Hubris | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hubris

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
As I read this I was going to ignore it and go about my day. But, the more I thought about it, the more I needed to answer it. This is a UCONN board dominated by UCONN fans, why wouldn't we pick UCONN to win the game, that is our desired outcome.
As for predicting the score, you have to take in all the information available before the game. How many times have we lost to an un-ranked team? When has NCST ever beaten us? What was the Vegas line? etc. I don't ever predict score, but to those that do, its a fun past time.
To conclude, that in this case people were wrong, shows no disrespect to NCST. The only hubris I see is by the OP.

I really liked your message until you jarred me with the ad hominem attack at the very end. These things are unnecessary.

Reaction Score
I would not consider Ohio State, Texas, Baylor, NoCar, Texas A&M as afterthoughts. Tennessee? Maybe an afterthought.
I'd say none of those are afterthoughts, but I only see TX and OSU as FF threats in the next few seasons.

I will be very, very suprised if we ever see ODU or LA Tech on the national stage again because they aren't in the group of "big" schools. They have a much tougher hill to climb despite their storied histories and even those are well in the rear view mirror at this point.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'd say none of those are afterthoughts, but I only see TX and OSU as FF threats in the next few seasons.

I will be very, very suprised if we ever see ODU or LA Tech on the national stage again because they aren't in the group of "big" schools. They have a much tougher hill to climb despite their storied histories and even those are well in the rear view mirror at this point.
Yes, the longer list of programs was an odd mix in that it included, quite correctly, some programs whose time came and went due to the nature of "the game" with the ascendance of larger schools, and that includes ODU and LA Tech. It also included a few schools who had good coaches at one time and were quite good (Vandy, Alabama, Auburn come to mind) but never really tried to regain that level (maybe not so concerned about women's basketball?). And others that are certainly trying and I think it is too early to write off, as others mentioned, which would include Duke, Texas, OSU maybe Tennessee, etc. But annual success is never guaranteed, even to a program doing (over all) quite good.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to beat the dead horse here more but want to express my biggest frustration with the reporting of this game not just here but also in the media. Big news was UConn was upset by an unranked team. The rankings came out before any games were played. They were a guess based on what the teams showed last year and lost do to graduation or transfer (both in and out). These were not really rankings. They were guesses based on no pure facts. Yes UConn had some issues in that game. First game with basically a new team against a team with a known good coach. Talented players take time to become talented teams. Otherwise it is just an all star game. The outcome of the game was still in question until they were forced to quickly foul and hope. That also contributed to the large disparity in number of fouls shot. All the other stuff is a work in progress. But let the wailing about losing to an unranked team go. That has merit in January - not the second game of the season between 2 undefeated teams.

Reaction Score
We at the BoneYard want to believe our greatness is deserved every year because we're UCONN!
Think about this, Teams that were always big winners are now an after thought in today's WBB.
La Tech, Old Dominion, Auburn, TN, GA, USoCal, Ohio St, Virginia, Rutgers, Duke, Alabama, Vandy, Boston College, TX, Cheyney State, TX Tech, Baylor, Purdue, NoCar, Western KY, TX A&M, etc.
Where are they now?
Nothing is promised any school, even UCONN!
What UCONN has done since 1995 is unbelievable in any sport!
Everyone wanted parity, well buckle your chin straps we've got parity!
No more of throwing your legacy out on the court days and winning are over!
I still feel that UCONN will win the National Championship but they will have to perform up to UCONN's usual standards every game!
As far as hubris goes, let's not forget Mississippi State. They had a couple of good years, beating UConn at the buzzer in the Final Four. Then their commentators and press start talking about "the "beginning of a dynasty." (I kid you not.)

Well, go get a title and then we'll talk.

Reaction Score
As far as hubris goes, let's not forget Mississippi State. They had a couple of good years, beating UConn at the buzzer in the Final Four. Then their commentators and press start talking about "the "beginning of a dynasty." (I kid you not.)

Well, go get a title and then we'll talk.
I won't say that didn't happen because we all know there are crazy fans across the spectrum, but I follow MSU very closely and don't recall there being excessive amounts of hubris from the general fanbase.

We had a very good run that effectively ended when Vic left for Austin. I hoped we wouldn't fall down too far but I knew our days of being top 10 were done and so did most. Had he stayed I think the potential was there to be a consistent threat but that's life.

No team without a title can call themselves anything and it takes more than one or two to be a dynasty. I'd tell supporters of my own school that. However, I don't believe the program exhibited excessive amounts of hubris from 2017 to 2019. I'm sure a few crazy fans were here and there as there always are but those don't speak for the masses.

Reaction Score
As I read this I was going to ignore it and go about my day. But, the more I thought about it, the more I needed to answer it. This is a UCONN board dominated by UCONN fans, why wouldn't we pick UCONN to win the game, that is our desired outcome.
As for predicting the score, you have to take in all the information available before the game. How many times have we lost to an un-ranked team? When has NCST ever beaten us? What was the Vegas line? etc. I don't ever predict score, but to those that do, its a fun past time.
To conclude, that in this case people were wrong, shows no disrespect to NCST. The only hubris I see is by the OP.
On MSGRET's post-game thread, I saw that Massie had predicted a tight game -- a UConn win, but nowhere near the 26-point average our comrades predicted.

Reaction Score
I don't blame the players at all.
But UConn had some players on the bench who could have contributed because of their skillsets even if only fot a few minutes.
The winning coach was able to put players on the floor who aren't as talented as some of the UConn bench players that didn't play.
Yet NC State still won the game.

The game was on national TV & a lot of experts were watching how the game was coached.
Yesterday's game is on the record for them to evaluate & to draw their own conclusions & professional criticisms.
Upsets aren't easy to predict but when there's a full bench the players shouldn't be criticized for any coaching mistakes.
If someone were playing badly then it's up to the coach to take them out & not the players faults.
When game plan A doesn't work then there should be plan B & plan C.
We must have watched different games. UConn played 9 players. UConn just got beat. Not much else could have been done. UConn will live to play another game, in fact they play again on Thursday11-15-23. They could lose this game as well. I'm sure they will give it their all and we will see what happens. You win some, you lose some some. That's the nature of sports.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I won't say that didn't happen because we all know there are crazy fans across the spectrum, but I follow MSU very closely and don't recall there being excessive amounts of hubris from the general fanbase.

We had a very good run that effectively ended when Vic left for Austin. I hoped we wouldn't fall down too far but I knew our days of being top 10 were done and so did most. Had he stayed I think the potential was there to be a consistent threat but that's life.

No team without a title can call themselves anything and it takes more than one or two to be a dynasty. I'd tell supporters of my own school that. However, I don't believe the program exhibited excessive amounts of hubris from 2017 to 2019. I'm sure a few crazy fans were here and there as there always are but those don't speak for the masses.
I agree - at least from a distance I didn't hear anything like that coming from the Mississippi State camp. And my experience with many Rutgers fans was similar. There were always fans (more than a few with Rutgers) who simply could not see Rutgers' place in the cosmic scheme of things.

Of course, there are distinct types of fans - some folks are primarily fans of the school and follow the sport to support the team / school, while others are both fans of the school and the sport itself. I'm sure the 2 groups see the team in different lights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom