Hurley coaching malpractice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley coaching malpractice

Reaction Score
Hurley does a ton of things really really well. I’m not sure that in-game coaching is one of his strengths yet.

Eh he has recruited on awful lot of limited flawed players. For every Bouk there's a rather flawed piece who can't do basic winning stuff like hit a free throw or make a lay up. Hurley is VERY hit and miss right now.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
This a burner?
who else was handling the ball through that press? And yeah gaffney, sure...with 4 fouls, 3 in the first half and at least 2 dribbling mishaps.

try a new trick.
Handling the ball, fine, but putting it in his hands to get to the line? How’s that worked out? Pretty obvious he’s in his own head at that line.

Reaction Score
The problem is we don't have many crunch time players besides Bouk. Maybe Sanogo is, so why he didn't play is beyond me....only guy on the court at the end I trusted was Whaley, everyone else was lost or afraid.

Reaction Score
Handling the ball, fine, but putting it in his hands to get to the line? How’s that worked out? Pretty obvious he’s in his own head at that line.
I mean it was Martin who missed the FTs today. Yeah, sure FTs are a problem overall. But who else is “creating a shot” for themselves.

cole is the only answer, unfortunately.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
I mean it was Martin who missed the FTs today. Yeah, sure FTs are a problem overall. But who else is “creating a shot” for themselves.

cole is the only answer, unfortunately.
Cole went 1/2 in a very clutch moment late in the game. No it wasn’t 0/2 like before but he’s a PG. He HAS to be better at free throws. Wasn’t just Martin.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
St John’s played 5 shooters. 4 guards and 1 SF.

They played 5 out the last 8 minutes of the game, meaning all 5 players outside the three point line.

That’s why you saw no help defense, because all 5 were shooters and had to be guarded at the 3 point line.

Whaley is our fastest recoverer on help D, if he couldn’t get there you think Sanogo could? Imagine Sanogo trying to guard a driver from the 3pt line? If Polley is getting blown by, you think Sanogo won’t?

If you go 2-3 Zone and park Sanogo in the middle youre daring a team shooting 50% from three in the game to make threes.

Obviously there’s an edge on the offensive end, but not nearly enough to warrant playing him. You get touch around the rim but lose a ball handler.

They don't all need to be covered on the 3 point line, and he can always go with a zone, which pretty much shuts down a 5 out unless the team is Villanova.

Reaction Score
What the hell was that? Some of the worst in game coaching you'll see. Sanogo was the best player on both sides of the court. He took him out for what we thought was a 2 minute breather and he never sees the court again. The entire offense was being run through Sanogo. Loss is 100% on coach and that's how you could possibly lose a great young player.

Hurley took him out so that Brendan Adams could continue his obligatory minutes...

Reaction Score
What the hell was that? Some of the worst in game coaching you'll see. Sanogo was the best player on both sides of the court. He took him out for what we thought was a 2 minute breather and he never sees the court again. The entire offense was being run through Sanogo. Loss is 100% on coa. Suckedch and that's how you could possibly lose a great young player.
Did not know game time was switched. Watched last two mins on Hulu phone app. Suckage all the way around.

Reaction Score
Before the season I thought too much depth would be an issue. I legitimately didn’t know how guys were going to get minutes with all the talent we have. Watching that game, I didn’t even know who I wanted to take the last shot that’s how thin we are on offense. I would go Bouk number 1 obviously, but there still isn’t a good second option. Guard play was absolutely atrocious. I am counting the days until we get Rahsool/Hawkins here.

Reaction Score
Anyone have the time and score of the game when he took Sanogo out? Was it with 12:46 left and UConn up 8?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Hurley coaches for defense. St. John’s played us small and spread us out 5 outside the three point line. They used that to their advantage to take us off the dribble with no help inside. That’s why Sanogo can’t be on the floor because as good as he flashed he can’t defend that way on the perimeter. You couldn’t exploit us like that if we had bouk’s scoring.

Hurley’s post time out sets down the stretch (Adams turn down ball screen to find Martin on the skip pass and the draw up for Polley and Martins two man game in the corner) were both effective.

Many of you don’t know what you’re watching.

Reaction Score
I mean Adams played really well today. Made good passes, great D. And no forced shots.

I get your point, but he wasn’t a problem today

He's not the problem sure.... but he's also not the solution. He is a space filler. We need contributors on the court even if they struggle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone have the time and score of the game when he took Sanogo out? Was it with 12:46 left and UConn up 8?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-161018.png
    Screenshot_20210118-161018.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 136
Reaction Score
Going into this game Hurley had us 7-1 ranked 23rd in the nation while winning the last four games without his lottery pick and you all are this miserable. It happens, conference play isn’t a walk in the park. We have posters referencing Kevin freaking Ollie. Sometimes we don’t deserve the success we get. Cut these guys some slack. What they’ve been doing without Bouk has been nothing short of spectacular. They deserve a pass for this one. Stop the whining and overreacting, move on and get behind these guys who have have a nothing but happy moments so far this year. Get a grip

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
That corner 3 he drew up to get Martin open was pretty nice tho. At the end of the day we didn’t make our free throws when it counted. Not much coach could do about that. I’m thinking coach wanted his better free throw shooters on the floor because St. John’s was fouling us so much. And he wanted better ball handlers on the floor because of the pressure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom