Hurley Coach's Show 1/20/2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Coach's Show 1/20/2020

Reaction Score
I do think Al will choose to move on and try to play overseas. I can't see how his college career has been fun for him.
  • If a player was injured and would potentially miss about half 1/3 of their senior season, that player could transfer, heal while sitting and practice mid-season with new team and play a full year. Especially if a young player was coming in at that same position.
  • If a player had started since midway freshman year, and was told to expect that an incoming freshman or two would likely get 2/3 of the minutes at their position, they might choose to move on. It is an extra free year of college. So if that player wasn't a pro prospect that could help with their degree or even grad school. Same with a last guy on the bench type player who would likely lose his backup role entirely and be a DNP all year.
potentially 4 more open schollies for 2020, for a total of 6. gimme cliff, a BA type freshmen, a grad transfer and a traditional transfer (preferably immediate waiver but sit-out fine too)

Reaction Score
potentially 4 more open schollies for 2020, for a total of 6. gimme cliff, a BA type freshmen, a grad transfer and a traditional transfer.
We don't need any more B. Adams on the team.

Reaction Score
potentially 4 more open schollies for 2020, for a total of 6. gimme cliff, a BA type freshmen, a grad transfer and a traditional transfer (preferably immediate waiver but sit-out fine too)
Where are you getting 4? I can see 2, but hard to expect more than that.

Reaction Score
We don't need any more B. Adams on the team.

3 star recruits should be qualified enough to fulfill the roles of our 12th and 13th men

Where are you getting 4? I can see 2, but hard to expect more than that.

without naming names huskyhawk hypothesized it's possible any or all of gilbert, polley, carlton and whaley could leave. not saying it's probable just laying it out.

Reaction Score
3 star recruits should be qualified enough to fulfill the roles of our 12th and 13th men

without naming names huskyhawk hypothesized it's possible any or all of gilbert, polley, carlton and whaley could leave. not saying it's probable just laying it out.
I don't know nothin' about nothin', but it seems incredibly unlikely that a team would force out a 3 year starter for a freshman, especially at center. Also, my gut says Polley finishes his college career at UConn, and it less confidently says Gilbert is coming back.

Reaction Score

We just don't really need any more bench players that don't have any plus skills. We have to shed some of those players instead of adding them.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley hit the nail on the head with his comment on lack of playmakers and players that can break down the defense. This is the single biggest problem with the offense right now that trickles down to all other aspects of offense including FG%, assists, quality of 3 pt looks, and even free throws. Only Gilbert and sometimes Vital can do this against high level competition (Hopefully Bouk can grow to be more consistent in this area).

Hurley is well aware that Ollie recruited way too many one dimensional players who can do one thing well, but are not well rounded (i.e. Sid, Polley, etc.). We need a paradigm shift on that front and recruit players that more well rounded. Look at Nova, it seems like all of their players can handle the ball, pass, and shoot at a baseline level that is much higher than most teams. Likewise the Collin Gillespies and Payton Pritchards of the world are a good example that you don't always need to recruit freak athletes everywhere on the court. The high level BB IQ, shooting, ball handling, passing, and court vision they bring to the table really stands out.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I've suspected for a while that, while Hurley didn't want to force guys to transfer when they'd have had to sit out a year, he might have no compunctions about pushing guys who'd had 3 years and gotten a degree to grad transfer to a more appropriate level. Whaley as an example of a guy who won't get much playing time next year with Springs and Javonte joining, if not Cliff as well.

So I suspect the grad transfer market will come into play in both directions.
I had not considered 3 year grads. Interesting...wonder if any current juniors would have that option.

C

Chief00

The no available scholarship chorus doubted Chief00 - it’s going to be an interesting Spring, both in Storrs and out on the Grind. Additions by subtractions are hard but ultimately it’s on how well you evaluated who you brought in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom