Hurley Apologistas | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley Apologistas

Reaction Score
This is the fair take. The "fire Hurley" crown and "nothing is wrong" crowd are equally insufferable. No one with half a brain cell wants the guy fired yet, and it's idiotic to think he doesn't have problems right now.

Jackson isn't the answer--Rese may be.

We didn't have an offensive identity with Bouk either--or with Sanogo in the game. One player isn't an identity. Great teams--even on nights they look terrible shooting the ball--still have movement, flow, and chemistry on the court. We have none of that. I am not exaggerating when I say plenty of HS JV coaches have a better motion offense to rely on when plays break down than us.
Could not agree more. Movement, flow and chemistry are developed in practice, then executed during the game. If there are no primary, secondary or tertiary plays to rely on during games, it is because there are none being drilled in practice.

With only three basic plays, each with three alternative options...............that's nine different avenues to score. Each player, regardless of position, should know everybody else's role, so that WITHOUT thinking, he anticipates the pass, cut, pick, positioning, etc. That is to be achieved by drilling it over and over and over again in practice., until it becomes second nature to everyone.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more. Movement, flow and chemistry are developed in practice, then executed during the game. If there are no primary, secondary or tertiary plays to rely on during games, it is because there are none being drilled in practice.

With only three basic plays, each with three alternative options...............that's nine different avenues to score. Each player, regardless of position, should know everybody else's role, so that WITHOUT thinking, he anticipates the pass, cut, pick, positioning, etc. That is to be achieved by drilling it over and over and over again in practice., until it becomes second nature to everyone.
Post/avatar

Reaction Score
To this point, Danny was better at Rhode Island.

At Rhody, Hurley got scrappier players with chips on their shoulder, who responded better to his emotional appeals.

Dan Hurley is not a coach who you beat with Xs & Os as much as he relies on motivating and recruiting relative to his competition. He can't motivate players to shoot better. "Bad shooting" was a sacrifice he made in the recruiting process, to secure the higher caliber athlete.

Some coaches are better for certain levels.

Shaka Smart was better at VCU for the same reason. The Texas players didn't have the mindset for Havoc. He was out of his element. Now Marquette is similar to a VCU.

It works both ways. Some coaches are more capable at a higher level and crash at the low levels.

Reaction Score
Not defending nor excusing coach H but I remember in the earlier years of Calhoun people b1tched how he ranted more than coached. Of those were the days when the internet was a baby so the bitching was on sports talk shows and on cave walls. Even after the Dream Season the nay sayers ran their mouths. It is obvious that adjustments are needed. As Joe D used to say early in the broadcasts of games—— “this is only the start of things”…….I say let’s take a reading in week 2 in January before we bring the guilitine to Gampel Pavilion and break down the doors demand that Hurley be turned over to a mob of crazed fans.
I understand your point but the things we are seeing with DH are things that have been going on since he got here. How difficult for instance is it to see that the other team simply cant keep guys from attacking the basket and youve had success on 5 straight possessions doing so and suddenly you go away from it? How can you constantly not come up with an end clock play that gets a decent look? Why continue to play a guy who is struggling and hurting the team? These are things that can and should be adjusted and we are seeing the same things.

Reaction Score
I understand your point but the things we are seeing with DH are things that have been going on since he got here. How difficult for instance is it to see that the other team simply cant keep guys from attacking the basket and youve had success on 5 straight possessions doing so and suddenly you go away from it? How can you constantly not come up with an end clock play that gets a decent look? Why continue to play a guy who is struggling and hurting the team? These are things that can and should be adjusted and we are seeing the same things.

I will say that our out-of-timeout plays have actually looked decent. The 3 that Hawkins got (and missed) was fantastic.

Not calling a TO in our last 2 possessions was inexcusable, however.

Reaction Score
one thing that has kind of bothered me are when he seems to get way to hyped up when we are mounting comebacks. Obviously I love the energy but he needs to maintain better composure mid game, can't get too high or too low.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will say that our out-of-timeout plays have actually looked decent. The 3 that Hawkins got (and missed) was fantastic.
I was thinking last night that that play was symbolic of the game itself: everything was set up perfectly and we were ready to take the next step and get over the hump--then clank!

Unfortunately, neither he nor we seem to be ready for the big moment. Yet.

Soon, though. Soon. At least I hope so. For both.

In the meantime, chop wood, carry water...

Reaction Score
Btw, I still think Hurley is the right hire. Just think people are being awful when we lose because they are impatient and we are not there yet.
I disagree strongly ! His coaching is not up to Uconn level !

Reaction Score

Not calling a TO in our last 2 possessions was inexcusable, however.
Danny has some excellent one hitter type plays. We’ve seen that over the years, he can really scheme up a nice set. The offense as a whole is troubling however. A lot of the missed shots are because they aren’t getting great looks. It’s just hard to win games consistently trying to play to a style where you’re winning games in the high 50s-mid 60s. Sometimes it feels like he is trying so hard to manage the games he is almost over coaching.

I think they just need to try and push the pace more and take advantage of as many transition points as they can. It will lead to some sloppiness but their struggles in the half court are well documented as this point. Cooley seemed focused on not allowing that happen as other teams will prolly follow suit as well. And if anyone wants to see what an offensive identity looks like, go watch Iowa or Gonzaga. Iowa doesn’t win much in tournament because they defense is normally bad but they kill teams with spacing, passing, and shot selection. Fran runs some beautiful offense, breath of fresh air when I watch it after watching UConn.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
1. I said arguably
2. Your just wrong in my opinion. What Calhoun built, none of them can come close. Maybe dean smith, or K. Thats it in my opinion.
Hold on a minute. No one is expecting a reincarnation of Jim Calhoun. He is being referenced simply as a coach who the fan base is familiar with. He had game plans including offensive sets. When he had depth he ran and pressed a lot. What EVERYONE is upset about is Hurley's lack of meaningful offensive game plans and in game adjustments. It's hard to believe that his staff isn't capable of helping him out with this if he asked for help. It seems that he just makes his mind up and is highly resistant to changing it. No one is asking DH to build a dynasty. His recruiting is doing fine but many think that if he doesn't start making changes the recruiting success will dry up. I think those are legitimate concerns and so do many others.

Reaction Score
I’m just curious how many of the people who want Hurley’s head now were the ones claiming we were headed to the final four before we went to Atlantis.

People need to get out of their feelings and act like they’ve watched the ups and downs of college basketball before.
Why do u think people want Hurley’s head because they are questioning his in game coaching? Isn’t this fair game on a fan site? Should we just act like he’s the second coming of Naismith because he’s a good recruiter and professional with running the program? If he’s making me scream at the tv with his in game decisions then folks far more knowledgeable than me must be really upset.

Reaction Score
Hold on a minute. No one is expecting a reincarnation of Jim Calhoun. He is being referenced simply as a coach who the fan base is familiar with. He had game plans including offensive sets. When he had depth he ran and pressed a lot. What EVERYONE is upset about is Hurley's lack of meaningful offensive game plans and in game adjustments. It's hard to believe that his staff isn't capable of helping him out with this if he asked for help. It seems that he just makes his mind up and is highly resistant to changing it. No one is asking DH to build a dynasty. His recruiting is doing fine but many think that if he doesn't start making changes the recruiting success will dry up. I think those are legitimate concerns and so do many others.
That's a perfectly reasonable take, but there's been a lot of posts on the opposite end of what you're saying. Even just in this thread multiple times people have said Hurley is in year 4, when Jim Calhoun was in year 4 he'd already done X, Y, and Z.

Every person on this board would agree Hurley has a ton to improve upon. I just think comparing him to Calhoun sets wildly unrealistic expectations and is how you end up with threads about moving on from Hurley after every loss, which seems incredibly premature

Reaction Score
That's a perfectly reasonable take, but there's been a lot of posts on the opposite end of what you're saying. Even just in this thread multiple times people have said Hurley is in year 4, when Jim Calhoun was in year 4 he'd already done X, Y, and Z.

Every person on this board would agree Hurley has a ton to improve upon. I just think comparing him to Calhoun sets wildly unrealistic expectations and is how you end up with threads about moving on from Hurley after every loss, which seems incredibly premature
Nothing worse than going off half-cocked with talk of premature ejection.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This is a great post, the last 10 minutes was where Calhoun teams dominated. There and by routinely getting to the line a lot, and often times making even more free throws than the opponent attempted
Not exactly how I remember it. I recall many a game where we built a comfortable lead by dominating the opponent, only to have the lead dissipate by taking the air out of the ball. I'd flip it and say I felt they dominated the first 30 minutes more than the last 10.
Calhoun teams generally did hit their free throws.

Reaction Score
Agree that adjustments are needed. Does he realize it or is he unsure what adjustments to make!

Reaction Score
No, it was feed Sanogo. Period. The complaint then was that he was a black hole and never kicked the ball back out, even if double or triple teamed.
It wasn't just the complaint, it was reality. I hope sitting a handful of games will give him a fresh outlook when he returns.

Reaction Score
If Hawkins and Polley make their three's- Uconn wins. If they dont-Uconn loses close games over and over.
LOL. Absolutely correct, but that's not coaching. That's the truth about this year's team. If Hawkins or Polley won't make threes, and more so with Sanogo out, we're not good enough offensively to beat ranked teams. That has zero to do with coaching, unless you think are recruiting should be further along at this stage of his rebuild than it is.

Reaction Score
LOL. Absolutely correct, but that's not coaching. That's the truth about this year's team. If Hawkins or Polley won't make threes, and more so with Sanogo out, we're not good enough offensively to beat ranked teams. That has zero to do with coaching, unless you think are recruiting should be further along at this stage of his rebuild than it is.
Or when you don't have your best halfcourt scorer and the guy you run your offense through in the halfcourt you push pace because you have superior athletes to the other team and that's how you get easy buckets. Or we could keep jogging the ball up court dribbling and passing it around outside the line and hoisting 29 threes because we're clearly a great three point shooting team.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's strange how when we win coaching is never brought up as another obstacle the team had to overcome. The coaching is great until we lose. I'm impressed the team was able to overcome their terrible coach and Auburn earlier this year. These players must be really talented.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom