Hugely disappointing loss but signs of better days | The Boneyard

Hugely disappointing loss but signs of better days

Reaction Score
Tyler P. going down killed the day for me, they were going to win fairly easily with him but they showed a lot of fight. They still have no clue how to make the winning plays but it's to be expected...their former coach was terrible, they haven't won, and all their best players on offense are freshmen. Getting kicked out of the game and the boneheaded personal foul penalties are unacceptable, that's what loses games. Tyler, Brewton, Carter, Marion, and Clercius are all good players, those freshmen plus Jones are the best players. That's a good selling point and the new coach and staff will have talent to work with.

Reaction Score
That's a good selling point and the new coach and staff will have talent to work with.

The head coaching job is definitely much more desirable than it was a couple weeks ago. We'll get some good people interviewing. Hopefully the people doing the hiring can discern the good prospects from the bad this time around.

On another note our current head coach is better than Vanderbilt's. Vanderbilt's coach looked lost and frightened the whole game, no energy at all. Another dud DC from Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The head coaching job is definitely much more desirable than it was a couple weeks ago. We'll get some good people interviewing. Hopefully the people doing the hiring can discern the good prospects from the bad this time around.

On another note our current head coach is better than Vanderbilt's. Vanderbilt's coach looked lost and frightened the whole game, no energy at all. Another dud DC from Notre Dame.
Not the same level dud:
-no red pants
-no choking on late game play calling
-no running up and down the sideline waving his arms
-no hair
-no special trophy

Reaction Score
Just a couple dropped passes, a bone headed personal foul that seemed to have zero video evidence of and the refs absolutely hosing UConn all night.

Seriously though this team has shown a lot of fight since Army. The second half of this game shows Mazzone knows what he has and can put the players in a position to succeed. Something g we haven't seen here since Moorhead.

Reaction Score
Just a couple dropped passes, a bone headed personal foul that seemed to have zero video evidence of and the refs absolutely hosing UConn all night.

Seriously though this team has shown a lot of fight since Army. The second half of this game shows Mazzone knows what he has and can put the players in a position to succeed. Something g we haven't seen here since Moorhead.
If we hire a new coach, I hope they can keep Mazzone as the new OC. Don't want to ever see Edsall offense ever again at Uconn.

Reaction Score
I wonder if DB will hire Spanos and Mazzone. Then rebuild the rest of the staff. I'm ready to see who it will be, but I'm worried about the recruits.

Hope we can tell the recruits, yes,a new coach, however come up and be the future of the NEW UCONN BRAND, a winning football tradition!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well he was concussed from that head butt so.,.

Reaction Score
Tyler P. going down killed the day for me, they were going to win fairly easily with him but they showed a lot of fight. They still have no clue how to make the winning plays but it's to be expected...their former coach was terrible, they haven't won, and all their best players on offense are freshmen. Getting kicked out of the game and the boneheaded personal foul penalties are unacceptable, that's what loses games. Tyler, Brewton, Carter, Marion, and Clercius are all good players, those freshmen plus Jones are the best players. That's a good selling point and the new coach and staff will have talent to work with.
100% spot on.

Reaction Score

Thinking same thing. They didn’t show play, just a slight mention by commentators. Like it was the hand of P5 god making UConn do something dumb.

Could easily get sucked into conspiracy…..

Just trying rationalize by thinking team just needs to learn how to win.

Reaction Score
I wonder if DB will hire Spanos and Mazzone. Then rebuild the rest of the staff. I'm ready to see who it will be, but I'm worried about the recruits.

Hope we can tell the recruits, yes,a new coach, however come up and be the future of the NEW UCONN BRAND, a winning football tradition!!
Seeing DB on the sidelines standing with the team last night shows right there with them. Players need to know that.

Reaction Score
There are so many kids showing talent. Quay Evans and Clercius showed out yesterday. Right now this team just doesn't have a clue how to win. But its coming. We need some depth at cornerback bad. Lucien and Bell were light years ahead of the backups.

I repeat, any potential hire that talks about "recruiting his guys and rebuild" should be immediately crossed off the list. Everyone is going "to recruit their guys", because recruiting NEVER stops. So the objective has to be win on day 1. Whether that means win 1 game, 3 games, or 10 games.

Reaction Score
There are so many kids showing talent. Quay Evans and Clercius showed out yesterday. Right now this team just doesn't have a clue how to win. But its coming. We need some depth at cornerback bad. Lucien and Bell were light years ahead of the backups.

I repeat, any potential hire that talks about "recruiting his guys and rebuild" should be immediately crossed off the list. Everyone is going "to recruit their guys", because recruiting NEVER stops. So the objective has to be win on day 1. Whether that means win 1 game, 3 games, or 10 games.
Totally agree. There are talent on this team. The young freshmen and sophomores are way more talented than most of our upper classmen. There is a nucleus a new coach can work with to win immediately.

Any coach that wants to show up and take 3 to 4 years of free paycheck like Edsall just did need not apply. As we are seeing with Mazzone, coaching matters since his offense is way better than Edsall's in just few short weeks. We need to groom Tyler Phommachanh and continue to recruit QB's like him to build around. There is no doubt in my mind we would have won with Tyler Phommachanh playing. It was such a horrible sinking feeling when he went down.

We just need to learn how to win, and the new coach can do with this young group.

Reaction Score

-> UConn: This spot on the Misery Index was reserved for the loser of the UConn-Vandy game, a rare non-conference treat between two of the worst FBS programs of the modern era. Though Vanderbilt certainly tried to give this one away, allowing UConn to score a go-ahead touchdown with 1:07 remaining after a fourth-and-18 conversion, the Commodores marched down the field to kick a 31-yard field goal as time expired for a 30-28 win. The Huskies, who are now 0-6, have improved a lot since losing by double-digits to Holy Cross back on Sept. 4 — just not enough to actually close the deal. <-

Reaction Score
The problem is, are better days ahead? This program is just terrible at scheduling. I was looking at the 2022 schedule and I just see losses all over the place. I am glad we are showing some progress but geez we are just so bad at this. How do you throw At Michigan, at NC STate, at Army, Fresno State, BC, Cuse, open in Utah State, at this team. Even Liberty and at Ball State are tricky. All I could think looking at it is I wish we had the 2021 schedule next year. I feel like we never put together a schedule for success. The down years we miss opportunities against beatable teams because we aren't good enough (Holy Cross, Wyoming, Vandy) and than a promising year we have a much tougher schedule (2022). It's like it's never set up to win. We also catch a lot of teams at their historical highs (Fresno).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem is, are better days ahead? This program is just terrible at scheduling. I was looking at the 2022 schedule and I just see losses all over the place. I am glad we are showing some progress but geez we are just so bad at this. How do you throw At Michigan, at NC STate, at Army, Fresno State, BC, Cuse, open in Utah State, at this team. Even Liberty and at Ball State are tricky. All I could think looking at it is I wish we had the 2021 schedule next year. I feel like we never put together a schedule for success. The down years we miss opportunities against beatable teams because we aren't good enough (Holy Cross, Wyoming, Vandy) and than a promising year we have a much tougher schedule (2022). It's like it's never set up to win. We also catch a lot of teams at their historical highs (Fresno).
That's a weird way to look at things, Randy Edsall is gone and there's no reason to believe we can't win games with that schedule.

It also isn't the historical highs for Fresno, they've had some great teams over the years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was going for the 4th and 2 on the 22 talked about, when they didn’t take the points just 1 point down?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
DB had to put a schedule in a year. Games had to be moved and somehow he pulled it off. This isn't basketball where most scheduling is year to year. In college football, there are contracts signed 6 years in advance. We want BC, Cuse and Army every year. That is the idea of a local schedule where the fans can go to road games.

Reaction Score
Is McFadden injured? He was limping after that missed FG. I can't seem to find any update on thay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom