Hurley Coach's Show 1/20/2020 | The Boneyard

Hurley Coach's Show 1/20/2020

Reaction Score
Just got through and the one thing that caught my attention was Hurley dropping the "we are gonna be very busy, we are gonna have a much busier March/April...late signing period." Interesting nugget, not sure what to make of that. Alterique could be staying, could be going. Cliff is out there. Otherwise they already have 13 scholarships for next year and I don't think we've heard about any other 2020 guys but obviously grad transfer market doesn't come into play until March as well as fired coaches and getting a late 2020 signee.

Reaction Score
so gilbert's leaving, at the very least

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like he's frustrated with one or two players not going along with the game plan. And bottom line is these guys just gotta make shots.

He's echoed many of the topics we've covered here this week.

Reaction Score
Just got through and the one thing that caught my attention was Hurley dropping the "we are gonna be very busy, we are gonna have a much busier March/April...late signing period." Interesting nugget, not sure what to make of that. Alterique could be staying, could be going. Cliff is out there. Otherwise they already have 13 scholarships for next year and I don't think we've heard about any other 2020 guys but obviously grad transfer market doesn't come into play until March as well as fired coaches and getting a late 2020 signee.

I noticed that as well and he mentioned it right after they discussed how Quinton Grimes was able to receive a waiver for his transfer from Kansas and play immediately. Hurley is very intentional with his language, have to think they are exploring all options for the spring to increase talent regardless of what the scholarship situation is currently. Almost seems like that means a high level grad transfer and late signing recruit.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score

I've suspected for a while that, while Hurley didn't want to force guys to transfer when they'd have had to sit out a year, he might have no compunctions about pushing guys who'd had 3 years and gotten a degree to grad transfer to a more appropriate level. Whaley as an example of a guy who won't get much playing time next year with Springs and Javonte joining, if not Cliff as well.

So I suspect the grad transfer market will come into play in both directions.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A lot of speculation
Encrypted coach language which could mean we don't have the slightest idea until we sit down and talk to everyone
let's wait and see
the moveable returnee parts he has now are AG (his own decision), Whalley, Polley and Sid - maybe Gaffney
Maybe less walk-ons?

Reaction Score
A lot of speculation
Encrypted coach language which could mean we don't have the slightest idea until we sit down and talk to everyone
let's wait and see
the moveable returnee parts he has now are AG (his own decision), Whalley, Polley and Sid - maybe Gaffney
Maybe less walk-ons?

I don’t think him saying “we’re gonna have a much busier March/April and late signing period” is cryptic coach talk. Hurley is transparent and usually pretty direct when he speaks. I think it’s clear what that message/statement says... How exactly it shakes out to get there is uncertain at this time. That being said, Gaffney is not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
No quality grad transfer center is going to come while Josh is still here. Hurley has tried to get grad transfer/juco centers in for the last couple seasons and has been unsuccessful.

Reaction Score
A lot of speculation
let's wait and see
Maybe less walk-ons?
lol. Gaffney, maybe less walk-ons...maybe less posting.

Reaction Score
No quality grad transfer center is going to come while Josh is still here. Hurley has tried to get grad transfer/juco centers in for the last couple seasons and has been unsuccessful.
so this is the hill you want to die on

Reaction Score
Are there any head coaches on the hot seat with former Hurley recruiting prospects?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Does anybody know if these shows are available as podcasts? Would love to download and listen on the ride home.

EDIT: Looks like you have to download the iheart radio app in order to download the show, so that's what I did.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Javonte Brown-Ferguson isn't red-shirting.

His length will change games, I don't know why anyone would think he would redshirt. He'll have to learn on the court.

Reaction Score
College basketball players just don't redshirt unless they are injured or ineligible. It almost never happens. I would stunned if Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirted.

I think DH's veiled reference to April activity would be Sid moving on. Sid is deep in the doghouse. I wouldn't be surprised either way with Gilbert but whatevr he decides I'm rooting for the kid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
College basketball players just don't redshirt unless they are injured or ineligible. It almost never happens. I would stunned if Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirted.

I think DH's veiled reference to April activity would be Sid moving on. Sid is deep in the doghouse. I wouldn't be surprised either way with Gilbert but whatevr he decides I'm rooting for the kid.

I think Sid may have played his way out of the doghouse. I do think Al will choose to move on and try to play overseas. I can't see how his college career has been fun for him.

That said, we can't speculate on particular players. But as I posted before:

• If a player was injured and would potentially miss about half 1/3 of their senior season, that player could transfer, heal while sitting and practice mid-season with new team and play a full year. Especially if a young player was coming in at that same position.
  • If a player had started since midway freshman year, and was told to expect that an incoming freshman or two would likely get 2/3 of the minutes at their position, they might choose to move on. It is an extra free year of college. So if that player wasn't a pro prospect that could help with their degree or even grad school. Same with a last guy on the bench type player who would likely lose his backup role entirely and be a DNP all year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom