How Unfortunate for Jamelle Elliot | The Boneyard

How Unfortunate for Jamelle Elliot

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Talk about a misleading sentence : "The team, which drew 4,000 spectators for its matchup against the University of Connecticut Huskies this year..." The rest of their games don't come close to 4,000. You really have to be searching to find their average attendance in that article and even then it's skewed.In fact, you could fit the entire non-UConn game attendance for the full season into Gampel. They only average 632 then.
When you really think about it, this is a good thing for Elliot. Job 1 for a college sports coach is to stay employed. This situation should give her a couple more years. It's only one season.

Reaction Score
The signal this sends is such that Jamelle is going to be able to recruit nada in terms of top athletes. Every recruiting opponent will use this against her. She should be looking for new employment now, because this will just precipitate a spiral downward that will lead to her firing in maybe two years. Cincy doesn't care about any of that, because they don;'t care about WCBB.

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score
I believe Jamelle to be a good coach stuck in a bad situation.........But she has made the team somewhat competitive without full institution support. A testament to her ability as a coach.
This will certainly hurt recruiting. Hopefully she will survive this .

Reaction Score
I believe Jamelle to be a good coach stuck in a bad situation....But she has made the team somewhat competitive without full institution support. A testament to her ability as a coach.
This will certainly hurt recruiting. Hopefully she will survive this .
New arena, a lot of publicity, consensus she is a solid coach. Why should this be considered negatively by recruits who will never play in the HS gym? Not much to do in the part of the US and with some success, they have a chance to do well with the new facility.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Cincinnati play UConn once next season like last season, the game will be in Connecticut next season (17-18).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Why? It is for one year. Then they will be playing in a "new" arena. Anyone she is recruiting now will never play in the HS gym.
Right you are. Additionally, this isn't unheard of. Rutgers played West Virginia in a high school gym years ago while their arena was being renovated.

Reaction Score
I am having trouble divining the problem here. Cincy's attendance is low, and they will be playing in HS gym that will accommodate their normal crowds and perhaps even have more noise for the team. All for one year while the normal stadium is refurbished, or whatever. What, exactly, is the problem here?

Reaction Score
I am having trouble divining the problem here. Cincy's attendance is low, and they will be playing in HS gym that will accommodate their normal crowds and perhaps even have more noise for the team. All for one year while the normal stadium is refurbished, or whatever. What, exactly, is the problem here?

There is no problem.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The problem is that the head coach is an ex UCONN player.....:D

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I am of mixed feelings about this:

1) Wrong for the University to make this decision without consultation of the women's coaching staff
2) I think the decision, on the face of it, shows sexual discrimination. But then, this isn't new for the University of Cincinnati. That have a pattern of it, as do many other schools.

On the other hand, it may not be so terribly bad for the women if in fact it assures better hours and ease of transportation than their practicing and playing at NKU. And I while I certainly can't speak for the coaching staff and players, I think it would be nicer to play for 830 fans in a 1,000 seat arena than 830 fans in a 9,000 seat setting. Ultimately, Jamelle will be responsible for setting the tone of how the staff and team respond to this.

I can't imagine that it is particularly rewarding, for example, for the Syracuse women to play in a largely empty Carrier Dome.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I am of mixed feelings about this:

1) Wrong for the University to make this decision without consultation of the women's coaching staff
2) I think the decision, on the face of it, shows sexual discrimination. But then, this isn't new for the University of Cincinnati. That have a pattern of it, as do many other schools.

On the other hand, it may not be so terribly bad for the women if in fact it assures better hours and ease of transportation than their practicing and playing at NKU. And I while I certainly can't speak for the coaching staff and players, I think it would be nicer to play for 830 fans in a 1,000 seat arena than 830 fans in a 9,000 seat setting. Ultimately, Jamelle will be responsible for setting the tone of how the staff and team respond to this.

I can't imagine that it is particularly rewarding, for example, for the Syracuse women to play in a largely empty Carrier Dome.

Is it sexual discrimination or revenue/monetary discrimination?

It's interesting that they tried to get them both in the same place but it wasn't really feasible. What kind of standard is there? should they have pulled the men out too? Does the real estate the gym is sitting upon matter more than if it's considered up to NCAA specifications? I really don't know what the best answer is.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Is it sexual discrimination or revenue/monetary discrimination?

It's interesting that they tried to get them both in the same place but it wasn't really feasible. What kind of standard is there? should they have pulled the men out too? Does the real estate the gym is sitting upon matter more than if it's considered up to NCAA specifications? I really don't know what the best answer is.

Too often, I believe, it's the same thing. My aunt and uncle both taught at Brown University, in the same department. Even though she had seniority (in fact, she was chair of his doctoral committee), she was paid less.

And when I was on the faculty of the University of Maine, there was disparity in salary between men and women. Reflective of most segments of our society.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Too often, I believe, it's the same thing. My aunt and uncle both taught at Brown University, in the same department. Even though she had seniority (in fact, she was chair of his doctoral committee), she was paid less.

And when I was on the faculty of the University of Maine, there was disparity in salary between men and women. Reflective of most segments of our society.

Sadly.

the Q

Reaction Score

This has actually been proven false as a whole. Despite what the mass media tries to shove down our throats. But that's cesspool material that I really don't want to dive into.

But you can't make people show up to games, or make boosters give up their money, or make people watch on TV so TV companies beg for your business.

I mean, 600 people per game is abysmal. I went to a small town in CT for HS and I probably played in front of at least 300-400. Giving them a 9000 seat gym seems to be just throwing money away. There had to be better options than A or B.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This has actually been proven false as a whole. Despite what the mass media tries to shove down our throats. But that's cesspool material that I really don't want to dive into.

But you can't make people show up to games, or make boosters give up their money, or make people watch on TV so TV companies beg for your business.

I mean, 600 people per game is abysmal. I went to a small town in CT for HS and I probably played in front of at least 300-400. Giving them a 9000 seat gym seems to be just throwing money away. There had to be better options than A or B.
Unfortunately, I make out about 200 (of the 350 or so) D1 schools that averaged less than 1000 fans in the 2015 - 2016 season, and I can't imagine it changed significantly for this past year.

In fact, 14 of 32 conferences averaged under 1000 fans per game for that season.

Cannot spin women's basketball attendance as good.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The signal this sends is such that Jamelle is going to be able to recruit nada in terms of top athletes. Every recruiting opponent will use this against her. She should be looking for new employment now, because this will just precipitate a spiral downward that will lead to her firing in maybe two years. Cincy doesn't care about any of that, because they don;'t care about WCBB.
Umm, just no. The situation has been spelled out a few times on this board. Even the Cincinnati Men's team is not using a large facility as they don't draw like they used to. It comes down to economics and logistics. As it's for one year, they will be fine.

That said, what top recruits has she ever brought in? While we root for her, her actually record is sort of meh, so let's not get all up in arms over her situation. Jamelle is in year 9 and frankly she is average at best and probably slightly below average. Not sure what evidence you have about UC not caring about WCBB as it seems to me they are fully funded with full allotment of coaches and grad assistants. :(

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Umm, just no. The situation has been spelled out a few times on this board. Even the Cincinnati Men's team is not using a large facility as they don't draw like they used to. It comes down to economics and logistics. As it's for one year, they will be fine.

That said, what top recruits has she ever brought in? While we root for her, her actually record is sort of meh, so let's not get all up in arms over her situation. Jamelle is in year 9 and frankly she is average at best and probably slightly below average. Not sure what evidence you have about UC not caring about WCBB as it seems to me they are fully funded with full allotment of coaches and grad assistants. :(
Actually, it has been said for a very long time that Cinci isn't hugely supportive of women's basketball, going back to previous coaches. Of course, that's an opinion. My additional point of view would suggest that the fact that Jamelle continues there "slightly below average" (your words) also suggests the same. And most schools in decent conferences - and the American is decent - do fund the full allotment of coaches and grad assistants.

As noted above - and I already commented - this one year situation is not a big deal. But until you think about it, it tends to look like another "women coming second" scenario.

the Q

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I make out about 200 (of the 350 or so) D1 schools that averaged less than 1000 fans in the 2015 - 2016 season, and I can't imagine it changed significantly for this past year.

In fact, 14 of 32 conferences averaged under 1000 fans per game for that season.

Cannot spin women's basketball attendance as good.

I wasn't trying to. I apologize if it came off that way.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to. I apologize if it came off that way.
It didn't, and I didn't mean to make it sound like that was your claim. I was simply expanding on your accurate comment regarding 600 fans - "abysmal" was I think your word. I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom