How UConn became home for men's basketball's budding star Alex Karaban: 'He's very happy' (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

How UConn became home for men's basketball's budding star Alex Karaban: 'He's very happy' (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Now thats the type of article sports journalism should be. However, uh hmm, he forgot that the Boneyard was all about Alex since Dec of 2019 and that Tom Moore was informed of that interest at Hoophall in Jan 2020. From that point, obviously the UConn staff felt the pressure to get Alex to UConn with Adama Sanogo and Donovan Clingan who together were the 3 requested players to successfully recruit. Under Boneyard scrutiny, all three became Huskies and fullfilled the destiny predicted by the Boneyard. Even in 2019 it was obvious that as a New Hampton Husky it was a logical step to grow into a UConn Husky. Duh.

/s for those who don't get the joke.

Loved the kid since first eyed Dec 2019, at Hoophall (annex) against Putnam Science, again in that championship game he references as MVP vs Brewster, Most minutes played on a National Championship team with Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, Tristan, etc is a feat in itself and quite a compliment from the staff. I never dreamed though that he might be good enough to go into the draft early. Thought average athleticism would make him a 4 year player.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I liked Alex's game last year, but had concerns over whether he could up the effort and activity this year. After reading that article, I have no concerns.
Well, I do still have concerns, but he's not one of them.

Reaction Score
Very good article.

His brother needs to ditch the UNC shirt. Especially this season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I liked Alex's game last year, but had concerns over whether he could up the effort and activity this year.
I'm curious, why? I thought last year he was unused inventory, the players ahead of him performed so well he wasn't needed. Until 2 seconds on the shot clock, of course.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Karaban was raised, mostly, in Southborough and the family moved to Northborough — leaving the house with the court behind — as he was about to enter high school. The towns are in the same school district and share the same high school, Algonquin Regional, where Karaban spent one year.
@HooperScooper ;)

Reaction Score
I was going to say that the picture with the AK court is of his house in Southborough. But I decided against posting that since I think I beat that dead horse already. In my eyes he's from Southborough. Alex seems to agree since that's what is on his bio. Screw Northborough. :)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm curious, why? I thought last year he was unused inventory, the players ahead of him performed so well he wasn't needed. Until 2 seconds on the shot clock, of course.
Just something about my perception (misperception, apparently) of his ability to willingness to ramp up the energy level and be more of a take charge guy for us. He just seemed to fit into the flow of the game rather than trying to accelerate or energize it. At least that's the feeling I got from him last season. I didn't think he could convert to a take charge role that we're going to need with Ajax and Adama gone.

Reaction Score
A few of you guys, @Ricker being chief amongst you, absolutely stand out at identifying the best potential recruiting fits for us based upon what you have seen when you attend high school games and AAU events. I remember @Ricker in particular coming on here a few years back and specifically spotlighting Jordan Hawkins as "the guy" he wanted us to pursue even before we were mentioned with him... and then none other than Alex a year later. You were 100% correct about both guys, as they proved to be integral pieces of last year's run to Title #5.
I personally LOVE Alex's game... he flat out makes his teammates better, and he also had the intestinal fortitude to dramatically improve his 1-on-1 defense (his biggest liability earlier in the year) as the season went along. I can not wait to see what type of leap he makes from last year to this, while also observing with great interest just how strong a leader he becomes as well.

I selfishly hope we have him for one more year after this one so I can continue to thoroughly enjoy watching him play in a Husky uniform.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Great article on AK, his family, and drive to succeed. I can especially relate as I immigrated from Ukraine myself to CT, but that was very early in my childhood though. I can appreciate his parents' desire for Alex to succeed with an education in math/computer science.
Awesome job by Mike Anthony to write about it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He just seemed to fit into the flow of the game rather than trying to accelerate or energize it. At least that's the feeling I got from him last season.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you are saying but his uncanny shot making under pressure was telling me he was just biding his time. He's a baller, and ballers seem to know how to pick their spots.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I was going to say that the picture with the AK court is of his house in Southborough. But I decided against posting that since I think I beat that dead horse already. In my eyes he's from Southborough. Alex seems to agree since that's what is on his bio. Screw Northborough. :)
You really need to move to CT. Mass is addling your brain. ;-)

Reaction Score
Now thats the type of article sports journalism should be. However, uh hmm, he forgot that the Boneyard was all about Alex since Dec of 2019 and that Tom Moore was informed of that interest at Hoophall in Jan 2020. From that point, obviously the UConn staff felt the pressure to get Alex to UConn with Adama Sanogo and Donovan Clingan who together were the 3 requested players to successfully recruit. Under Boneyard scrutiny, all three became Huskies and fullfilled the destiny predicted by the Boneyard. Even in 2019 it was obvious that as a New Hampton Husky it was a logical step to grow into a UConn Husky. Duh.

/s for those who don't get the joke.

Loved the kid since first eyed Dec 2019, at Hoophall (annex) against Putnam Science, again in that championship game he references as MVP vs Brewster, Most minutes played on a National Championship team with Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, Tristan, etc is a feat in itself and quite a compliment from the staff. I never dreamed though that he might be good enough to go into the draft early. Thought average athleticism would make him a 4 year player.
He was pushed into those minutes with Samson unavailable. To his credit, he learned and grew every game. He was much better the 2nd time around.

Reaction Score
No one is gonna talk about how he is like a foot taller than both his parents? How did that happen?

Reaction Score
Even Alex seems to be unsure where he's from

IMG_5322.jpeg

Reaction Score

This is partially why I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t stay at least 3 years. His mom reportedly focused a lot on the academics during AK’s official visit, even visiting some class sessions if I recall correctly. I don’t think mom would support him leaving after year 2.

Reaction Score
This is partially why I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t stay at least 3 years. His mom reportedly focused a lot on the academics during AK’s official visit, even visiting some class sessions if I recall correctly. I don’t think mom would support him leaving after year 2.
His mom said in this article that he's hoping to leave after this year and he'll go back to get his degree after basketball is over

Reaction Score
His mom said in this article that he's hoping to leave after this year and he'll go back to get his degree after basketball is over
Interesting. Surprising but interesting. Ok.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom