How would you rank the kick we will receive soon? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the kick we will receive soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For some odd reason, publicly begging seems to work for everyone until it gets to us and then it's embarrassing and overbearing. Publicly lobbying worked wonders for Louisville as the word was they really set themselves above us in the final hours of the ACC's decision, and now Memphis and Houston have lobbied so much that they seem to be on everyone's top 4 list despite having major disadvantages.

I know public opinion differs from what the presidents making this decision think, but public perception will certainly bleed into their thoughts to some degree as the fans are their constituents after all, and public perception is our weakest area.

How is public perception changed when all your program has done is win and you are still disrespected? Marketing, and that amounts to public lobbying in this game. I thought our ads in the Dallas paper were a good start but all has been quiet on that front since.
It's now at the point where, if we don't get an invite, this administration will be crucified much like the former regime a few years ago. They better know what they're doing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B12 is full of very fickle and unstable people. You want to be up in their face pushing your message, whether the rest of us know it or not.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
For some odd reason, publicly begging seems to work for everyone until it gets to us and then it's embarrassing and overbearing. Publicly lobbying worked wonders for Louisville as the word was they really set themselves above us in the final hours of the ACC's decision, and now Memphis and Houston have lobbied so much that they seem to be on everyone's top 4 list despite having major disadvantages.

I know public opinion differs from what the presidents making this decision think, but public perception will certainly bleed into their thoughts to some degree as the fans are their constituents after all, and public perception is our weakest area.

How is public perception changed when all your program has done is win and you are still disrespected? Marketing, and that amounts to public lobbying in this game. I thought our ads in the Dallas paper were a good start but all has been quiet on that front since.
I get all of this and I agree and I think many of us would all love to see us do the dog and pony show....However, we have been here in this situation more than any other school out there. To think we'd do nothing and expect everything to just fall into place after we've seen this blow up in our face multiple times, is crazy. I just can't believe that the administration has learned nothing and is just twiddling their thumbs.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's now at the point where, if we don't get an invite, this administration will be crucified much like the former regime a few years ago. They better know what they're doing.
I truly pray Herbst and the administration truly understand the gravity of all of this. They seem to always say the right things in articles but who knows if they really grasp it all and are going all out. Connecticut attitudes of indifference about sports can kill us.

Reaction Score
This public support so early in the process is downright weird and suspicious. It feels to me that Texas has an agenda and is using Houston as its pawn. By doing so, it also shows how insecure Texas is in the power they have or lost. Sure, Texas can always land on its it feet. But this has been a brutal few years and they have lost a lot power nationally.

Reaction Score
This public support so early in the process is downright weird and suspicious. It feels to me that Texas has an agenda and is using Houston as its pawn. By doing so, it also shows how insecure Texas is in the power they have or lost. Sure, Texas can always land on its it feet. But this has been a brutal few years and they have lost a lot power nationally.

Yea, i tend to agree. Making Houston a stronger player plays opposite everything that a number of members have said in public re: making other schools stronger as their expense. If you give Houston a better pulpit, it's likely to make those Texas and mid south schools even tougher to grab players for with one more competitor. Also, it's hard to believe another Texas school makes a lot of sense from a tv development standpoint.

Reaction Score
I get all of this and I agree and I think many of us would all love to see us do the dog and pony show....However, we have been here in this situation more than any other school out there. To think we'd do nothing and expect everything to just fall into place after we've seen this blow up in our face multiple times, is crazy. I just can't believe that the administration has learned nothing and is just twiddling their thumbs.

THIS. I hate to make it this simplistic but it does seem to be the case over and over. no matter what we think, what the pundits may say, what seems reasonable or smart - - apparently the only thing that matters in P5 expansion is your football prowess (real or perceived) and/or your football pedigree. And, we get crucified over and over again largely because of the last 5 seasons. Please tell me that we are not going to sit back again and let others continue to reinforce the public perception that we are practically an absolute zero in football. We had the best initial 10 year run of any school making the leap to FBS, we have had many drafted players, we are back on the rise and we are a major athletic program. I don"t want us to grovel but please can we do some PR and self-promotion.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
THIS. I hate to make it this simplistic but it does seem to be the case over and over. no matter what we think, what the pundits may say, what seems reasonable or smart - - apparently the only thing that matters in P5 expansion is your football prowess (real or perceived) and/or your football pedigree. And, we get crucified over and over again largely because of the last 5 seasons. Please tell me that we are not going to sit back again and let others continue to reinforce the public perception that we are practically an absolute zero in football. We had the best initial 10 year run of any school making the leap to FBS, we have had many drafted players, we are back on the rise and we are a major athletic program. I don"t want us to grovel but please can we do some PR and self-promotion.
We could do that publicly, but at this point the administrators in the B12 already have a packet from UConn showing that data. UConn has been going the non-FOIA-able route via the UConn Foundation. The UCFs of the world are letting their stuff be FOIAable. What does that tell you?

Did you guys see huskymedic posted UT president Fenves's tweet about research / professors at UH? I take that to mean football is the only thing that matters to the ESPN talking heads and social media types, but it is not the only thing that matters to the Fenveses and Borens. We do know that Herbst met with the former KSU president - and we only know that because it came from KSU's social media. There's no way to know for sure, but I'm pretty sure she's met at least a few other presidents from the Big 12 (and probably ACC and Big Ten too). To use a naval analogy, UConn is running silent, but that doesn't mean they're not just under the surface.

That said, the B12 has always been a mess politically. But if the kick arrives, (say if for some reason they only go for two instead of four) it won't be because the B12 football coaches and big donors got together and decided UConn isn't a football school, or because UConn didn't take the opportunity to go on ESPN and talk about how good attendance was in the Edsall era. It'll be because of their own dysfunction.

Reaction Score
I can almost sense the leg winding up. I've seen this movie before.

My nuts already hurt just thinking about what's coming. I hope the G5 gets Congress involved to level the playing field whether we get into the P5 or not. This system sucks.

Reaction Score
If UConn's laid back say no harm be quiet approach is unsuccessful yet again than we should lead a march onto Storrs and shut the place down.

The amount of misinformation I see about UConn out there every time CR stars up is outrageous and there is ZERO attempt out of Storrs to correct any of it. Perhaps it's because we are in an election year and I marvel at rapid response/twitter reactions from the candidates but I cannot believe what I see out there written about us in comparison to some of these other schools from national sports pundits. And besides some dedicated fans there is zero push back from our side. Nothing from the people who get paid. And where is the CT media leading the drumbeat to build pressure on ESPN?

If the Big 12 expands by 4 and we are not among them it will be the equivalent of Marco Rubio setting himself on fire in that debate with Chris Christie.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nuclear. That is the level we are dealing with. 3rd time!

Reaction Score
I am worried because Benedict said a few days ago that they had not been contacted, and things seem to be moving fast.

Reaction Score
I am worried because Benedict said a few days ago that they had not been contacted, and things seem to be moving fast.

Benedict said"indirectly" meaning,, I think that UConn is using Tranghese as a go between. Must read these things correctly, or drive yourself crazy.

Reaction Score
Didn't he say he specifically had not had direct contact with the B12? That would only mean he himself hadn't. It wouldn't mean Herbst or other backchannels hadn't communicated. I remember his word choice being very specific.

Reaction Score
Having flashbacks to ACC debacle. This was before I had a smartphone. I was running with my iPod at lunch and breaks to find a hot spot and try to find any information here and other websites. I started out feeling good and expecting an invite. As time went on without an invite, I knew there were problems (football schools).

The difference this time is I expect the worst and assume our location will be used against us. I will be crushed, but it won't be like the knife stab from the last go round

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Benedict said"indirectly" meaning,, I think that UConn is using Tranghese as a go between. Must read these things correctly, or drive yourself crazy.

If everything is riding on Tranghese, I have deeply profound doubts about the future of athletics at UCONN. I hope it's not, but it wouldn't suprise me if it is.

Reaction Score
If UConn's laid back say no harm be quiet approach is unsuccessful yet again than we should lead a march onto Storrs and shut the place down.

The amount of misinformation I see about UConn out there every time CR stars up is outrageous and there is ZERO attempt out of Storrs to correct any of it. Perhaps it's because we are in an election year and I marvel at rapid response/twitter reactions from the candidates but I cannot believe what I see out there written about us in comparison to some of these other schools from national sports pundits. And besides some dedicated fans there is zero push back from our side. Nothing from the people who get paid. And where is the CT media leading the drumbeat to build pressure on ESPN?

If the Big 12 expands by 4 and we are not among them it will be the equivalent of Marco Rubio setting himself on fire in that debate with Chris Christie.
I agree. This silence had better be because we've already been given the nod. They'd better be very confident, because whether public lobbying would've helped or not, everyone will assume it would've if we get passed by again.

It's a very risky play after they looked so complacent the last time around.

Reaction Score
Full support of all media consultants is the one thing consistent in the UConn candidacy. You can't maximize the money without the Northeast market and everything we hear from tv people has UConn in. Now the B12 writers have UConn in. I feel much better than I did yesterday.
If UConn don't make it in with 4 yes 4 G5 schools being added I'll be a monkeys uncle.....and I'm NOT a monkeys uncle.....they can't be that stupid...I say you're IN.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm overseas for work until end of August. My only defense is the top floor lounge. Complimentary beer, wine and liquor. It's my only defense for keeping sanity.

IMG_20160731_180815.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01