Duke for the entire country to see. Like last night.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Exactly. The difference is ESPN will broadcast Univ. of Hartford @ Duke for the entire country to see. Like last night.

We'll it's visually appealing when they pack Cameron. This ESPN hate here is comical.

Reaction Score
I’m never going to blame the fan base for not showing on a Wednesday 6pm tip off in downtown Hartford during rush hour. I don’t think that’s fair. The majority of us wouldn’t rush straight after work to a game where you have to go through traffic and pay money to park. I was specifically alluding to a 6pm start time in downtown Hartford on a Wednesday. And technically they did broadcast our game nationally albeit on ESPNU. I don’t think they were ever intending on putting unranked UConn vs 2-5 Lafayette on the mother ship. Also I don’t hate ESPN. I used to work there and they mean a lot to me.

Reaction Score
Only thing about Hurley is that he seems surprised about how UConn works. I don’t think I ever heard a word about the XL center before with Ollie but a game like tonight wasn’t gunna get more than 6,000 people and that shoulda been played at gampel. I’m hoping he changes some of the scheduled games the next few years. He went from packed houses for every Rhode Island game to this mismanagement of arenas. It does have a huge effect sometimes on energy and performance.

Weekday games should all be in Storrs. Games over thanksgiving break and winter break should all be in Hartford. Pretty simple stuff.

Reaction Score
I like this. We should play all the big games at XL. And on the weekend. And when is the refurbishment scheduled?

Reaction Score
I like this. We should play all the big games at XL. And on the weekend. And when is the refurbishment scheduled?
Pretty confident they don’t have funding secured for refurbishing. I also don’t see any in the near future unless a private company gets involved and even then it might get tricky. My bet? Don’t expect anything for 5-10 years. XL is still serviceable but just needs tinkering in terms of scheduling

Reaction Score
Makes one feel like being in coma for the last few years. He's such a good coach, with the strength as a effective player coach. He's playing 8-10 guys and I see no pouting, sad faces or disgruntlement when substituted. He's pushing buttons, making them bust their butts and having them understand playing time is earned. I see no favorites either, although I'm sure he loves having Jalen on his team. He's got Vital, Jalen, Polley, Carlton and Cobb playing much better this year than last. Makes a fan feel sorry for Boatright, Deandre and DHam. Too bad Jalen didn't have him for four years. But enough of the rear view mirror, all that seems so distant now.

Also he's building a machine, one that's very powerful and not reliant on any one part. Although Jalen is the most important piece.

Its becoming obvious that the decision to bring him on is looking to be a program saver for us. And its just the beginning, very beginning. Goes to show, you don't have to have UConn pedigree to know UConn pedigree.

I know you mean the players buuuttttt
1544110017973.jpeg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This absolutely should've been a Gampel game. Wtf is a 6pm game in Hartford the week before finals? Do they expect students to be able to make that?

I expect Hurley will be making some XL/Gampel scheduling changes, as well.

Never mind students, it's not easy on the donors either

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This absolutely should've been a Gampel game. Wtf is a 6pm game in Hartford the week before finals? Do they expect students to be able to make that?

I expect Hurley will be making some XL/Gampel scheduling changes, as well.
The game should have been played in Gampel and should not have been commandeered by ESPN at 6:00, but being the week before finals is mutually exclusive of the former two terms.

Reaction Score
The game should have been played in Gampel and should not have been commandeered by ESPN at 6:00, but being the week before finals is mutually exclusive of the former two terms.
A lot more students would’ve showed. Idk that whole situation yesterday rubbed me the wrong way. Hell some boneyard people forgot The game was going

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A lot more students would’ve showed. Idk that whole situation yesterday rubbed me the wrong way. Hell some boneyard people forgot The game was going

Yes, but not because it is the week before Finals.

Reaction Score
Yes, but not because it is the week before Finals.
True true. I just hope we avoid that again.It’s sad that I can’t wait for CBSSN and SNY games

Reaction Score
Obviously people stayed away because they saw we can't shoot at the XL. Waiting for a few more practices there. Actually we wasted all that money on the practice facility since shooting there won't help us. There's a nice study room there though.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If it actually is difficult to shoot at the XL, this would be a HUGE advantage for us.

C

Chief00

Only thing about Hurley is that he seems surprised about how UConn works. I don’t think I ever heard a word about the XL center before with Ollie but a game like tonight wasn’t gunna get more than 6,000 people and that shoulda been played at gampel. I’m hoping he changes some of the scheduled games the next few years. He went from packed houses for every Rhode Island game to this mismanagement of arenas. It does have a huge effect sometimes on energy and performance.
Danny Hurley is quite aware of how UConn basically works, and there’s some things he wants to change. I applaud him for challengeing the unaccountable bureaucratic UConn/XL management status quo. If Danny wants to practice, put down the floor - simple as that.
Also, turn the heat on well before the game - so the system isn’t blowing air full force during the game - causing air currents which impacts shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Sometimes Chief forgets we all have different reference points. Basically, 2 - 3 hours before the game the temperature should be what you want it to be at game time. That way the system is quietly maintaining a temperature - and mostly not working during the game period. That prevents various strong air flows that can impact shooting just enough.
Chief is suspicious that the new ice chilling system may have upset whatever temperature equilibrium balance that existed at XL. Now you have a 30 year old heating system battling a brand new ice chilly system. Who loses? You don’t have to be a genius to figure that out.

Reaction Score
Sometimes Chief forgets we all have different reference points. Basically, 2 - 3 hours before the game the temperature should be what you want it to be at game time. That way the system is quietly maintaining a temperature - and mostly not working during the game period. That prevents various strong air flows that can impact shooting just enough.
Chief is suspicious that the new ice chilling system may have upset whatever temperature equilibrium balance that existed at XL. Now you have a 30 year old heating system battling a brand new ice chilly system. Who loses? You don’t have to be a genius to figure that out.
I find the beer to be cold.

Reaction Score
Makes one feel like being in coma for the last few years. He's such a good coach, with the strength as a effective player coach. He's playing 8-10 guys and I see no pouting, sad faces or disgruntlement when substituted. He's pushing buttons, making them bust their butts and having them understand playing time is earned. I see no favorites either, although I'm sure he loves having Jalen on his team. He's got Vital, Jalen, Polley, Carlton and Cobb playing much better this year than last. Makes a fan feel sorry for Boatright, Deandre and DHam. Too bad Jalen didn't have him for four years. But enough of the rear view mirror, all that seems so distant now.

Also he's building a machine, one that's very powerful and not reliant on any one part. Although Jalen is the most important piece.

Its becoming obvious that the decision to bring him on is looking to be a program saver for us. And its just the beginning, very beginning. Goes to show, you don't have to have UConn pedigree to know UConn pedigree.

To me, Danny Hurley seems to be able to maintain the right balance between "I'm in charge" and "I'm your friend." The players know that he is demanding, and will not hesitate to correct what he sees as detrimental, both to their play, but also to the team environment, but they also know that he will never not have their backs, and will share in their enthusiasm and youthful celebration. I think this is a rare talent to be able to find and maintain that balance, and it takes a very thoughtful and motivated coach to do so.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Every team has to play these games. If the crowd sucks blame the fan base.

Nope. The fans would rather see a better RPI program. Maybe St Bonaventure or bring in Vermont (they’ll bring some fans of their own). Play someone we just might lose to so the fans have some reason to be there. We play several AAC games that don’t inspire fans, we have to play a tougher OOC than ever before. That includes trading horrible games for top 200 RPI games.

On top of that, the start time on a Wednesday evening was ridiculous. Even if I worked downtown, I’d want to go home before the game to get my family and bring them. This timing guaranteed many people skipping the game or going solo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom