How our home fans look | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How our home fans look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
yea, its really annoying that the school doesn't try to make any accommodations for seating when students are on break.

Don't know for sure if they still do it, but when I was a student a couple years ago they always advertised that you could donate your tickets if you couldn't make a game over break, and the tickets were given to charities. IIRC, if you donated you had a better chance of winning the lottery for big east tickets. Not nearly enough people did this to fill up the student section for most games during break, but some did.

Reaction Score
This may sound idiotic for a post, but we have some of the least passionate looking fans around. On TV you can't tell if they're there for a UConn game or Disney on ice. Is it that hard to wear some National Flag Blue and White. If not for needing donor money, I'd move the students to mid-court in a heartbeat. They're always in blue and energetic. I thought maybe UConn could sell an official game day shirt for $10 and then you receive discounts on concessions when you purchase something with the shirt on, give them an incentive to wear it every game.
This may be a stupid topic, but I have very little to complain about with the game so I'm going after how we appear on TV.

If you start a post by saying "this may sound idiotic for a post," wouldn't you want to stop and delete it? Because trust me -- if it sounds idiotic even to you as the author, ....

Reaction Score
I understand that "good" fans are loud, as there is no question that an enthusiastic crowd can help a team play better and win games. Will someone please explain to me how the color of my shirt/sweater/sweatshirt makes my team play better?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, this was not started as an "our fans suck" thread.

Coulda fooled me. I'll keep saying it, you "fans" that don't go to games but badmouth those who do can all go duck yourselves.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Coulda fooled me. I'll keep saying it, you "fans" that don't go to games but badmouth those who do can all go duck yourselves.
Where did I say they suck? Right in sentence 2 I say least passionate looking. Made no other claims about their skills as fans. Please read before commenting.
As I said before, I haven't made a basketball game but do have season tickets to football. Is that enough to qualify as a fan and give me the right to comment on what I see? If not, please send me cash and I'll gladly buy a ticket to a game. Sadly, I do not have a money tree at home and football ticket money is what I'm able to allocate.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I agree. They should sell an affordable priced navy blue t-shirt that encourages fans to wear it to games. Lots of schools have "official gameday" shirts for each year.
08-12 student here, they give out FREE shirts to the students and they can't even be arsed to wear them. The only time you'll see a good crowd is like the Pitt home closer in 2012 where the shirts are there on the seats waiting for people.

Reaction Score
I haven't even the vaguest idea why it would matter to anyone what fans wear to games as long as they're not wearing the colors of the opposing team. I pay exactly no attention to this.

I am amused that there are people running some sort of a school spirit dress code competition in their heads that would cause them to see grown men at MSG wearing red and white clown pants and instead of thinking "are you going to get shot out of a cannon at half time?" feeling that UConn fans have somehow failed to measure up. If we all dressed in white (or blue), would opposing players say to themselves "I was confident before I got here, but now I'm not so sure about our chances because i see that the UConn fans really got their color coordination together today"? Or is this some sort of meta thing where we want fans from other teams who are also running a school spirit dress code competition in their heads to give us respect? "Oh no, a Syracuse fan found a whole section of people at Gampel not wearing color coordinated gear! The shame!"

This is really stupid even by Boneyard standards.
How hard is it for someone to wear a UConn shirt to a basketball game? Like really? Not saying everyone has to paint their face but you're picking out a shirt before going to a game...I personally can't conceive putting on a shirt that isn't a UConn shirt. I don't pay attention so much to it at basketball games so much but it really bothers me seeing whole big tailgates of middle-aged men wearing random polos/buttondowns at football games. Too cool to support your team? These people probably don't make into the game anyways. Say what you will but it really reflects poorly upon the fanbase and gives an air of apathy when you cant even be bothered to wear the school's gear. Kudos to people for buying tickets but c'mon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isnt an our fans suck thread. Wear a damn UConn shirt to UConn games. Stop getting defensive and do it.

Reaction Score
Don't know for sure if they still do it, but when I was a student a couple years ago they always advertised that you could donate your tickets if you couldn't make a game over break, and the tickets were given to charities. IIRC, if you donated you had a better chance of winning the lottery for big east tickets. Not nearly enough people did this to fill up the student section for most games during break, but some did.

Smart idea, but I'm pretty sure they don't do this anymore as I am a student and I've never heard anything about it.

Reaction Score
This isnt an our fans suck thread. Wear a damn UConn shirt to UConn games. Stop getting defensive and do it.

I don't really see why wearing a UConn shirt is so crucial to the experience of attending a game/providing a good home court advantage. I mean, when I go to games, sometimes I'll wear a shirt, sometimes I won't depending on whether I remember, but to me you're job as a fan is all in the vocal cords.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score

Here, here!! I wear Husky Blue most games, but I do not do it for the TV camera or for someone else's enjoyment. Painting your face so you get on TV does not make you a better fan.

As for the Indiana game at MSG. Their fans were either on a NYC vacation for the week or had the day attending their only game of the year. Husky fans, that made the effort, worked a full day & then had to get in from Fairfield/Westchester County or from somewhere else in the City.

There were plenty of seats at MSG, which was more of a shame than fabric colors. Time for some to open the wallet & make an effort.

Reaction Score
I don't really see why wearing a UConn shirt is so crucial to the experience of attending a game/providing a good home court advantage. I mean, when I go to games, sometimes I'll wear a shirt, sometimes I won't depending on whether I remember, but to me you're job as a fan is all in the vocal cords.
Come on man, it really doesn't take a lot of effort. Again, not saying anything about the volume of the building.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, this was not started as an "our fans suck" thread. For the most part we have good basketball fans. It was merely commentary on how we visually come off on TV. For me to comment on the fans I think I would have needed to be at the game, which I wasn't. This was directed to a degree at UConn Marketing to come up with an idea and to put a lottle ownus on the fans to look at how they dress prior to leaving the house/office. As we all know, perception is everything.

That's just it though ... unless we white the place out, it's never going to look visually impressive. We don't have Syracuse's orange ... Indiana's red ... heck, even UNC or Kentucky's blues.

When I'm at the games, people (myself included) are generally wearing their dark blue or grey UConn gear. It's just not going to pop on the ole TV screen.

Reaction Score
FeedTheDove said:

For the UCF game I wore a UCONN polo and a UCONN pullover and another UCONN pullover. All with the current wordmark. How did I do?

Reaction Score
For the UCF game I wore a UCONN polo and a UCONN pullover and another UCONN pullover. All with the current wordmark. How did I do?
i_like_that_workaholics.gif

Reaction Score
My only complaint about the fans are about the blue hairs who act like they just had knee replacement and yell at you when you stand - but then the free T-shirts come out and they jump out of their seats like their is on fire.

Reaction Score
My only compbetter than t the fans are about the blue hairs who act like they just had knee replacement and yell at you when you stand - but then the free T-shirts come out and they jump out of their seats like their is on fire.

No sh it. Once the free t shirts start flying they box out better than anyone in our frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can white out Louisville , seems like it would be the time to have such thing

After the UCF game, as the crowd was leaving, it was announced that Saturday vs. Louisville would be a Blue-Out. Hopefully this means t-shirts on each seat, not the half-baked White-Out they attempted vs. Syracuse in 2012 (Roscoe mugged at the buzzer) where they just told people to wear white shirts.

Reaction Score
After the UCF game, as the crowd was leaving, it was announced that Saturday vs. Louisville would be a Blue-Out. Hopefully this means t-shirts on each seat, not the half-baked White-Out they attempted vs. Syracuse in 2012 (Roscoe mugged at the buzzer) where they just told people to wear white shirts.

I left after the buzzer and I didn't hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom