How would you like Ref to officiate games? | The Boneyard

How would you like Ref to officiate games?

Reaction Score
My ideal way I'd like to see games called is as follows:

Call obvious off the ball impedance (chucking & grabbing) impacting the flow of the game.

Call over-aggressive hacking and body impedance on the ball handler impacting the flow of the game or resulting in a turnover. I'm okay with occasional bumping and reaching in where they let it go, but when teams try hacking away and impeding the flow, I want to see officials clean that up. No one likes to watch that crap.

Call clear hacking the shooter (arms, head, shoves to the body}, allowing moderate body to body contact when player drives to the basket.

Call contact on 3pt shooters where in addition to the above, clear contact on the shooters hand when not getting the ball first, body to body, and landing in the shooters landing zone (note this latter is a deterrent to prevent foot and ankle injuries) Note I'm okay with not calling it when the shooter clearly kick his leg out, but I don't like when they call it an offensive foul like they did against Newton last game, which I thought the leg extension was so minimal it should not have been called.

Call over-the-back, but only when it's obvious or impacts the outcome of the rebound. I hate when fouls start mounting up due to excessively calling this foul when it doesn't impact the outcome of the play.

Don't call the foul if the defender blocks the shot and has incidental contact. If the defender blows up the shooter with significant contact then call it.

I'm okay with the offensive foul where the defender clearly had position and/or the offensive player extends off arm, lowers shoulder, hooks the defender. I hate when they call it a defensive foul when the defender is trying to hold his ground, jumps straight up or has his hand straight up. I don't mind physical play in the post by either player unless the offensive player clearly moves the defender with excessive body, shoulder or arm action.

I'm okay with in the paint fighting for position as long as neither player is excessively moving the player from their spot. Let them play but not completely take a player out of the game throughout the game.

To call the game as described above isn't all that easy. Officiating a basketball game is the most difficult of all the sports in my opinion. Maybe except trying to call defensive and offensive holding in a football game, which seems a random affair if you ask me. Looks like defensive lineman are are holding just about on every play especially in the NFL, but that's a discussion for another time..

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Fairly, evenly, no prejudice toward coaches or players (totally clean slates at the start of every game), avoiding any feeling about any need to "even up" foul calls late in the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom