Hurley Comments on Hunter Leaving | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Comments on Hunter Leaving

Reaction Score
Article in Courant this morning says talks were underway to promote Kimani when this happened. Guess Kenya wasn't happy with that (my speculation).
Dude, this is exactly right. Hurley did not have a named associate head coach even though Kenya was to my knowledge holding the largest salary. However, according to that article, after Kimani landed Adama Sanogo talks were underway to promote Kimani Young to the position. Seems fairly obvious that Kenya left to become Archie Miller's associate head coach because of this. I am speculating but still, there it is. It explains the timing too. No promotion here, open spot there, see ya.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

This is life in the fast lane
We all get caught off guard a few times in our lives - you slam your fist and then get on with it
DH would do the same thing for himself and his family if he thought it would be the best move
Sour Grapes is not good in this profession
The Hawkins thing is so common in these situations - of course Hunter made a call to him and I am sure DH was on top of it - if the young man is comfortable with his original decision he won't leave Storrs. DH would do best if he immediately put Hawkins and KFree together.
I don't buy the crap that "Kevin was the 1st person that came to mind" I am sure that KFree doesn't but that either. DH had to say that.
I am elated that KFree is back in Storrs, it's where he belongs
DH has a good staff and a dynamic looking team - let's play ball!!!
He may have thought of KFree first and said to himself is he ready or too bad it wasn’t another year or two down the road? But, KFree certainly has the potential to be a good coach and recruiter. It starts with a great work ethic, unselfish team play and engaging personality.

Reaction Score
The moves DH has made since his departure would suggest to me that Kenya was not at the top of the totem pole.. My speculation only.. Re: JHawk... In business and in CBB..When you are negotiating with a prospective new employer..One of the bargaining chips you're leveraging is your "pipeline"/contacts/Rolodex.. To try to close the deal.. Sometimes the "pipeline" is legit..Sometimes it's fluff.. I believe JHawk knows that he chose the right Program.. All that matters..
If this associate head coach for Kimani was in the works that could have pushed Kenya to make a move, that one seems to make the most sense to me.

Reaction Score
Article in Courant this morning says talks were underway to promote Kimani when this happened. Guess Kenya wasn't happy with that (my speculation).
“We started having conversations about the associate’s title shortly after Adama [Sanogo] committed,” Hurley said, “because that was a big one. Kimani has been awesome. I don’t think he’s ever gotten his due. I sometimes see this lists where coaches vote in conference on top assistants. Kimani’s one of the best in the country. Now as associate head coach, he’s an incredibly well-rounded guy, he’s got the requisite skill set to be an incredibly successful head coach. So if we do what we’re supposed to do on the court, that’ll come for him in the near future.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For the record, I'm not a Dude, but that's ok, Bruh. :)
1599322286579.png

"Whaaat?!"

Reaction Score
Dude, this exactly right. Hurley did not have a named associate head coach even though Kenya was to my knowledge holding the largest salary. However, according to that article, after Kimani landed Adama Sanogo talks were underway to promote Kimani Young to the position. Seems fairly obvious that Kenya left to become Archie Miller's associate head coach because of this. I am speculating but still, there it is. It explains the timing too. No promotion here, open spot there, see ya.

I thought you were kidding about the associate head coach thing since Ostrom already had the title. I didn't realize they made them "Co-Associate Head Coaches." That has to be the fakest I've ever seen. How embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I thought you were kidding about the associate head coach thing since Ostrom already had the title. I didn't realize they made them "Co-Associate Head Coaches." That has to be the fakest # 2 I've ever seen. How embarrassing.
Just caressing his bruised ego

C

Chief00

Is it #chiefcertified that Kenya tried to pull Hawkins?
Nothing Confirmed at this point that I can share. Often it’s more subtle than that. What happens sometimes is the departing assistant will give a courtesy call to inform the recruit he is leaving then see if there’s a window open in the call to steer him away. This case is unusual since it’s a very recent commitment. Hunter made the most money, so it would be natural to think you are number 1. So I suspect the Kimani thing was upsetting to Hunter and if Sanogo started it, Hunter may have thought he countered with Hawkins and did not get the same resulting accolades. When we learn a salary number for IU we will understand it better.
Yet, it can also be all about timing and opportunity to be the # 1 assistant with a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Nothing Confirmed at this point that I can share. Often it’s more subtle than that. What happens sometimes is the departing assistant will give a courtesy call to inform the recruit he is leaving then see if there’s a window open in the call to steer him away. This case is unusual since it’s a very recent commitment. Hunter made the most money, so it would be natural to think you are number 1. So I suspect the Kimani thing was upsetting to Hunter and if Sonago started it, Hunter may have thought he countered with Hawkins and did not get the same resulting accolades. When we learn a salary number for IU we will understand it better.
Yet, it can also be all about timing and opportunity to be the # 1 assistant with a friend.
Wow very casual spelling of Sanogo. Tough to blame that one on auto-correct as well.

C

Chief00

A lesson everyone learns in the business world.... titles are cheap.
So true - they are cheaper than raises. Actually had a boss back in the twenty something happy hour days - who told his staff - they could print up any title they wanted on their business cards to impress the women at happy hour. He didn’t care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom