Hurley at Middlesex County Chambers breakfast quotes | The Boneyard

Hurley at Middlesex County Chambers breakfast quotes

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One of the things I'm most excited for on Monday is to see if all of this smoke about Samson Johnson is warranted or if Hurley is just trying to pump him up. I've heard nothing but praise about him from practices and workouts and yet every time I've seen him it's been underwhelming. I get that the scrimmage was more like a pickup game than anything else, but he didn't really do much of anything there. Hoping to see an impact from him on Monday.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Who is wearing flannel to the game?

The standard UConn outfits by age bracket. This at min covers 90% of the crowd every game:

Olds: jeans or khakis, UConn mock neck sweatshirt, or 37 year old windbreaker pullover

30/40s: exclusively Jeans, UConn hoody (gray or blue) and 7 beers deep before tip

Student/20s: see 30/40s with the caveat being the kid that discovered the gym 4 months ago so wears the hoop uni w no undershirt.

Reaction Score
I always wear blue or white. The fact that someone finally said you should do it is great. If you want the fans to do something tell them.

I was a big Whaler fan but I don't wear my Whaler jersey to UConn games. Nebraska fans figured out they should wear red back in the 1960s, glad we're catching up.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
One of the things I'm most excited for on Monday is to see if all of this smoke about Samson Johnson is warranted or if Hurley is just trying to pump him up. I've heard nothing but praise about him from practices and workouts and yet every time I've seen him it's been underwhelming. I get that the scrimmage was more like a pickup game than anything else, but he didn't really do much of anything there. Hoping to see an impact from him on Monday.
Same. It can't be overstated that I am 100% rooting for him. What I am hoping to see, which will be different from the past, is that he doesn't look in no man's land defensively. He's gifted with enough tools that we'll be able to take advantage of so long as he is not a liability on defense.

This is going to be crucially important because Clingan's growth this year is going to be about staying on the floor. At 7' 2" (3"?) he get's a tough whistle sometimes when he's just holding his position straight up. Late in the year last year he was roofing and getting whistled for it. There are going to be a lot of games this year, particularly early, where we go to Samson for 10 first half minutes and the defense cannot crater when he comes in or we'll be performing at a level below the collective expectations for this team.

It has to be bullet #1 for Danny and staff before any other development opportunities are discussed.

Reaction Score

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting to see it on the court, and hoping we do. Backup 4/5 is a potential weak spot without a solid performance from him.

Don't even care about the offense. Just defend, defend, defend. With his athleticism and height, he should be causing mayhem blitzing screens.

Reaction Score
Who is wearing flannel to the game?

The standard UConn outfits by age bracket. This at min covers 90% of the crowd every game:

Olds: jeans or khakis, UConn mock neck sweatshirt, or 37 year old windbreaker pullover

30/40s: exclusively Jeans, UConn hoody (gray or blue) and 7 beers deep before tip

Student/20s: see 30/40s with the caveat being the kid that discovered the gym 4 months ago so wears the hoop uni w no undershirt.
The crowds at gampel excluding the students where everything but school colors LOL

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting to see it on the court, and hoping we do. Backup 4/5 is a potential weak spot without a solid performance from him.

Don't even care about the offense. Just defend, defend, defend. With his athleticism and height, he should be causing mayhem blitzing screens.
He should be the elusive NBA-style big that can defend at the level of the screen, blitz, switch, or drop. He's got the natural ability and attributes. It will be big for us if we can have that blitzing center vs. drop center (Clingan) combo that seemed to really throw teams off their game last season. It's like switching to a zone from man to man in the way that it can disrupt the rhythm of an opponent, but we don't have to practice full other defenses. We need to be able to keep opposing offenses guessing.

But the exciting thing is that he's been impressive in 4 scrimmages and the private open practice earlier this year. He also led the bench in scoring overseas. I think he might be pretty good.

Reaction Score
He should be the elusive NBA-style big that can defend at the level of the screen, blitz, switch, or drop. He's got the natural ability and attributes. It will be big for us if we can have that blitzing center vs. drop center (Clingan) combo that seemed to really throw teams off their game last season. It's like switching to a zone from man to man in the way that it can disrupt the rhythm of an opponent, but we don't have to practice full other defenses. We need to be able to keep opposing offenses guessing.

But the exciting thing is that he's been impressive in 4 scrimmages and the private open practice earlier this year. He also led the bench in scoring overseas. I think he might be pretty good.

After 3 years of practice, I gotta think he can defend. If Hurley can't max your defensive potential, I'm not sure if anyone could.

Reaction Score
After 3 years of practice, I gotta think he can defend. If Hurley can't max your defensive potential, I'm not sure if anyone could.

I would think that if Hurley & Co. weren't happy with his progress and ability to play D, that they would have politely encouraged him to hit the transfer portal at the end-of-year meetings in Spring 2023. The fact that he is still here is a great sign.

I also would have liked to see him just flat-out dominate at the open practice, but he didn't look mediocre. Lob to start the game was gorgeous. He grabbed an Oreb on a missed Castle 3, made some good post moves in traffic to fight to get sqaured to the hoop and finished. Was quick and seemed to not get lost on D.

I'll continue to trust Hurley on this for now.

Reaction Score
I also would have liked to see him just flat-out dominate at the open practice, but he didn't look mediocre. Lob to start the game was gorgeous. He grabbed an Oreb on a missed Castle 3, made some good post moves in traffic to fight to get sqaured to the hoop and finished. Was quick and seemed to not get lost on D.
I thought he only scored the lob and 1 other basket for 4 pts. Did he have more?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom