How they've fallen: Ohio State @ Washington (Pac-12 Washington) | The Boneyard

How they've fallen: Ohio State @ Washington (Pac-12 Washington)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing that this would've been a top-15 matchup just two years ago. But with the Kelseys now gone, both teams are struggling.

It's also a matchup of McGuff's current and former teams.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Doesn't look like a whole lot of fans are there. I thought about going, but didn't make it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Peterson is rocking a face mask today, that's new. I noticed she had an ice bag pressed against her cheek late in the last game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UW wins 69-59. Already w/in 1 of last year's win total. Melgoza only player in double figures w/ 28. She found her 3 point stroke tonight, she's been struggling behind the arc. All other 9 players had between 3-7 points. Peterson had been playing well but I'm assuming the face mask threw off her shooting, that usually takes a while to adjust to. Both teams had 20 or more TO's. If UW could keep forcing them but quit giving it right back, they might be on to something.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's like comparing apples to oranges with this years OSU team to last years (not to discredit UW win at all), but Last Years team's lowest scoring output in a loss was 60 (against Duke) and lowest in a win was 73 (twice; against Purdue and Nebraska). So far this year, their highest scoring night was 76 against North Carolina. They haven't looked great as a team offensively (I don't need to even address defense considering who the coach is) so this loss doesn't surprise me because when "lowly" Washington came to Columbus to play OSU last year they really played OSU really close, despite have a foul call disadvantage 21-12. Coach Wynn was also a very engaged coach on the sideline during the game last year, unlike McGuff.

nwhoopfan, you obviously have more opportunity to see UW, have you enjoyed Coach Wynn as a coach and the direction of the program so far? I know it's early and it's hard to not compare her to what she replaced personnel wise so it's hard to fully judge her work, but I am curious as a fan how you like her.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I always liked coach Wynn and hubby, while at Long Beach State. She never got any top talent but always played some sort of pressure "D". She does get emotional but she really cares for her players.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed immensely with Coach Wynn. I remember when she brought her previous team to Corvallis in 1st round of NCAA playoffs and nearly sent OSU packing. Her teams are tenacious, tough, and play excellent defense. UW hired a great coach, and, will definitely improve going forward.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm impressed immensely with Coach Wynn. I remember when she brought her previous team to Corvallis in 1st round of NCAA playoffs and nearly sent OSU packing. Her teams are tenacious, tough, and play excellent defense. UW hired a great coach, and, will definitely improve going forward.

I remember that game. Was in the grocery store checking the scores on my phone. Left the store an saw that it still tight late in the game and was like... i gotta watch the end. I was driving home..... trying to watch the game at the same time :eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
nwhoopfan, you obviously have more opportunity to see UW, have you enjoyed Coach Wynn as a coach and the direction of the program so far? I know it's early and it's hard to not compare her to what she replaced personnel wise so it's hard to fully judge her work, but I am curious as a fan how you like her.

Yes, I'm happy with the direction Coach Wynn has the program going. She faced a massive rebuilding job, so it's going to require patience. They got blown out some last year, but it was surprising how often they stayed close to teams that had a huge advantage in talent. They played hard and appeared to never pack it in.

They were the walking wounded last year (as much or more as Notre Dame) and only had 7 in uniform by the end of the season. You can't play constant pressing defense with frequent substitutions with so few healthy players. Point being Wynn couldn't play the way she wanted to last year. Now she can, and she has a nucleus of players with 1 year under their belt that understand what she wants them to do. This season has been a mixed bag but there are some good signs. I am a little disappointed there isn't more consistent balanced scoring. The 3 freshmen all look like they can be contributors. Some of the upperclassmen have taken a step back and are less productive. Maybe because of less PT, but they need more than 2 double figure scorers.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm happy with the direction Coach Wynn has the program going. She faced a massive rebuilding job, so it's going to require patience. They got blown out some last year, but it was surprising how often they stayed close to teams that had a huge advantage in talent. They played hard and appeared to never pack it in.

They were the walking wounded last year (as much or more as Notre Dame) and only had 7 in uniform by the end of the season. You can't play constant pressing defense with frequent substitutions with so few healthy players. Point being Wynn couldn't play the way she wanted to last year. Now she can, and she has a nucleus of players with 1 year under their belt that understand what she wants them to do. This season has been a mixed bag but there are some good signs. I am a little disappointed there isn't more consistent balanced scoring. The 3 freshmen all look like they can be contributors. Some of the upperclassmen have taken a step back and are less productive. Maybe because of less PT, but they need more than 2 double figure scorers.

Thank you for your response. I enjoyed how involved she was coaching when she came to OSU. So I was curious how her players would respond to her, being that she wasn’t who recruited them. They seem to be clicking moreso this year than last so there is improvement, which is positive. But it sure will be tough to be patient as a fan. At least you’re optimistic about that coach...unlike me and the other fans at OSU. Hahah

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thank you for your response. I enjoyed how involved she was coaching when she came to OSU. So I was curious how her players would respond to her, being that she wasn’t who recruited them. They seem to be clicking moreso this year than last so there is improvement, which is positive. But it sure will be tough to be patient as a fan. At least you’re optimistic about that coach...unlike me and the other fans at OSU. Hahah

I'm just an outsider but the players definitely appear to enjoy playing for her to my eye. She seems very personable.

It's impossible to know how Melgoza would've developed under Neighbors, but as a Fr. she barely played and averaged like 2 points per game. Soph year she exploded to 19 ppg and 2nd highest scorer in the Pac 12 (actually led the league in scoring in conference only games). There was nothing from her first year that made me think she was going to be a star player. Not really sure what that means, just musings.

UW has had a very up and down history since I've been following at least casually for around 20 years. At times they were challenging Stanford for the conference crown, at times they've been middle of the pack, and some times they've been terrible. I guess it's fairly easy to keep expectations from being too ambitious since the school hasn't been consistently great. The Plum years were a lot of fun, especially her Sr. season. I'm glad I got to enjoy that era.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom