How to beat UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How to beat UConn

Reaction Score
This is why I dont understand why Hurley wont increase the tempo. He talked about wanting to get the bench involved, Akok is great in transition on both ends of the floor, and running gets more people involved. These slow it down rock fights dont work when you cant make shots.

Reaction Score
In UConn's 5 Losses:
  • We've shot 29% from 3 (20.5% ex-Seton Hall where we were near 60%)
  • Our bench players (Polley, Akok, Gaffney, Hawkins) contributed 53 points (27 ex-Seton Hall) on 22% shooting (13% ex-Seton Hall).
    • Ironically, Akok started 4 of those games and Hawkins started 1.
To me, the loss prescription is as simple as not getting anything from our bench. We play 9 guys but we're not 9 guys deep. I don't really put these losses on Hurley much, except for probably Seton Hall.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The purpose of the 3 man weave is to get the defense moving, cause switching which should open a lane to drive to the hoop and if double teamed pass to the open man. The biggest problem with this is we miss contested layups and are such a poor passing team that we rarely find on open shooter. It’s infuriating when I see someone open for a 3 but they don’t get the ball

Sure. Do you run it against Syracuse? Creighton was in man some of the time, zone some of the time and had Kakbrenner effectively zoned on the lane until he got hurt. When the D isn't chasing you, the weave and the screens up top just waste time.

McDermott scouted UConn very effectively and built a game plan that his guys executed very well. Since UConn continued doing exactly what he game planned for, they ended up winning. Yes, there were spurts when the fact that UConn has more athletic talent and better players allowed us to catch up. But note that happened after Kalkbrenner got hurt as well.

Reaction Score
Sure. Do you run it against Syracuse? Creighton was in man some of the time, zone some of the time and had Kakbrenner effectively zoned on the lane until he got hurt. When the D isn't chasing you, the weave and the screens up top just waste time.

McDermott scouted UConn very effectively and built a game plan that his guys executed very well. Since UConn continued doing exactly what he game planned for, they ended up winning. Yes, there were spurts when the fact that UConn has more athletic talent and better players allowed us to catch up. But note that happened after Kalkbrenner got hurt as well.
The thing is that we shot 35% rather than 29 % we win the game.

Reaction Score
I think it's right to expect that other teams will leave IW's defender in the lane. The adjustment we need to make isn't pulling Sanogo, nor is it to let IW hoist ten threes. The first adjustment you make when a team isn't guarding a big is that he spends most of the possession setting picks and screens on the perimeter. Not slip screens but solid screens. If he does that, and his defender isn't with him to help, we ought to be able to free the guys we want shooting 3s for open looks.

Reaction Score
The thing is that we shot 35% rather than 29 % we win the game.
Good teams find ways to win when shots aren’t falling. You could say that every game. If we only shot x % we would have won. Maybe there is a reason shots weren’t falling? Like be exhausted?

Reaction Score
Good teams find ways to win when shots aren’t falling. You could say that every game. If we only shot x % we would have won. Maybe there is a reason shots weren’t falling? Like be exhausted?
We missed 7 of our first 8 3's. Not exhaustion. Variance.

Reaction Score
I agree. What the heck is the thinking that leads to a 2 hour shoot around the day of the game? Raf said he has never seen that before. Then don't use your bench and expect guys to play 35 minutes. Doesn't seem too smart to me.

Reaction Score
I think it's right to expect that other teams will leave IW's defender in the lane. The adjustment we need to make isn't pulling Sanogo, nor is it to let IW hoist ten threes. The first adjustment you make when a team isn't guarding a big is that he spends most of the possession setting picks and screens on the perimeter. Not slip screens but solid screens. If he does that, and his defender isn't with him to help, we ought to be able to free the guys we want shooting 3s for open looks.
Thank you businesslawyer! I literally just yelled those words (good thing no one else is home, LOL). What you are describing is essentially a 2 vs 1 on the perimeter. This is exactly what Calhoun teams did. He didn't tell Voskuhl or Thabeet or OK4 or any other Center or PF to shoot a bunch of perimeter shots, although OK4 could make the 15 footer with regularity and Jeff Adrien and Kevin Freeman could as well.

The screen setter shouldn't slip the screens because then they are rolling to the paint where their defender is already planted. Just stay on the perimeter set off the ball screens for some clean catch-and-shoots or pick for the dribbler where he can constantly go back and forth left to right until his defender gets solidly picked and there is clean look.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Great post. Sum of it all, hey DH you're in the big leagues. Time to grow up, execute as a coach for a blue blood should. He needs to shore up.

In game and end game execution: Sum of it all, coaching wins games. DH's record win it counts - Suspect at best

Player development - eye for talent: ex. Marquette - Two major Fr. contributors in Cam Jones & high level transfers plus a killer in sophomore Justin Lewis

The Marquette example is what's driving folks mad about so little playing time for such a vaunted class and what of Springs, DH should have politely asked Springs to transfer a year ago rather than have the kid hold onto a pipe dream. Where is the development?????

Recruiting: See above rant. So glad Murray is here to help us out in this department. We need to hit on kids who can come in and play, period. This includes ensuring UConn-NIL partnership understands that as De La once said "the stakes are high". And you all know how I feel about this by now, DH YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE PORTAL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simply switching to a zone would have beaten Seton Hall. Hurley does have to mix up his defenses occasionally

How about one 12 foot pro curl on offense? Used to be a staple of our offense. The only thing we do now is shoot from beyond the arc or inside the box
Our offense gets stuck and is too readable. Don't see a lot of on court creativeness. Sometimes the offense is like operating a clinic at how to run down the clock. Opposing coaches must enjoy the game film. At least we have improved our in-bounds plays but, unlike many teams never create offense from it, it's just a reset with more time run off the clock.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Defense was fine, we gave up 59 pts. Offense was horrible, we only scored 55.

You can't win games with 55 pts. Too many wasted possessions and too many guys having poor shooting nights. Whaley nearly outscored the rest of the team.

Reaction Score
At least the answer to question posed in the thread title isn’t “Show up” anymore.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
How to beat UConn? Pump fake before shooting. All five UConn players on the floor will take the fake and jump simultaneously. The entire bench including the managers will jump too, and the cheerleaders and the band.

Reaction Score
Why press Gaffney? All you have to do is wait.
Ugh I hate this shot you took at Gaffney, but sadly I think you are correct. Look at Nova, when Gillespie goes to the bench Justin Moore enters the lineup and there is almost no drop off. Same with Marquette if Kolek goes to the bench Greg Elliot or Cam Jones enter the game and there is minimal drop off. But when Cole goes to the bench and Gaffney enters the offense really gets bogged down and Ray Charles can see the drop off.
After the Bahamas tournament, Gaffney's poor play is what really stood out to me but I chalked it up to early season rust, or maybe I was rationalizing that it might be that. I wanted Gaff to pick up his play after that tourney to help relieve Cole. if Cole has to constantly handle all the high pressure situations, play tough D on good opposing PGs, dribble the ball up the court and run the offense, and score especially in clutch situations and do all of this with minimal rest he will get burnt out.

I am not sure UConn can win a game where Cole is off.

Reaction Score
How to beat UConn? Pump fake before shooting. All five UConn players on the floor will take the fake and jump simultaneously. The entire bench including the managers will jump too, and the cheerleaders and the band.
Polley in particular goes for every fake to the left when guarding right handed players. Stand tall with your hands up and let them toss up a lefthanded prayer. Wait for them to come back to their right hand. That's what they're trying to get to usually.

Reaction Score
Hawkins does not need to be pressed as he turns it over in the frontcourt. Going into the season I was worried that we would over emphasize our halfcourt offense going through Adama. He misses too many shots from 4 feet or less and the other team rebounds, goes down the court and bangs a 3. 5 point turnaround. DH has not figured out how to use all the front court players we have and not giving any time to Johnson is really odd as that kid is talented. We are short a good 6'3'' guard who can really take the pressure off Cole and play in tandem with him. Ajax does not have enough of a midrange game yet or drive and get fouled game to be that guy. He should be a 3. I think Hurley had blinders on for this game. His 2 hour shootaround reinforces that idea. McDermott knew coming in how much Hurley had hyped up the loss to Creighton in the Big East Tourney (as well as the loss to Maryland). He had his team ready and is now 4-0 against DH. We need to wake up because just playing hard is not going to cut it the rest of the way this season. The staff has to up their game in getting the players ready to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom