How to use Sanogo better | The Boneyard

How to use Sanogo better

Reaction Score
I'm not a basketball expert by any means, but it's pretty clear that the offense needs a major spark and the one consistent bright spot lately is Sanogo.

Every single possession in the half court we run the same exact thing. Weave around the top with the big guy setting useless screens for 25 seconds before we panic and have to force up a garbage look. It's not working, and it's never going to work unless you have Steph Curry to bail you out.

Why does Hurley not plop Sanogo 6 feet from the basket and feed the ball inside to him every single possession. If they don't double him, he's good enough to take his man or draw a foul. Sanogo is shooting 54% from the field. No one else on this team is even over 48% from 2.

If they do double him, pass the ball outside for an open look. Playing some inside-out offense is such a simple concept that works in college every single time. Keeping our best big man 25 feet from the basket for 90% of the shot clock is one of the most idiotic offensive schemes I've ever seen. There is just no explanation for why Hurley has stuck with this.

If the excuse here is that Sanogo is not a great passer, then teach him. Make him a great passer. Our offense needed to change 7 games ago when Bouk went out.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The entire offense the last few games has been completely baffling. They have zero urgency to get a shot up until there's 5 seconds on the shot clock and it usually leads to a terrible look. Hurley complained about it in the post game, but it's been going on at least for the last two games. That's 80 minutes, why isn't he correcting anything in timeouts?

Reaction Score
The entire offense the last few games has been completely baffling. They have zero urgency to get a shot up until there's 5 seconds on the shot clock and it usually leads to a terrible look. Hurley complained about it in the post game, but it's been going on at least for the last two games. That's 80 minutes, why isn't he correcting anything in timeouts?
Stubborn or clueless? I'm not sure which is worse at this point lol.

The fix is just so simple, he has the right idea that the offense needs to go through the big man, but NOT 25ft from the basket. Go through the big man 6 feet from the basket and everything will open up. It doesn't take a genius to solve this.

And also, great coaches will adapt to the players they have. Martin, Cole, Sanogo, Whaley, Gaffney, and Jackson all range from serviceable to very good players. He should be setting these guys up to play to their strengths. I don't like seeing him blame them for these L's. Players win you games, coaches lose them. That's why he makes $3m/yr, he needs to be better

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need to feed the beast close to the basket. Don’t have Whaley on the three point line dumping it in.
Sanogo is so talented. His future is bright.

We have to just run. Run, run, run

Reaction Score
Stubborn or clueless? I'm not sure which is worse at this point lol.

The fix is just so simple, he has the right idea that the offense needs to go through the big man, but NOT 25ft from the basket. Go through the big man 6 feet from the basket and everything will open up. It doesn't take a genius to solve this.

And also, great coaches will adapt to the players they have. Martin, Cole, Sanogo, Whaley, Gaffney, and Jackson all range from serviceable to very good players. He should be setting these guys up to play to their strengths. I don't like seeing him blame them for these L's. Players win you games, coaches lose them. That's why he makes $3m/yr, he needs to be better
I am not qualified to comment on the Xs and Os, but the phrase I bolded needs to go the way of the dodo. It is a meaningless platitude. Players' and coaches' levels of blame/credit exist on a continuum regardless of the outcome of the game in question. It's a nice sentiment for a coach to tell his or her team, but any player with half a brain will know he or she is full of crap anyway.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why does Hurley not plop Sanogo 6 feet from the basket and feed the ball inside to him every single possession. If they don't double him, he's good enough to take his man or draw a foul. Sanogo is shooting 54% from the field. No one else on this team is even over 48% from 2.

Because everyone besides Andre Jackson sucks at Entry passes?

what do I win?

Reaction Score
We don't start running the offense early because we don't have anyone capable of doing it. It was clear from Hurley's post game comments about the press. He was as baffled as everyone here why they were coming across half court and then just not doing anything

Reaction Score
We don't start running the offense early because we don't have anyone capable of doing it. It was clear from Hurley's post game comments about the press. He was as baffled as everyone here why they were coming across half court and then just not doing anything
He could have fixed that in one 30 second time out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom