Hurley adjustment | The Boneyard

Hurley adjustment

Reaction Score
Lewis was busy abusing Whaley last night and I was busy wondering if they would double him in the low block. Finally with about 5 minutes left Hurley called time out and from then on out we doubled him to perfection. The rest of the game I don't think he scored and the game was ours. What the heck took so long to double him? And I defend DH always but this delay had me scratching my head.

Reaction Score
Hurley made the adjustment but you’re not happy he didn’t adjust soon enough? Come on
Yeah. An 11 point lead became a one point lead. You weren’t nervous?

Reaction Score
DH should have called that timeout with about 8:31 remaining (that's when I started yelling at my TV to call it). Instead he waited for the under 8 timeout which didn't come until the 5 minute mark. With a tired team that was getting bullied he had about 5 chances to call timeout and didn't.

He also doesn't use the first half use it or lose it timeout to stop momentum. He waits until there's under a minute to use it to draw up a Polley 28 foot three attempt.

I know some coaches believe using timeouts is a sign of weakness, not sure where DH stands on that. I think a sign of weakness is consistently giving up leads, and in this case, getting absolutely bullied. Momentum is so important in these games and you should do whatever you can to keep it on your side.

CV1

Reaction Score
Lewis was busy abusing Whaley last night and I was busy wondering if they would double him in the low block. Finally with about 5 minutes left Hurley called time out and from then on out we doubled him to perfection. The rest of the game I don't think he scored and the game was ours. What the heck took so long to double him? And I defend DH always but this delay had me scratching my head.
I thought the same thing and always defend Hurley. Just more curious than anything why it took so long. Seemed to me that if we shut down Lewis, we were winning that game. Easier said than done. That Marquette team passes and cuts so well. They played so many freshman last night too. Bet in a year Shaka will have himself a really tough team to beat

Reaction Score
It was painful to see a 5 year player get bullied by a freshman. A teammate should have told Whaley to hit back and punish the young bull, but of course Whaley didn't. His reluctance to shoot just added to the miserable sequences.

Whaley should never, ever allow that to happen to him by a freshman. I just can not see Jake, Kirk King, Jeff Adrien, Rod Sellers or our other Seniors allowing a freshman to abuse them like that. I would have rather seen Whaley try and take him out, push back, or even bully him back, than get punked like that. That stupid foul call just amplified what he was going through.

Just was not a good look for our 5th year senior. Hope staff or teammates get in his ear.

Reaction Score
Yeah. An 11 point lead became a one point lead. You weren’t nervous?
The 11 point lead didn’t become a 1 point lead due to Lewis. It became a 1 point lead because Adama had two turnovers on 2 possessions which lead to the start of their momentum.

Reaction Score
Thank you for helping me realize I'm not crazy. This board is so stupid sometimes.
To be fair, FS1 listed him as a freshman during the game and Marquette does say he's a RS Freshman on their website. But they just took a year off everyone's class because of Covid, which is really weird since all these guys they list as freshman have actually played a full year already

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing and always defend Hurley. Just more curious than anything why it took so long. Seemed to me that if we shut down Lewis, we were winning that game. Easier said than done. That Marquette team passes and cuts so well. They played so many freshman last night too. Bet in a year Shaka will have himself a really tough team to beat
Are coaches allowed to give freshmen extensive minutes?

Reaction Score
DH should have called that timeout with about 8:31 remaining (that's when I started yelling at my TV to call it). Instead he waited for the under 8 timeout which didn't come until the 5 minute mark. With a tired team that was getting bullied he had about 5 chances to call timeout and didn't.

He also doesn't use the first half use it or lose it timeout to stop momentum. He waits until there's under a minute to use it to draw up a Polley 28 foot three attempt.

I know some coaches believe using timeouts is a sign of weakness, not sure where DH stands on that. I think a sign of weakness is consistently giving up leads, and in this case, getting absolutely bullied. Momentum is so important in these games and you should do whatever you can to keep it on your side.
In the Villanova game vs Xavier, Xavier had a 10 point lead at half time. I believe Villanova won by 10. A 20 point swing. Does that make Steele a bad coach?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Current analytics dramatically underweight the value of post touches, and as a result, defenses do not always adjust to a post threat. Modern defenses focus too much on 3 point shooters and not enough on interior help.

The offensive player generally has the advantage once they get the ball within 5 feet of the basket. Defending a good player like Lewis 1-on-1 in the post is a tough assignment for any player.

Reaction Score
You are correct. Deny him the ball in the post. The guards can help by making the entry pass difficult to make.

Reaction Score
To be fair, FS1 listed him as a freshman during the game and Marquette does say he's a RS Freshman on their website. But they just took a year off everyone's class because of Covid, which is really weird since all these guys they list as freshman have actually played a full year already
Thought it was odd they’d start 4 freshmen. Makes more sense that they weren’t.

Reaction Score
This backing down problem isn't the first time we've seen this. Collin at VIL does this all the time with great success. It does seem to take our coaching staff a long time to adjust by doubling or preventing the pass. When Ako doubled, we stole the ball several times and stopped this from happening.
Strange that we have doubled coverage making our post sprint to the top of the key swinging over a smaller player like Cole to cover a down low big until our big can get back. It doesn't seem like that is effective much except to expose us near the hoop.
In any case there was good growth with many adjustments and a quality win against a well coached team.

Reaction Score
I get more and more amazed at what players get away with on offense in paint. They are allowed to just bulldoze their way in and bang defenders out of the way. Very hard for anybody to defend that if you aren't allowed to push back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom