Hurley Appreciation Thread | The Boneyard

Hurley Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m sure this is going to age wellBUT I have to say that I really appreciate the direction that Hurley is taking the program. If you just look at the progress he has made, establishing his culture, overcoming injuries, recruiting, building a better team while losing key players each year, I’m really happy that UCONN hired him. This thread could be merged into a thousand different threads but for him to bring the program back to relevance and have it excel I couldn’t be happier. This is not a defeatist attitude because honestly comparing him to a hall of fame coach is pretty unrealistic to begin with and he has to bring UCONN back to the top his way. He’s doing so in a vastly different time and is doing so progressively and not rapidly. I feel like long term this will result in a stable program with prolonged success. Eventually if you keep pounding on the door you are going to break thru. Thank you coach.

Reaction Score
I’m sure this is going to age wellBUT I have to say that I really appreciate the direction that Hurley is taking the program. If you just look at the progress he has made, establishing his culture, overcoming injuries, recruiting, building a better team while losing key players each year, I’m really happy that UCONN hired him. This thread could be merged into a thousand different threads but for him to bring the program back to relevance and have it excel I couldn’t be happier. This is not a defeatist attitude because honestly comparing him to a hall of fame coach is pretty unrealistic to begin with and he has to bring UCONN back to the top his way. He’s doing so in a vastly different time and is doing so progressively and not rapidly. I feel like long term this will result in a stable program with prolonged success. Eventually if you keep pounding on the door you are going to break thru. Thank you coach.
LOL. I agree with everything you said. But man, I would have waited until we beat Iona to paint a target on my back like this, but that's just me.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm all in with Hurley. We're better every year, we gelled nicely this year, players are improving and his recruiting keeps raising the bar

No doubt we're back in the national discussion

Vegas knows too, and they're the best in the business

Reaction Score
Not since the '14 season have we had so much fun watching a uconn team. No matter what comparisons people make to last year's team, this team is way better. Last year's team, although a great improvement over the year before, was never really a national story. They never had the convincing beat down wins that this team had. It's a HUGE improvement. Whatever happens in the tourney can't change that: good or bad. I'm on board with Hurley for a long time.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this over the weekend. When factoring in recruiting, culture, personality/tenacity, age, and everything else, I honestly can’t think of another coach I would trade him for. There are maybe two or three I’d consider - but it’s a very short list. And I’ll probably still say that even if we lose on Friday.

Reaction Score
Listen, outside of the championship season in 2014, our time in the AAC was a low point in my fandom.

While the wins weren't there right away, I saw the Hurley difference: attacking the offensive boards, elite perimeter D, tenacity across the board, the way kids would run through a brick wall for him (and he'd do the same).

We need to get out of this one-and-done funk, but we've objectively been better in each of his five seasons, so right now, in this moment, I am thankful for what he has done for the program and I believe in him and his staff and most importantly, the players he has recruited.

Reaction Score
And he's bringing in a top 5 recruiting class that will keep us nationally relevant for years to come

He HAS to win at least 1-2 games this tournament. I'm confident he will. But I agree with everything you said, we're been building up water for a long time and the dam has to burst soon

Reaction Score
One other thing that is not talked about enough - he continues to get better and develop at coaching each year.

It’s like recruiting a really good 4 star player who gets better each year and eventually delivers the goods. People mention this is year 5 - it’s really year 1 with entirely his team.

I’m optimistic we’ll beat Iona - but if we don’t - that doesn’t make his seat warm. Fans need to have a bit more patience. Look at many greats that have stayed with their clubs for a long time - it took many of them years to have post season success.

If we make it to s16 and beyond - great. Then maybe we struggle next year due to turnover and freshmen - that’s normal year over year variance.

As long as he continues to recruit at a high level, get his kids to play hard, and develops his coaching a bit more every year - we’re in great shape. It’s only a matter of time where final 4s are expected regularly.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
One other thing that is not talked about enough - he continues to get better and develop at coaching each year.

It’s like recruiting a really good 4 star player who gets better each year and eventually delivers the goods. People mention this is year 5 - it’s really year 1 with entirely his team.

I’m optimistic we’ll beat Iona - but if we don’t - that doesn’t make his seat warm. Fans need to have a bit more patience. Look at many greats that have stayed with their clubs for a long time - it took many of them years to have post season success.

If we make it to s16 and beyond - great. Then maybe we struggle next year due to turnover and freshmen - that’s normal year over year variance.

As long as he continues to recruit at a high level, get his kids to play hard, and develops his coaching a bit more every year - we’re in great shape. It’s only a matter of time where final 4s are expected regularly.
His seat is going to be piping hot going into next year if we lose Friday. 0 tournament wins in five years with three first round exits does not inspire confidence. We need to get to the Sweet 16 minimum. No more excuses.

Reaction Score
His seat is going to be piping hot going into next year if we lose Friday. 0 tournament wins in five years with three first round exits does not inspire confidence. We need to get to the Sweet 16 minimum. No more excuses.
The maryland loss was forgivable. They were the better team, especially stylistically. The NMSU game was an albatross. If he loses Friday to a MAAC team, I don't know what the AD does. There will be a lot of damage control. DH isn't going anywhere, but there will be a spectre over the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV+

pj

Reaction Score
Hurley's done a great job, and I'd put him in the top 3-5% of coaches nationally. He's been patiently program-building and putting all the foundation stones in place. At some point he needs to deliver the NCAA tourney performance. But you can see the steady progress. Every year has been an improvement, and in a business with player turnover every few years, that's not easy.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this over the weekend. When factoring in recruiting, culture, personality/tenacity, age, and everything else, I honestly can’t think of another coach I would trade him for. There are maybe two or three I’d consider - but it’s a very short list. And I’ll probably still say that even if we lose on Friday.
I am a realist but let’s think positively and look for us to take Iona out of the tournament ok ok they are coached by a well known and effective coach but why throw in the towel it is only Monday.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is he retiring?
Worry not.
Act now and beat him to it.

Who'd be heating the seat?
How can this be your focus?
Is that what you're wishing for?
What's your excuse to post that?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Worry not.
Act now and beat him to it.

Who'd be heating the seat?
How can this be your focus?
Is that what you're wishing for?
What's your excuse to post that?
I want to win a national championship but he chokes in March. When you don't trust and have faith in the leader in key moments, the kingdom falls.

Reaction Score
As someone who criticizes Hurley regularly, I will agree he’s maturing and so is the team. We were what 8-2 to finish up. And some of the things I criticized him for mid-season like not using subs effecitively, he made adjustments and now Diarra, Joey C and others making more of an impact on game. And we NEED to have them impact games in the tourney.

Dan has calmed down just a bit on the slideline and seems to be making some good in game adjustments.

Achille’s heel are close games.

Dan must cross this last bridge and chalk up at least 2 wins in the this tourney to say the ship has been properly righted in my book. We lose in 1st round and it’s not BE reg season title (4th) , no BE championship, no tourney wins.

So alot riding on this tourney for Dan but that’s why he make upwards of 2 million - comes with territory after almost years as coach.

Reaction Score
I know that with the transfer portal it seems like you should be able to have instant success but personally I feel like doing things methodically and thru get effort actually makes you appreciate the struggle and makes you less likely to take it for granted and cut corners. Just seeing what’s going on at Georgetown and St. John’s makes me very appreciative of what Hurley is doing in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping playing the national field will really help us. We steamrolled out of conference and for whatever reasons the Big East grinded us down and we didn't always look our best. A lot of it seemed to be ref related where other teams were given the benefit when they clutched and grabbed and we were often called for ticky tack stuff. I don't typically like excuses but the reffing was just different in conference play.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping playing the national field will really help us. We steamrolled out of conference and for whatever reasons the Big East grinded us down and we didn't always look our best. A lot of it seemed to be ref related where other teams were given the benefit when they clutched and grabbed and we were often called for ticky tack stuff. I don't typically like excuses but the reffing was just different in conference play.
I’m expecting this is the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01