How Recent Event Affect Danny and Geno, and what needs to happen. | The Boneyard

How Recent Event Affect Danny and Geno, and what needs to happen.

Reaction Score
It looks like the university is poised to lose a Title IX lawsuit.

According to ESPN, "there is compelling evidence that UConn has been inflating the numbers of participants in its women's programs to make it appear it was complying with the law."

So, given these troubling numbers, it seems like there really is only one way to have a healthy athletics program.

Otherwise Danny and Geno are poised to lose even more money.

If UConn cuts football, will mens and womens basketball get more of the 4 million dollar media deal and our other sports get to stay?

Judge puts breaks on UConn plan to eliminate women's rowing (espn.com)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
MrW5mUX.gif

Reaction Score
This is not going to be the straw that broke the camel’s back re football the school will just get rid of some other men’s sport no one cares about

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I heard that Dave Benedict was actually at rowing practice when he heard about the Title IX screw up. He nearly had a stoke

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
TBH, I did not even know that they had a rowing team, to begin with.
I met a member of the women’s rowing team at UConn back when they got elevated when football moved up. Overnight their club sport was varsity with funding while the men stayed at the club level, it caused some hard feelings.

Reaction Score
I met a member of the women’s rowing team at UConn back when they got elevated when football moved up. Overnight their club sport was varsity with funding while the men stayed at the club level, it caused some hard feelings.
They also received more scholarships ehen men's hockey moved to Hockey East.

Reaction Score
I heard that Dave Benedict was actually at rowing practice when about the Title IX screw up. He nearly had a stoke
Good joke, but the typos make it almost indecipherable. The edit button is your friend!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

According to ESPN, "there is compelling evidence that UConn has been inflating the numbers of participants in its women's programs to make it appear it was complying with the law."

So, given these troubling numbers, it seems like there really is only one way to have a healthy athletics program.

If UConn cuts football, will mens and womens basketball get more of the 4 million dollar media deal and our other sports get to stay?

Why would Geno lose money?

Reaction Score
What needs to happen is we drop a mediocre men’s basketball program an give the extra support to the highly successful Women’s team.

Reaction Score

The answer to your question is no. They will not get more. It will go toward reducing the deficit or if no deficit to the University general fund.

There are 2 competing philosophies at work here. 1 is title IX with its focus on equal opportunity. The other is the idea that athletics should be self supporting. Both are actually relatively new. And they clash. Reality is that most sports are not income generators. And that goes even more broadly for women’s sports. There are probably a handful of women’s basketball programs that run in the black. I would guess maybe 5-6. And most barely. 10 years ago there was 1. UConn made $1 million mostly because of their tv deal with CPTV. Now with those lumped into the league deals I’m not sure they even do or how it gets counted. I’m guessing they are the big East women’s basketball league in any media deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom