How will Newton’s role evolve? | The Boneyard

How will Newton’s role evolve?

Reaction Score
“I think some people will see a guy that has a lot more to his offensive game as a scorer without losing any of the facilitating,” Hurley said after the team’s first summer workout. “We can move him around, really put him in a position to produce at an all-league level.”

Alternate access:
How will Tristen Newton’s role evolve for the 2023-24 UConn men’s basketball season?

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230610_215209_Google.jpg

Reaction Score
With Newton, Castle and Spencer more than likely being in your starting rotation your ball handling is strong although none of the 3 are really true PGs. All can pass and shoot it they will be tough to guard. Also leaves space for DC to move in the lane and Alex to sit out and wait for the penetration and kick outs for open jumpers. This could be a very fun lineup. And the youngsters coming off the bench don’t have just need to find their place on the floor.

When is the first game?

Reaction Score
Castle and Spencer will be a more well-rounded backcourt, ball-handling wise and should play almost interchangeably on and off the ball.

Newton will still get the straight-line drive opportunities to get to the rim or draw fouls, while also getting more spot-up 3 looks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Same as those who came before him. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Castle and Spencer will be a more well-rounded backcourt, ball-handling wise and should play almost interchangeably on and off the ball.

Newton will still get the straight-line drive opportunities to get to the rim or draw fouls, while also getting more spot-up 3 looks.
UConn has beaten a lot of good teams over the years by "cutting the head off the snake". There will be no snake for this edition of the Huskies. It will be a hydra.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Its already been decided - Castle is the PG, backed by HD.
Newton will be the 2 if Spencer doesn't take it

Reaction Score
Its already been decided - Castle is the PG, backed by HD.
Newton will be the 2 if Spencer doesn't take it
Newton and Spencer will be playing the 2-3 in the starting lineup. They will be interchangeble. I don't see any competition between the 2 of them. They will complement each other in the starting line-up as the 2 and the 3 won't be that discernible in UCONN's offense.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Newton and Spencer will be playing the 2-3 in the starting lineup. They will be interchangeble. I don't see any competition between the 2 of them. They will complement each other in the starting line-up as the 2 and the 3 won't be that discernible in UCONN's offense.
I’m interested in seeing how Newton playing the 2 as a primarily off ball player goes.

I know we’ve seen guys like Boatright do it. But we’ll have to see if Newton can play like Boatright.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I expect Newton to be the PG same as last year. Castle will be a facilitator just like Andre was. Both will be announced as "at a guard". They will both get assists, both bring the ball up. Newton doesn't have much of a drive and kick game, so I hope Castle brings that. Expect Castle to be a deadly zone buster at the FT line, like DHam was. This whole "Castle is going to be the PG" stuff, I don't buy it. He'll do enough PG like things to showcase that he can play the position in the NBA. But much like UConn, the NBA really wants versatility in a more positionless game.

Reaction Score
Why are posters so stuck on who is the PG. PG by committee worked last year. This year our 3 starting guards can all facilitate.
While I agree with your post people are saying this because Newton has been told my Hurley that he will be playing more off the ball though I agree he will stil see some primary ball handling especially when Castle has to sit. I mean do we really want Diarra being a primary ball handler(Unless he improves a lot with decision making and passing and his shot)?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m more in the Castle will slide into Andre’s role camp. Which basically means a split more than being “the” point guard. Spencer will be Joey C esq in our offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom