How the UConn Huskies Can Upset Boise State | The Boneyard

How the UConn Huskies Can Upset Boise State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read that and came away thinking we have no shot at winning this game. The author must have been given the title and forced to write the article.

Reaction Score
Realistic. I am just hoping for better all around play that shows that the team is learning and growing. We have so far to go.
me too.. HCBD did say a few times they want this time to be ready for the AAC schedule... I just hope we can sneak a win or 2 more from the non conference schedule than somehow eek out at least 4 victories in conference... That way we can still play after the regular season ends ( Bowl game ).

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The only way they can keep it close and hope for a win would be to put up some good stats offensively which happens to be their biggest weakness. BSU defense is not very good so far letting up 460 yards and 30 pts a game. You would have to score 24+ points and hope to contain their offense. I think they have a shot at slowing that offense down like they did at times vs BYU, but keeping up on Off is unlikely.

Reaction Score
The only way they can keep it close and hope for a win would be to put up some good stats offensively which happens to be their biggest weakness. BSU defense is not very good so far letting up 460 yards and 30 pts a game. You would have to score 24+ points and hope to contain their offense. I think they have a shot at slowing that offense down like they did at times vs BYU, but keeping up on Off is unlikely.

Those numbers are a bit misleading. BSU has a great front, they're in the top 10 in run defense so far this year. Most of those yards had come through the year against a not so good secondary. So basically it's going to be which can suck less, our passing game or Boise's secondary.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly BSU kept Ole Miss to 7 points late into the 3rd quarter. Then Ole Miss went off. We shall see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't know how everyone can feel so hopeless after a loss to a top 25 team and a victory, albeit an ugly victory.

Some of this crew was holding on that P could turn it around after Buffalo and waited week after week until Temple broke the dam.

These teams we are playing, suck. So while we may also, it's a fair fight. Do your part as fans and be a little optimistic, you guys are bumming me out.

Reaction Score
I don't think we can beat Boise unless we get several turnovers and a big play on special teams.

As for the rest of the season, our best shot at getting to six wins was through competent QB play. The one QB on the roster with any history of competence is gone, so I understand the hopelessness. I do think that the line and running game can improve over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
I am both an optimist and a realist. I think this team will continue to improve this season and look like a decent football team by November. There were good things in both the BYU and SB games that convinced me the HCBD is turning the program around from the steaming mess he inherited.
There were enough weaknesses shown in those games that make beating BSU a difficult (but not impossible task).
If our defense can tighten up and slow the BSU scoring rate and offense can connect on enough passes to open up the running game we will be in the game.

I really hope that happens, but it think we still have lots to work on as a team to get to that point.

Reaction Score
Simple. A couple of positive offensive series that result in points. The defense gets a turnover. Rent gets loud and game on. The offense needs to be slow and methodical and keep the defense fresh.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Complete a few more passes, smack someone in the mouth hard enough to gain 3.5 yds on occasion, don't give up big plays or turn the ball over.

My one worry is that Boise recruits the hard nosed kids that we used to get. It might be asking a lot for our guys to out tough a team like that, but I'm asking anyway.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
two early turnovers and a broken tackle on 4th down put us in a hole w/byu; two early turnovers put us in a hole w/sb. I'm still wondering what we look like in a game w/out two early turnovers.

Reaction Score
I am both an optimist and a realist. I think this team will continue to improve this season and look like a decent football team by November. There were good things in both the BYU and SB games that convinced me the HCBD is turning the program around from the steaming mess he inherited.
There were enough weaknesses shown in those games that make beating BSU a difficult (but not impossible task).
If our defense can tighten up and slow the BSU scoring rate and offense can connect on enough passes to open up the running game we will be in the game.

I really hope that happens, but it think we still have lots to work on as a team to get to that point.
I don't know that you can really make much of a case that we improved at all...well maybe special teams. The punter was better and so was the return game. We had fewer yards on offense, fewer passing yards, a few more rushing yards (81 vs SB 74 Vs BYU). Turned th eball over in our own end twice. If you want to argue that our defense played well in the Stony Brook game, you are welcome to do it, but we gave up a 14 play 88 yard drive that let them back into the game. Only a missed extra point and a botched onside kick kept them from winning. this hasn't really been discussed much but what in the heck was Priore thinking with that kick off. Kick it or try and on-side kick, but don't try and lob it tot he best hands guy on the Huskies' squad. given how bad our offense had been and how badly it performed after that kick, had he just kicked away, there was a real chance he got the ball back somewhere around the 30 or 40 instead of the 2. Two or 3 completions and they are in field goal range. Fortunately their coach was dumber than our coach at the end.

Reaction Score
Simple. A couple of positive offensive series that result in points. The defense gets a turnover. Rent gets loud and game on. The offense needs to be slow and methodical and keep the defense fresh.
I actually think that is what needs to happen. I'd have Whitmer throwing to guys out of the backfield, looking for Davis and the tight ends, because we really haven't established that we can run the football. If we try and be a running team, it will be 3 and out and Boise will win by 24.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Don't dig a 14-0 hole. Keep the crowd in the game and let the magic of the Rent take over late.

10am.

Reaction Score
If the offense can move the chains a little more consistently and be productive in the red zone our D will respond. Boise is not BYU. And they're not at home on the carpet.

Here is my super confident perfect world prediction.

1. Chandler Whitmer will have his best day thus far at UCONN 300+ yds
2. Arkeel Newsome will have over 100 all purpose yards. Max DeLorezo & Mariner 75 more.
3. Geremy Davis will have over 10 receptions for 150 + yds, Fox 6 more
4. No First half turnovers
5. Defense will slow Boise and contain Ajayi - D-line will continue to push
6. Obi, Jones and co. will also have great day
7. We will score 1 more special teams touch down!

This game will be dedicated to Casey. That's my perfect world scenario. Now let's see how many of my dreams come true! You have to believe!

P.S. I would rather say this than we are going to get blown away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom