How will you cope with your frustrations? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How will you cope with your frustrations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@JMick that team had played together for 2 full seasons and built an amazing "us against the world" mentality. Hard to recreate, especially the chemistry.

Wonder if Ollie is rethinking his grad transfer strategy, then. Yes, Miller has been great this year and Gibbs has shown flashes but having two starters that other coaches developed can't be a viable full-time strategy. I wouldn't expect to see many, if any more grad transfers through his tenure.

That being said, Miller is probably the only reason we're winning games this year.

Reaction Score
I had this exact thought at different points during the 2011 and 2014 seasons as well.

I just really don't want to miss the tourney two years in a row. For a program like this, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. At least get the chance to set yourself up for the dance.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Ollie is rethinking his grad transfer strategy, then. Yes, Miller has been great this year and Gibbs has shown flashes but having two starters that other coaches developed can't be a viable full-time strategy. I wouldn't expect to see many, if any more grad transfers through his tenure.

That being said, Miller is probably the only reason we're winning games this year.

It wasn't so much a strategy as a necessity. The Terrence Samuels and Kentan Faceys of the world aren't going to prop up a blue blood program forever.

We had to resort to taking other team's used goods -- Purvis, Gibbs, Miller -- as pillars of our team.

Starting in 2016, we're back to recruiting at the level befitting a Top 10 program. Hopefully it will keep up in spite of Ollie's diminishing resume in on-court results and -- importantly -- lack of NBA success among his players.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Ollie is rethinking his grad transfer strategy, then.
Using grad transfers as glue guys / locker room guys a la Evans and Kromah: good

Depending on grad transfers to be the cornerstones of your offense: bad

Reaction Score
Starting in 2016, we're back to recruiting at the level befitting a Top 10 program. Hopefully it will keep up in spite of Ollie's diminishing resume in on-court results and -- importantly -- lack of NBA success among his players.

I'm really hoping Brown comes here next year, because between the '16 class, Larrier, and the potential of Brown reclassifying, everything is looking up.

I hate following recruiting but it's the only thing keeping me sane at the moment.

Reaction Score
Can we at least finish in the top 2 in the AAC? Ugh!!!! We haven't even been able to accomplish that feat. LOL!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm off tomorrow and with friends so we are going to get drunk, argue about the game, and then forget about it until I wake up and see all my stupid comments on the boneyard.
You just pretty much described my life for 13 special weekends this fall.

Reaction Score
Using grad transfers as glue guys / locker room guys a la Evans and Kromah: good

Depending on grad transfers to be the cornerstones of your offense: bad
I'll take Miller everyday that kid has had huge balls this year.
Gibbs has been a mystery. He's in his 5th year of ball going to a lesser basketball conference and he is worse than last year. THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Reaction Score
We're not going to miss it. Even though our offense was out of sync, our defense was strong, and that's going to give a lot of teams problems down the stretch. Let's not forget (bricked layups, missed dunks, double dribble's aside), Temple is a good team, their D was solid, and they got a lot of incredibly lucky baskets down the stretch. Yes, we shouldn't have lost, but I can't put the blame on Ollie as I have in the past, sometimes you just can't coach stupid; we were stupid, we collapsed mentally down the stretch and showed zero basketball IQ to lose by little. But, back to my original point, our defense remains solid, and because of that, I don't think we're gonna lose enough games to not make the tournament. This is mostly seed at this point, and I think we're gonna come out of the gates on fire on fire against Tulsa and continue an otherwise good stretch of wins.

Reaction Score
We're not going to miss it. Even though our offense was out of sync, our defense was strong, and that's going to give a lot of teams problems down the stretch. Let's not forget (bricked layups, missed dunks, double dribble's aside), Temple is a good team, their D was solid, and they got a lot of incredibly lucky baskets down the stretch. Yes, we shouldn't have lost, but I can't put the blame on Ollie as I have in the past, sometimes you just can't coach stupid; we were stupid, we collapsed mentally down the stretch and showed zero basketball IQ to lose by little. But, back to my original point, our defense remains solid, and because of that, I don't think we're gonna lose enough games to not make the tournament. This is mostly seed at this point, and I think we're gonna come out of the gates on fire on fire against Tulsa and continue an otherwise good stretch of wins.
It is unfortunate that the defense is so good on many UConn games until the last few minutes as they throw away leads then games when they need crucial stops - and the offense has not helped!

Reaction Score
We're not going to miss it. .....But, back to my original point, our defense remains solid, and because of that, I don't think we're gonna lose enough games to not make the tournament. This is mostly seed at this point, and I think we're gonna come out of the gates on fire on fire against Tulsa and continue an otherwise good stretch of wins.
I'm sorry but this is delusional thinking at this point....we are NOT solidly in anything at this point. UConn is 0-4 vs the teams ahead of them in AAC standings with 4 to play....need to win at least 2, probably 3 and all the rest vs teams below us. Also Michigan has been dropping leaving us with Texas as only really good win. We can absorb 1 more loss, maybe 2....that's it! Jerry Palm is a moron but he already has us "last team in".

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm fortunate enough to be working 18-hour days at a weeklong conference. Completely missed the game and the first 12 or so hours of meltdown.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

Worked out okay for Kromah.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I try to remember it is a game and is supposed to be something I enjoy.
That it's my school and I want to support them through thick and thin.
Now, "try" is the operative word. First a little piece of me dies after a loss like that.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
I'm going to re-watch the first 33 minutes of the game tomorrow. And then erase it forever.

I was out tonight and recorded the game. When I watch in delay I can't visit the yard or the chat room, so I watched it not knowing. I was really really impressed until the complete and total meltdown that took place in the last 6 minutes. ...

Same here. I tried to watch the game late last night and fell asleep when we had a comfortable lead. Then my subconscious woke me up when it realized that Dunphy was on screen being interviewed by the commentators. No!!! I couldn't believe it!

Just rewatched the game. Textbook example of a collapse. Up 11 with about 5 minutes left. Temple can't miss threes, and we do everything possible to lose -- dribbling out the shot clock, (phantom?) double dribble, errant passing, mishandling the ball down low, and missing shots.

What's done is done. Not a "bad loss", but we need to bounce back from this Saturday night. Lot of season left.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I just became the literal embodiment of the term " fair weather fan" . I never really grasped the term until now. I just gave away my tickets tonight because I don't feel like dealing with the cold weather and the drive to Storrs from the shoreline. I never do that. I go to noon games on 2 hours sleep I go to weeknight games straight from long work days. I make a lot of effort to support this team. I don't have it in me tonight. My house is warm and the thought of watching it from my couch is right now more appealing. First world problems of a petulant p$&&y I'm quite sure, ( because I usually deride people doing what I'm doing ) but Thursday sucked the wind out of my sails.

Reaction Score
I just became the literal embodiment of the term " fair weather fan" . I never really grasped the term until now. I just gave away my tickets tonight because I don't feel like dealing with the cold weather and the drive to Storrs from the shoreline. I never do that. I go to noon games on 2 hours sleep I go to weeknight games straight from long work days. I make a lot of effort to support this team. I don't have it in me tonight. My house is warm and the thought of watching it from my couch is right now more appealing. First world problems of a petulant p$&&y I'm quite sure, ( because I usually deride people doing what I'm doing ) but Thursday sucked the wind out of my sails.
What about Caron! Worth the trip for that alone. And a game too? Snap out of it!

Reaction Score
I'd drive from North Carolina to watch Caron get honored!! I guess your nickname isn't Tuff Juice!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What about Caron! Worth the trip for that alone. And a game too? Snap out of it!
Too late. They went to good fans. Regret missing Caron, but I need a night off. I'll still watch and still root like hell and still go to more games this year. I would be very angry at myself ( at myself, not the team, they owe me nothing) for missing a chance to get some much needed rest only to get aggravated on a close loss or something. I guess I'm just hedging my bets on my own personal well being :) .

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
August, no ability to curb your enthusiasm?
I'm working on my life or death expectations because they are...well..dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom