OT: - How UConn men’s basketball team uses analytics company in recruiting, player analysis | The Boneyard

OT: How UConn men’s basketball team uses analytics company in recruiting, player analysis

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The UConn men were one of 40 Division I programs — 32 men’s, eight women’s — that utilized HDI’s services this past season (the UConn women haven’t come aboard yet). The company has also recently begun working with the WNBA.

I could guess how Geno views this new evolution. :p

Reaction Score

The UConn men were one of 40 Division I programs — 32 men’s, eight women’s — that utilized HDI’s services this past season (the UConn women haven’t come aboard yet). The company has also recently begun working with the WNBA.

I could guess how Geno views this new evolution. :p
I figured he would just continue to rely on World Exposure Report as the most reliable resource for WCBB coaches. But that might be difficult since it appears that the guru's website might have been shut down. ;):p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a recently retired data professional. I think I would view this with a dose of healthy skepticism. Data is only as useful as the models that are applied to it. It takes a lot of time and fine-tuning to get good models. Since sports data is ever changing (new players, graduations, coaching changes, injuries), it would be hard to create models that will have a good predictive value. It might be easier to make organizational predictions (win loss records, even the probability of which team will win a particular game) than it is to predict the performance of an individual player. It probably saves some time getting summarized past performance data, but I wouldn’t be basing any recruiting decisions on it.

Reaction Score
post from the founder of hd intelligence:

interestingly, uconn is not on the list, but several other big east schools (creighton, pc, st. john's) are

Reaction Score
post from the founder of hd intelligence:

interestingly, uconn is not on the list, but several other big east schools (creighton, pc, st. john's) are

Someone needs to tell the HDI folks that correlation does not imply causality. While saying that half of the to ten used their service is a nice advertising line, it doesn’t mean much. The top 10 schools on that list are all larger schools with recruiting resource dollars that can afford to use HDI. Further, they are all schools in need of improved players and attractive enough to get them, Additionally, 10 schools is such a small sample that the the margin of error is huge. If they said that half of the top 100 used them, that would be more interesting, but HDI doesn’t have that many schools. All of the top players would be well known to all of the coaches, as well, so it is unlikely that HDI’s service made the players more attractive to perspective schools or more likely to sign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom